The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #2281
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I thought about the chat skwirl as well, Flowren and I don't know how to spell it either!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #2282
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
skwerl
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM   #2283
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Look at all the Christmassy avvies! SPM and Bethberry were the ones I noticed most but there are others.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #2284
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
yes, i noticed some of the christmas avatars too!!!!!!!!!!
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #2285
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Thanks for the interest in my last avi, but I'm going for this one now. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #2286
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Note that, in Boromir88's avatar I cannot help, with these old eyes, but see Donald Rumsfeld, though I know that that's not who is pictured there.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #2287
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Look at all the Christmassy avvies! SPM and Bethberry were the ones I noticed most but there are others.
Pfft. You won't catch me doing anything Christmassy.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #2288
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

I like what you did to your avatar there Hookbil Not very christmassy though......

Quis ut Deus
Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #2289
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion
I like what you did to your avatar there Hookbil Not very christmassy though......
It's supposed to be what The Phantom and Alien* would look like if they did a Father Christmas and Elf routine.

*Comic strip characters from my Newspaper. See link in my signature.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-06-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #2290
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
It's supposed to be what The Phantom and Alien would look like if they did a Father Christmas and Elf routine.
I think you missed these guys here although I was wondering what exactly that dark figure in your avi susposed to be. The Phantom eh? hehe.

Quis ut Deus

Last edited by Beleg Cuthalion; 12-06-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #2291
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Note that, in Boromir88's avatar I cannot help, with these old eyes, but see Donald Rumsfeld, though I know that that's not who is pictured there.
Me too...

I'm glad that the ME Idol's ending and happy to see that Glirdy has already a new avvie... I'm still waiting to see Wilwa, Sleepy and Valesse to change.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #2292
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Haha alatar...ya the Coyote is taking a break. I'll help you out. It's one of England's finest poker players around...a true mastermind of the game...Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliot. His nickname suits his ability quite well.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #2293
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lol! I thought he looked like someone I could recognize, too...Donald Rumsfeld is a name I am familiar with. But, no, I KNOW I don't know Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliot.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 AM   #2294
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, good Boromir's avvie as come up.
To me he looks like Hannibel Lecter's brother.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #2295
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lommy I love your new avatar!!! Great work Valesse on making it!! That is exactely how I pictured Thin-Gloomy the dwarf.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #2296
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
shieldmaiden4xsword's is excellent.

And Glirdan's new one, with the dark winged person, is cool. I believe it's Glirdan's, anyway...

-- Foley
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #2297
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I must say, that's a very nice Christmas avatar SpM has.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #2298
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
I must say, that's a very nice Christmas avatar SpM has.
Oh, yes! I love it!

-- Foley
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #2299
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
I like Folwren's. Is it Joan of Arc?
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #2300
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I am quite fond of HKF's

'This is a warg,
This is a warg on drugs,
Any questions?'

I got a kick after seeing that.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #2301
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Thanks, Boro.

The concept was partly mine, but it was made entirely by Oro. It was an outgrowth of may days spent hanging out only on the Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread, and the dissatisfaction expressed with them there. The avatar earned much acclaim at the time.

Last edited by High King Fingolfin; 12-11-2006 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Posted before I was done
High King Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #2302
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm enjoying Mänwe's little Christmas series of avatar's.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #2303
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Kuruharen, I agree. And his latest one, with the Santa leaping out of the chimeny, is hilariously funny. I like it a lot.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #2304
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Me too, enjoying Manwe's Christmas avatars series immensely. The progression is especially fun to follow. Well, everyone's got some interesting seasonal avatars. Except for poor Mod Esty. You'd think Princess Fiona could use some green mistletoe or something.

What a shame we don't have an avatar mumseum--mathom house?--that would be something like the siggie memorial thread, where we could rest all avatars past.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #2305
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
What a shame we don't have an avatar mumseum
Hey!!! Heh, heh, heh. I could actually do that. I have all of my old avatar's saved. I even have them rated by which ones were most...uhhh...successful...pretty...best...thing.. .

Yes, I'm a nerd.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #2306
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Hey!!! Heh, heh, heh. I could actually do that. I have all of my old avatar's saved. I even have them rated by which ones were most...uhhh...successful...pretty...best...thing.. .

Yes, I'm a nerd.
Hey, I have pleasant memories of a host of your avatars, Kuru, as they have always been very evocative.

However, I'm waiting for someone to quote me on the Freudian slips thread for that typo of mumseum.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #2307
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I actually searched the web for a nice image of a St. Lucia crown for Fiona's holiday attire, but didn't find something I really liked - and couldn't have merged the images if I had. (sigh) Someday I will actually get down to learning how to photoshop... (I'd even give her a Santa hat, just because those look so cute on SPM and others.)

Oh, and add me to the list of admirers of Mänwe's holiday avatars!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #2308
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
(sigh) Someday I will actually get down to learning how to photoshop... (I'd even give her a Santa hat, just because those look so cute on SPM and others.)
Hey, who needs Photoshop? Being somewhat limited in available graphics software, I just use Paint. Basic but effective.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #2309
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Hey, who needs Photoshop? Being somewhat limited in available graphics software, I just use Paint. Basic but effective.
I'll give a second to that. Why waste money when you can get satisfying results for free! I certainly do like the santa hat, Sauce.

I've gotta say that I'm a big fan of Gil's new one. It's the bard from Final Fantasy II (the only one of the franchise I've played all the way through). Can't say he's the strongest character (he might actually have been the weakest), but I liked the way he fleshed out the storyline a bit. Anyway, it's fun to be reminded of those good old games.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #2310
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I find Macalaure's new avatar to be...disconcerting...

Paying money for photoshop?! *cough*pirate*cough*.....

I do love all the Christmas avatars...I need all the help I can get getting into the spirit with mid-term exams still left ahead of me.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #2311
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I'll give a second to that. Why waste money when you can get satisfying results for free! I certainly do like the santa hat, Sauce.

I've gotta say that I'm a big fan of Gil's new one. It's the bard from Final Fantasy II (the only one of the franchise I've played all the way through). Can't say he's the strongest character (he might actually have been the weakest), but I liked the way he fleshed out the storyline a bit. Anyway, it's fun to be reminded of those good old games.

i was debating between him and Kain, but i've always loved Edwards softness in the whole of the story and i always loved him as being the misunderstood prince that never fell in where he was suppose to and he still tried to help out his friends
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #2312
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I find Macalaure's new avatar to be...disconcerting...
Success!

Don't be scared, the Mime Avatar isn't going to survive the current WW-Game (and the mime himself probably isn't either! )
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #2313
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm rather fond of Lommy's new penguin avatar. I believe it's from Happy Feet, which is definitely the best movie I've seen this season.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #2314
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have been admiring Holbytlass' avator of late. It reminds me of the Reaper of Death, which I have seen illustrations of in Howard Pyle's books. Is it? It's very fitting for WW games...

-- Folwren
Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #2315
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you, Folwren, I don't know if it is. I was trying to find a "ghost of Christmas yet to come" for my holiday siggy/location/avatar trio when I came across it and thought it fitted nicely.

I'm intrigued by Naria's avatar. Always it looks to me as a huge frog (Celuien might like that!) eating a person. On closer inspection I think that it's supposed to be a person with lots of hair and a hood wrapped around.
I like pictures that show different things.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #2316
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Hmm, ya know Holby I never actually saw it that way. It does look like a big 'ol frog eating her. After what you said I looked at it closer and the hood thing really doesn't even look like a hood . And it looks like she is wearing some kind of armor too. Thanks, I would have never thought to look at her closer. She is rather intriguing isn't she
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #2317
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Palantir-Green

I am a pretty big fan of Happy Tree Friends, so I really like Macalaure's
Though my personal favourite definitely is Flippy
Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #2318
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh no! I just changed it back to the old one and then read this!

Thanks, TM. Maybe I'll be bringing up another one for the next WW-game.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #2319
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

Gosh, I am flattered that my avatar's have been met with a few smiles!

I recently noticed Bêthberry's new avatar, it had me staring for some time, trying to decipher what on earth it is...definately cryptic. luthien-elvenprincess's also amuses me.

Though to be honest, I've not yet seen a dull avatar in the Downs.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #2320
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
I'm rather fond of Lommy's new penguin avatar. I believe it's from Happy Feet, which is definitely the best movie I've seen this season.
It's actually not. It just looks like one and it also looked as christmas-ish as an avvie can get without any actual Christmas symbolics/objects.

I haven't even seen the Happy Feet yet. I've just not had enough time.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote