The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Agarwaen

Pipe The Entwives are in the Shire

My best friend and I have decided that the Entwives are almost definitely in the Shire (My bet is on the Old Forest; Tom Bombadil talks about it being incredibly ancient, perhaps even comparable to Fangorn). For one, when Treebeard describes the sort of country the Entwives loved (and thus, left Fangorn to seek), Merry and Pippin comment on how much that sounds like the Shire. Also, there's a passage in The Fellowship where Sam is in a bar having a conversation with some other hobbits:
Quote:
"All right," said Sam, laughing with the rest. "But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back."...
"But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking -- walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch."
"Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not."
"But this one was walking I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors."
Old 01-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Could be...what with Old Man Willow and all the Huornlike trees in the Forest....

However, my bet is that the Entwives were in Lindon. In the First Age, the Ents were definetly in Ossiriand, just west of Ered Luin. My guess is that the Ents and Entwives were seperated when Beleriand sunk, and the Entwives returned to the forests at the western base of the Blue Mountains. My second guesses would be, like you, the Shire, or perhaps Eryn Vorn.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You have a very good point!
Quote:
"But there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors!"

"Then he can't have seen one!"
I love that conversation. I subscribe to the genocide theory myself, and that that awful man Sauron wiped them all out, maybe sometime in the Second Age. I don't know why the Woodelves wouldn't have helped them out in that case, though.

Beware Estelyn's telescope icon. It's out there somewhere, lurking and looking for its next victim!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Quote:
My best friend and I have decided that the Entwives are almost definitely in the Shire (My bet is on the Old Forest; Tom Bombadil talks about it being incredibly ancient, perhaps even comparable to Fangorn). For one, when Treebeard describes the sort of country the Entwives loved (and thus, left Fangorn to seek), Merry and Pippin comment on how much that sounds like the Shire. Also, there's a passage in The Fellowship where Sam is in a bar having a conversation with some other hobbits
You forget that Treebeard says that the Entwives were different from the Ents and that they didn't look like them, they were smaller and had rosy cheeks or sth like that. And that they were a lot smaller.
They loved gardening and stuff like that, so they could'nt look like a tree. So, the walking elm in the Shire could not have been an Entwife.
Personally, I, too, think that the Entwives are in the Shire, but I fear they are dead by the Third Age.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, in a letter tolkein wrote, he said that the entwives were NOT living in the shire at the time of the fellowship. he said that he did not mean to have anything to do with entwives and that when hge was writing the chapters in the begging he did not know that he was going to include ents at all.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Lore Master, in fact Tolkien didn't conceive of Ents, he said they just sort of appeared in the Two Towers(take that however you like), therefore he could not have been thinking about them while writing the Fellowship. Still, my friend and I thought for a while that the entwives were in the Shire as well...maybe in his subconscious Tolkien was writing about entwives, he just didn't know it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 04:47 AM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yea, in the 'Retrun of the Shadow' , Treebeard is vaguely mentioned, as being the capturer of Gandalf. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote