The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Thumbs up Tolkien pal C.S. Lewis to have his Chronicles of Narnia series made into movies!

According to <A HREF="http://www.Narnia.com," TARGET=_blank>www.Narnia.com,</A> there are efforts in the works for a big screen adaptation of Tolkien friend C.S. Lewis's classic <I>The Chronicles of Narnia</I>. Walden Media has links on it, and there have been rumblings about it. <P>These efforts have been very tight-lipped, but ongoing for years now. With the recent success of The Lord of the Rings and (gag) Harry Potter, the company has begun scouting for location and such, and rumor has it that good old WETA has been picked for use in the effects and props and such. In a recent interview with Lawrence Makoare by TheOneRing.net, "But over in New Zealand they are going to start filming The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.. there’s a [career] possibility there."<P>For fans of the only other works which might be considered equal and on level with Tolkien's <I>Rings</I> triology, this is exciting news indeed! Are there any other rumors that have been heard by the ears on this board? (And forgive me if this is considered off-topic for a Tolkien discussion, but it must surely be a matter of great interest to many LotR fans)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! I have heard about it! Supposedly it would come out in summer 2004, but they'd need to hurry up for that.<BR>I used to be at a C.S. Lewis website, and someone there (supposedly) had contacted Douglas Gresham, Lewis's step-son, and the person said that Douglas would make sure that there wouldn't be a lot of merchandise made & that he would make sure they made the movie close to the book. On another note, one of the partner directors of Shrek was going to direct it. <P>I'm not sure how much of this is accurate, but that's what I know.<BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 10-26-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm....Haven't read those since high school! Might be time to give em a read again.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

That is AWESOME!!! I love <I>The Chronicles of Narnia</I> I've watched the ones made of <I>The Lion the Witch and the Wardrob- the Silver Chair</I> but it would be neat if they made the whole series! I especially like the last book in the series!<P>Isn't it true that they had a club of professors or something and Tolkein wrote the Fantasy series, C.S. Lewis wrote the Space Series (Out of the Silent Planet) and someone else was supposed to write another Trilogy about something else. Oh my moms yelling at me to do the rest of my Homework so I am going to have to finish this later.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are right, Lady Alasse. The club you are refering to is the Inklings. <P>I would really enjoy the <I>Chronicles of Narnia</I> being made into movies. However, given the length of the series, it would be a huge undertaking with a potentially monstrous budget. I cannot see many companies taking a risk on such a franchise, as it is not necessarily as marketable as a <I>Lord of the Rings</I> or a <I>Harry Potter</I>. It would be quite nice if it became a reality, as CS Lewis is one of my favorite authors. The <I>Out of the Silent Planet</I> series is truly fantastic, as are the <I>Chronicles</I>.<p>[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 10-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the person said that Douglas would make sure that there wouldn't be a lot of merchandise made & that he would make sure they made the movie close to the book. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Bummer! If that was to happen, I'd really WANT merchandise! I've already purchased both Narsil and Glamdring, and tons of action figures. I'd love to own, say, Peter's sword, or Edmund's or Caspian's. What about Queen Susan's horn? C'mon, they can't do that to us!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 10-26-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

A stuffed Aslan with detachable mane might be a bit tacky, though.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

If the makers of Shrek were to do the film adaptation of <I>Narnia</I>, I'd say: "Right on!"
Old 10-27-2003, 12:13 AM   #9
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I love the Chronicles of Narnia. In fact, I started reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe again today, as I haven't read it in a while. But I've probably already read it a total of 10 times! I do love it, and can't wait for the movies! I hpe they get moving, and start making them soon!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-27-2003, 04:36 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds super! I'm a bit of a Chronicles addict, so a screen adaptation sounds pretty darn good! Should be way better than Lotr! There's so much more to Narnia, I feel. Definitely appeals to me much more, at least.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM   #11
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'm a little apprehensive. I love Narnia, BUT I rmeber CS Lewis' estate a while ago palnning to publish more/difrent Narnia books, making them more "politically correct" etc. Yeuch! <BR>Anyway, I juts don't want the filsm to be watered down as part of that.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:22 AM   #12
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the Lord of the Rings much better than The Narnia series. They weren't quite descriptive enough for me. And Tolkien didn't like them while C.S. Lewis was reading them out loud to The Inklings, either.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #13
helín anyára

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A stuffed Aslan with detachable mane might be a bit tacky, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ha ha! I agree, Diamond18! <P>I heard this rumour over a year ago and have since been getting rather disappointed at not hearing anything else! So this is good news! It's been my hope that the producers/director of the Chronicles will have by now seen what fantasy can really be on screen, in LotR. There has been at least one, maybe several, generic attempts at making CS Lewis' into movies which I haven't had the heart to watch. But now I have a reason to keep waiting! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Should be way better than Lotr! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm... I wouldn't go THAT far. I would say that the Rings and Chronicles are the only things that could rival each other though. There are differences, but I love them just about equally.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:41 AM   #14
helín anyára

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I liked the Lord of the Rings much better than The Narnia series. They weren't quite descriptive enough for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Just a note: I'm sure the better part of die-hard Tolkein fans would feel this way; the Chronicles don't have near the detail or description, depth of language, history... However, they were not meant to. That is one of the differences I was referring to. Lewis wrote them for a younger audience, and deliberately wrote in a way that was conducive to being read out loud. They were written with slightly different purposes and styles, but still- each has its own place.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #15
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BUT I rmeber CS Lewis' estate a while ago palnning to publish more/difrent Narnia books, making them more "politically correct" etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Could they be referring to C.S. Lewis' occasional attacks of blatant mysogyny?<P>Meh. <P>Making anything more politically correct and less offensive is counter-productive.<P>I'd rather have more people be aware of what Lewis' deal was, rather than try to tame or sugarcoat <I>Narnia</I> somehow.<P>All things considered, Lewis was a cool writer, and I wouldn't mind seeing if the film adaptations continue, or stifle, the current fantasy craze in film, of which LotR & Harry Potter have been the front-runners and the trend-setters.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #16
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

This may be a stupid question but I know they could probably get by with doing this. Do you think they would make The Magician's Nepfew first or will they skip right to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe? Missing the Magician's Nepfew wouldn't take away anything from LWW but later on in the saga some important pieces will be missing.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:32 PM   #17
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm pretty sure they're making LWW first. That was the original plan, anyways.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #18
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I rmeber CS Lewis' estate a while ago palnning to publish more/difrent Narnia books, making them more "politically correct" etc. Yeuch! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know, and I wrote to the publishers that I protested. And in reply, they just gave me a bunch of meaningless words, meaning they're not saying anything in reply. <BR>That's why I hope Douglas Gresham is working on the movie too. Sorry Knight of Gondor, but I would like not having to see Aslan and King Peter bobble heads, or Edmund boxers, or, good gosh, Queen Susan Barbie Dolls!!! <BR>Anyway.<BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 10-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I liked the Lord of the Rings much better than The Narnia series. They weren't quite descriptive enough for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I think it was my loving the Chronicle of Narnia when I was little that made me love LOTR when I read it. I can remember my mom reading through the books with me and my little brother on her lap.<P>I think it would be really cool if someone would make the Space trilogy of C.S. Lewis's into a movie, although now that I think of it, they'd have to be very good to get it to come out right.<BR>
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #20
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> quote:<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR> I liked the Lord of the Rings much better than The Narnia series. They weren't quite descriptive enough for me. <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Actually I think it was my loving the Chronicle of Narnia when I was little that made me love LOTR when I read it.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think it was the same way with me. I'm reading The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe right now, for the first time since I've read LotR. I grew up loving Narnia, and then when I got interested in writing, I actually started writing a fantasy story, and now going back and reading it, it's more in the style of Lewis. Only thing is, now I like Tolkien even more, so I'm trying to change my writing style a little bit. Since I grew up loving Narnia, it's hard to say that I like any work of fiction more, but LotR in my opinion beats the Chronicles of Narnia Anyways, if I hadn't grown up loving Narnia, I don't know if I would have been so interested in LotR. <BR>Arwen
Old 10-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #21
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Narnia when I was in high school, and I still like to go back to the stories occasionally, but since discovering Middle-Earth in college, Narnia seems almost hokey to me in places. And it's not just because of the audience, because Tolkien originally intended LOTR as a sequel to <I>The Hobbit</I>, which is a children's book. It only later became something else. I like Lewis' sense of humor and some of the things he did with his world, but in my own opinion, Tolkien blows him out of the water without even trying.<P>However, I am not at all anti-Narnia. I love the Chronicles and would love to see properly done movies that truly do justice to the books--the Wonderworks attempts still make me shudder. And in doing justice to the books, I hope they start with LWW, as Lewis intended the story to be told. In reading the books (or watching the movies, should there be truth to these rumors) in chronological order, you could actually miss out on a lot of information; Lewis took it for granted that people reading MN had read LWW--that's why he didn't put as much explanation into things like who Jadis became and what happened to Diggory's apple tree; he assumed the reader knew.<P>Anyway, that's just my two cents (and then some). I'll now step down off of the soap box and shove it off in the corner for awhile.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'd go to Middle-Earth if I could, and though my allegiance is to the White City, my first pledge was to Narnia and the Lion, and it takes precedence. Not that I'll ever have the choice!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think it would be really cool if someone would make the Space trilogy of C.S. Lewis's into a movie, although now that I think of it, they'd have to be very good to get it to come out right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That'd be interesting, I think but probably too boring. Plus, Perelandra would be rated R! Remember? Ransom goes without a stitch of clothing!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:45 PM   #23
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

But I wouldn't want a Narnia bobble head. MAYBE action figures, and that's all. Oh, and of course swords. There's this one <A HREF="http://noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NG0736&catid=14" TARGET=_blank>ring</A> that I think would look like a cool Narnia Insignia, if it didn't look so Egyptian!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:41 AM   #24
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ok, now I have not read any of the Narnia books (another series that I have not yet read), but I do have a few questions...<BR>How many books are in the series? And how many films do you think there would have to be to cover the entire series?<P>Yeah, because of the success of LOTR. There has been a ton of fantasy/sci-fi books that have been optioned out by the movie studios to be turned into films. All of the movie studios are going out there trying to find their own LOTR. I don't know how many of them will actually be made though, because we are a group of people who most definitely demand quality, and will not accept a poor adaptation.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:07 AM   #25
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

There are seven books in the Narnia series, and due to the way they're written, they couldn't possibly pull it off in less than 7 movies. While it is a series, each book is it's own individual story that has some of the same characters as the other books, and some new ones. I hope this helps a bit! I'd be happy to answer any more questions you might have about them!<BR>Arwen
Old 11-02-2003, 02:26 AM   #26
Elsilda
Pile O'Bones

Elsilda has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia almost as much as I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings. But I am not too sure if I would like to see a movie made out of the Chronicles. Don’t get me wrong I am sure it will be exciting but I doubt they will be able to capture the book, like they weren’t able to capture The Lord of the Rings. But maybe the younger (and older) generation would enjoy the movies and maybe be tempted to read more (like LotR and Harry Potter did for many out there). So I guess it could be a good thing, lets just hope they get it right. But that is just my opinion!<P>Elsilda<p>[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Elsilda ]
Old 11-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #27
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Knight of Gondor why did you put the word "gag" in parentheses before Harry Potter. Do have something against the Harry Potter series?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:24 AM   #28
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

<I>The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe</I> was turned into a musical here in the Philippines, and I think CS Lewis' nephew (or was it the step son himself? I hardly remember anymore) came over to see it, and he loved it (it was really <B>really</B> great!) and I think the theater company gave movie rights almost two years ago to the producers and so there!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #29
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Posted on TheOneRing.net earlier:<P>------<BR>Narnia nearer NZ nod?<BR>Tehanu @ 5:18 am EST<P><BR>This was in this month’s Onfilm magazine in NZ, and I thought it would interest a number of TORN readers both for the crossover interest in Narnia and for the news of Richard Taylor, Grant Major and John Howe working on these films.<P>Onfilm: Confirmation was still pending at presstime that Kiwi Andrew Adamson’s Chronicles of Narnia dramatisation would be shot in New Zealand.<P>Investment NZ’s Paul Voigt would only say a decision is nigh but one source close to the Walden Media production believes there’s no doubt about the principal location.<P>"If The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe isn’t filmed here, it won’t be filmed anywhere."<P>The NZ advantages are considerable, ranging from a 12.5% rebate on its NZ spend under the proposed Large Budget Film Grant scheme to the Oscar-winning creature/special effects expertise of WETA. <P>Among those officially attached to the NZ$200 million project are The Lord of the Rings troika of Grant Major (production/design director), Richard Taylor (special effects) and John Howe (conceptual artist).<P>The Shrek director’s dramatisation will be live-action and feature a real lion. Said Adamson in July: "I read the book when I was eight years old and it seemed very real to me. Aslan has to be, first and foremost, a real lion."<P>The script is being written by Ann Peacock, who won an Emmy and a Humanitas Prize for A Lesson Before Dying.<P>Her upcoming projects include Country of My Skull, with John Boorman attached to direct and Sam Jackson, Juliette Binoche and Jon Voight to star; On the Ropes for director Brad Silberling; Marines of Autumn for Irwn Winkler; and Star Time, with Joel Schumacher directing Will Smith.<P>Walden Media, which has optioned all seven books in the Narnia series, is a subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, one of the largest privately-owned and operated ventures in the US.<P>Its affiliated companies are principall engaged in telecommunications and media, natural resources, transportation, real estate, sports and entertainment.<P>Walden originally planned to release The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe mid-2004 but the opening has since been pushed back to two years from now.<BR>-------<P>Just thought I'd share. This will be the series that will console us after the mania of LotR is gone. (HOW will we cope??)
Old 11-25-2003, 10:04 PM   #30
*LillianTinuviel*

Sting

OMG OMG OMG i SO LOVE the chronicles of narnia! its really exciting that they're being made into movies, i just hope that they dont mangle the books at all!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #31
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hurray! It'll feature a real lion and be filmed in New Zealand! *Claps hands vigorously like a two-year-old*<P>"Once a king in Narnia, always a king in Narnia." - Aslan

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #32
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Knight of Gondor you still haven't answered my question. Why did you put the word "gag" in parentheses before Harry Potter. Do have something against the Harry Potter series?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:56 PM   #33
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

The official website is really keeping a tight lid on things. I'm glad I found this thread, because I have been looking for info, almost fruitlessly. The news about a real lion and New Zealand is indeed most excellent, but I'm wondering how big the lion will be. Obviously they're going to have to do a lot of CG animation to make the lion speak and such (can you imagine a real lion being able to act out the part with Aslan on the Stone Table? And the lawsuits from animal cruelty agencies that would result if it did?) I'm interested to see what Weta comes up with, but I'm sure we can trust them to do a wonderful job. They'll probably be rated PG, so we can actually expect them to be scary (unlike the Wonderworks adaptations), but not very much so (if they wanted young children to be able to see it, they can't do all they could. There's a lot of opportunity for almost as much violence and scary special effects as LOTR has, if you really think about it). <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A stuffed Aslan with detachable mane might be a bit tacky, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds like my idea for a balrog action figure with detachable wings! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I've probably already read it a total of 10 times! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I actually just finished reading LWW. Since my dad read the whole series to me several times, and they were the first "chapter books" I ever read, and of course because I love them, partially for those reasons, I've read the whole of Chronicles maybe as much as thirteen times.<P>I think making the books more "politically correct" would be awful! I hadn't heard of that! Have they already done it? And that kind of sends the message that there was something wrong with them before!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Anyways, if I hadn't grown up loving Narnia, I don't know if I would have been so interested in LotR. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I completely agree, for the same is true in my case.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>I think it would be really cool if someone would make the Space trilogy of C.S. Lewis's into a movie, although now that I think of it, they'd have to be very good to get it to come out right.<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>That'd be interesting, I think but probably too boring. Plus, Perelandra would be rated R! Remember? Ransom goes without a stitch of clothing!<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wounder if they'd find some way to "fix" that. But that'd be awful! I don't think the Space Trilogy would make it as a series of movies. And besides, seeing Shelob will be bad enough. I don't think I'd make it through the fight with the Un-man. I'd be curled up on the floor of the theater with my eyes screwed shut.<P>As a last note, I sure hope they will do them in order, as it appears they will. Original order of publication, I mean. I've always preferred it that way.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 PM   #34
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ArathorofBarahir, it ain't the proper place to discuss the subject (though it has oft been discussed in forums and topics before), but yeah, I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series.<P>Luthien, about your concern for how well they'll be able to do Aslan. I have faith that it will work out well. Just take a look at the wargs! <P>I wish we could have a site like TheOneRing.net, except for Narnia. I'd start one, but I can't website compose!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #35
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Someone asked if they'd make <I>The Magician's nephew</I> into a movie as well, or start at LLW, and I just wondered, did I miss something or is there no MN part of the TV series? It starts with LLW doesn't it? I'll have to get up early this Christmas to watch it, Narnia is on TV every day every Christmas here <P>Does anyone know anything about casting? <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/" TARGET=_blank>IMDB</A> hasn't got anything, but I'll try to remember checking their page every now and then to find out..
Old 12-04-2003, 10:36 AM   #36
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Just a wild guess, as they seem to be in style. <P>I'd expect a CG-Gollum approach for Aslan now that the technique has been debugged and proven. I think it would work just like GollumStatue/Serkis. They'd scan a real lion, do some scenes with a real lion as appropriate, and then CG the rest. (I can hear the Lion-player now... "That's my spit!" Andy rocks...)<P>As for the order, the debate rages on, eh? Original order of publication versus Chronological order? (They do call it the Chronicles of Narnia, after all... and whether you go by English chronology or Narnian, MN does happen first. Publication order... well, if you were going to make all 3, would you show the Hobbit, first then LOTR, then the Sil? Or would you put the Sil first? And why?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #37
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Though most of it is under lock and key, it is known that Lion, Witch and Wardrobe is the one they're working on first. The BBC things didn't go as far as Magician's Nephew. They lost all twenty dollars worth of their budget. <P>I don't know about a CG-Gollum effect, but like I say, the wargs are lion-like enough!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:05 AM   #38
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Neat - I'll look forward to seeing that. (Like a lot of other people here, Narnia was sort of my fantasy training-wheel set - once my parents had finished reading me the Chronicles, it was time to move on to the Hobbit and LOTR). I'm sure the effects will be magnificent; the combination of real animals/CGI/puppets is frighteningly deceptive. (Anyone remember "Babe"? Apparently half the time they were using puppets. Darned if I could tell the difference). That's just a wild guess as to how they'd do it, but it seems like a practical one to me. <P>And oh yes, a stuffed Aslan with detachable mane would be a bit on the tasteless side. A toy Stone Knife would be really unforgivable, though. (To be honest, though, I'd probably go for some Experiment House letterhead. Am I the only one who thought that was a brilliant name for a school? Of course, I absolutely hated my own junior high).<p>[ 1:07 AM December 06, 2003: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 12-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #39
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, if I were making the Narnia movies, I'd put them in order of publication (always my favorite order. It just seems right to me). As to Tolkien, I think I'd do The Hobbit, then LOTR, then the Silm, so that I would have suitably introduced ME, and then gained audience interest enough that making the Silm would actually make sense. Or maybe just because that's the order I first read them in. As a side note, it always kind of bothered me that BBC stopped at The Silver Chair. Since The Horse and His boy is my favorite, I always kind of wanted to see a film version of that. Now it seems that I'll be able to.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> To be honest, though, I'd probably go for some Experiment House letterhead. Am I the only one who thought that was a brilliant name for a school? Of course, I absolutely hated my own junior high <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Experiment House letterheads! What an excellent idea! It is a most excellent name for a school. So realistic, so true. Doesn't everyone hate their junior high? I think it's pretty much required that junior highs be despicable.<P>As to merchandise, I wouldn't mind having a Dufflepud. Or a Puddleglum figurine. Or perhaps a model of the Dawn Treader. That wouldn't be at all bad. A minature Dawn Treader that actually floats. It has marketing potential, and it's pretty acceptable, if you ask me.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:34 PM   #40
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'll stick with swords, action figures, and Aslan insignia rings/flags!