The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
willowkeyjey

Tolkien If you were an elf, would you go to the Grey Havens or stay in Middle-earth...

...after the War of the Ring? To go or to stay, I would be torn.*frown* aahhhh but which one?? *Gasp..* The world may never know. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

(Title edited for readable spelling)

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you should know that on this forum, we use intelligible English, not chat abbreviations.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I must agree Merri, i could barely read that gibberish. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I would most definately go. Why stay in a place like Middle-Earth when paradise awaits? Unless my best friend was a mortal, I would be out of there in a flash!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

Ahh...yes I think I would go to Gray heavens....I think it would be a beautiful place to go for the rest of life.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I'd have to stay...as long as the Shire was in one beautiful piece!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Go, go go! after a couple thousand years in middle earth, I'd be ready for something "new" and fresh! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (not to mention perfect!)

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-12-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

a better idea would be to go EAST and travel all around the globe and get to the Valinor THAT way. Sweeet!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
Aelfwine
Pile O'Bones

Aelfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maybe you could read this or some of the other threads carefully which do use correct English, before you compose your topics:

Announcement: New BarrowDowns Policies

Aelfwine
Aelfwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though I could barely understand the topic of this thread, I would say I don't know. Because when I read the books I would always say to myself "why are all the elves leaving, why can't they just stay". But if I was an elf, would I go? I would have to say that I would probably go eventually, but I would stay in Middle Earth for a very long time.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:11 PM   #10
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Question

please re-phrase your question so that I may better understand what you are asking...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Yes, just a suggestion, Willowkeyjey, but I think you would get more responses if you changed the name of this thread.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

id go to the grey havens if there was nothing happening in middle earth. i would never leave during the war of the ring and miss out on all the action
Old 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM   #13
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would go to Valinor because Middle-Earth would become sort of old and dreary and I would be sad because everything in Middle-Earth dies and being an elf who lives forever that would make me sad.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #14
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since it's after the War of the Ring and all of the Elves & their creations are sort of "fading away" for lack of a better term I think I would take the grey ships. If the War was still going on I might stay.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #15
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Valinor, definetly. Fading isn't exactly a mouthwatering prospect, but those Elven ladies are. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #16
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, my character would stay in Middle Earth (or should I say does [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) but as for me I would go to the West after the War of the Ring, but not right away... I would probably wait a few hundred years or so. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Thread title edited for readability...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #18
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

The title is a little crowded. Anyway, I would probably leave, but not before Legolas and Gimli leave, Ithilien withers, and Faramir dies [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #19
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's no choice for the Eldar but to depart because over time they would weary of the Mortal Lands and set sail abroad
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:48 AM   #20
fairykisses

Silmaril

Valinor sounds alot better than Middle-Earth. Anyways, Frodo is there.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2003, 03:47 AM   #21
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i would go to the grey havens, but after aragorn died.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:05 AM   #22
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for myself, I would probably linger in Middle Earth, wandering the many realms and lands under the watch of King Elessar. After the Great King (so he was called in the first (and only) chapter of Tolkien's The New Shadow) died, I would take whatever ship would bear me to the Undying Lands. I would be in no hurry to depart to a place where I would spend the rest of my eternal life immediately after the War of the Ring.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #23
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think I would probably linger in Middle-earth until all that I had known had perished. It has to do with my personality. I have never been one to accept my fate, or meekly follow rules established by others. From the day that I was born, I have been a questioner, an arguer, and a fighter, and I will remain that way until the day I die. I don't think that I would thrive in an environment such as Valinor, just because it is too peaceful. Granted, war and conflict are horrible, but in a strange way, I am called to them. I need excitement and change, just as the Noldor did in the First Age. I would probably wither away in Valinor, since I would probably have nothing to do.

It really depends on the person. We shouldn't be misled by the descriptions of Valinor as a wonderful paradise, because even though it is, nothing will change. It is kind of frozen in time, just as Lothlorien is, and the only thing on its people's minds is preservation, not action. So it's a matter of personal opinion, I guess.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:48 PM   #24
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Sting

I would probably go to Valinor, but not right away. Unless there was a lot happening on Middle Earth that I couldn't bear to miss, I would clear out for an eternity of bliss.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:44 AM   #25
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

I like what you said, Finwe.
I would stay in Middle Earth for thousands of years before going to Valinor. After Aragorn had died and all the other elves left. Of course, that would be after I travelled all of Middle Earth and met many people and done everything there is to do! Also, if like Arwen, I had a choice to go to the undying lands or stay and marry the mortal man that I loved and becoming mortal myself, I would definately follow in the footsteps of Luthien and Arwen!
Old 09-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #26
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would eventually go to Valinor, but only after Aragorn had died and everything I knew was gone. That way I could travel around all of Middle-earth and meet lots of different people. I definitely wouldn't leave in the middle of the War of the Ring whilst all the action was going on, so I'd probably be part of the very last party of Elves that left Middle-earth.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:09 AM   #27
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Airerûthiel, sounds like we have the same plans! We could travel together [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] BTW, I love your signature!
The thing about leaving Middle Earth is that once you go to Valinor, you can't go back. So I think it would definately be better to wait a long time before leaving!
Old 09-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #28
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think I would have to travel all around Middle-earth definitely before even thinking about traveling to Valinor. Middle-earth is such a beautiful place, and it would be a waste to not see all that there is to see in it, before leaving it forever.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:53 AM   #29
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Before the war of the ring I would stay in middle earth to protect it from evil, but after the war, well, I'd be completely torn between staying and leaving! The havens would be peaceful, as woul Middle Earth, but some new evil might arise and need to be defeated!
Old 09-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #30
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think I would follow Galadriel's advice. If we, as elves, stay here, we would be destined to forget and be forgotten and to be a primitive culture living in caves... This is the age of men. The time of the elves is over.

I would certainly dwell here in M.E. a while after Sauron fell, to admire the beauty of M.E. and its imperfection. Probably I would be around King Elessar's realm till he died, to write his amazing story and keep it in a book so no elf or man would ever forget his rise to Kingship and his part in the defeat of Sauron.

After Elessar died, I would go to the Grey Havens... probably doing with Mattius said... And I would take with me all the written memories of Elessar's kingship... And a tale of Arwen's last days for Elrond, Celebrian and Galadriel to hear...

And I would stick close to Olorin and Varda in Valinor... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #31
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would probably agree with most of the people who have already replied, but it would be hard to decide.

I think it would depend on how long I had lived in Middle Earth. If I had been there for thousands of years, chances are I would have already seen and explored all the places worth seeing and fought in all the battles worth fighting in, so I might want to go to the Grey Havens just to find more adventure in another world. I might even go before the War of the Ring was ended. Just depends on what my feelings were for the whole thing.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #32
Enif
Pile O'Bones

Enif has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Enif
Sting

Well... I do have to consider the time I spent in Middle-earth, thouhg I think I would choose to stay, you know all that heaven thing must be quite boring, I'd rather go where the action is... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 07:40 PM   #33
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

Leave Middle Earth? I don't think I'd have the heart to! No, I'd stay behind, at least for another Age or two, in the forests and fields of the lands I've grown to love. After that, who knows? I may choose to leave.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #34
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

If I'd already seen most of ME, and if I wasn't close to any mortals, I would've gone to Valinor. If I'd been alive long enough, I probably would've gone there and never gone to Middle Earth. I don't like things to ever change.

[Edit: Happy 200 posts for me. <3.]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: QuickSlash ]
Old 10-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #35
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Regrettably, I would have to go to Valinor. In the Silmarillion, Arothir king of Nargothrond was slain. So to Mandos and Valinor is where I'm going! Actually, I would go to Aman anyway.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #36
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would go to Valinor. Unless I loved someone who could not or would not go with me. I also might stay behind so that Arwen would not have to wander alone after Aragorn dies.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #37
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
I would stay ine Middle Earth. Techniclly, The west is America, so not the pilgrims, but the Elves landed in America.Cooollllllll....

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #38
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Why stay in a place like Middle-Earth when paradise awaits?
I would definitely go to the Grey-Havens
Old 12-13-2003, 05:13 AM   #39
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

Quote:
I would stay ine Middle Earth. Techniclly, The west is America, so not the pilgrims, but the Elves landed in America.Cooollllllll....
*giggles*

I think I would leave. If all of my kin were gone, what would be the point in staying? Besides, I'm uber curious to find out what the Grey Havens are like [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #40
dubleu
Pile O'Bones

dubleu has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

you all speak of lingering till the last of this age is gone till you have done all their is to do and then you will leave and what will you do their ? you will sit and wander what if i had staid? what more could i have done ? when it comes to it the elvles decide because it is their choice to make , you cannot always leave and you cannot return this is why mortallity was a gift [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] is it paradise , really how, when you leave all that mortal beuty is, can the haven be paradise

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:42 PM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: dubleu ]