The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit
 
Victariongreyjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 83
Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
Ost-In-Edhil and the lands of Eregion

We don't have much to go on how the region looked like and were. But did the lands of Eregion, when they were populated by the elves, had the same timeless and ethereal feel of Rivendell and Lorien? Or was it more similar to the Shire with it's calmness and Ost-In-Edhil had that grand and splendind visual where the sun shined upon it? Making it looked more ethereal.

Last edited by Victariongreyjoy; 07-26-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade
 
Kuruharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: A Remote Dwarven Hold
Posts: 3,626
Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Probably.

Elves tended to have that effect on the places they lived.

This is cited in Fellowship.

Quote:
"There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there."
"That is true," said Legolas. "But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them: 'deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.' They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
__________________
...finding a path that cannot be found, walking a road that cannot be seen, climbing a ladder that was never placed, or reading a paragraph that has no...
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre
 
Inziladun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Heaven's doorstep
Posts: 7,904
Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The "timelessness" of Lorien and Rivendell was attained largely by the use of the two rings of the Three used by their Elvish guardians. Eregion had no such powers at work.

The Shire had a wholly different feel due to, I believe, the nearness of Bombadil, and its proximity to the Sea.

Eregion I see as more akin to First Age Nargothrond: impressive in graceful strength, but more "industrial", owing to the Noldorin focus on crafting.
Legolas noted that he could "hear" the stone of Eregion recalling the Noldor, but that to himself they were "strange".

x/d with Kuru
__________________
Music alone proves the existence of God.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit
 
Victariongreyjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 83
Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The "timelessness" of Lorien and Rivendell was attained largely by the use of the two rings of the Three used by their Elvish guardians. Eregion had no such powers at work.

The Shire had a wholly different feel due to, I believe, the nearness of Bombadil, and its proximity to the Sea.

Eregion I see as more akin to First Age Nargothrond: impressive in graceful strength, but more "industrial", owing to the Noldorin focus on crafting.
Legolas noted that he could "hear" the stone of Eregion recalling the Noldor, but that to himself they were "strange".

x/d with Kuru
Isn't it possible since Celebrimbor was the maker of the rings, he too could have used his powers on Eregion? Maybe not the whole of the realm, but Ost-In-Edhil and it's surroundings nearby?

And by the way, Nargothrond was a underground fortress right? Ost-In-Edhil is not, so since you said it has that graceful strength and were industrial, maybe it's similar to Minas Tirith.

Last edited by Victariongreyjoy; 07-26-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade
 
Kuruharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: A Remote Dwarven Hold
Posts: 3,626
Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
And by the way, Nargothrond was a underground fortress right? Ost-In-Edhil is not, so since you said it has that graceful strength and were industrial, maybe it's similar to Minas Tirith.
Quite possibly a comparison with Gondolin might be apt for Eregion.
__________________
...finding a path that cannot be found, walking a road that cannot be seen, climbing a ladder that was never placed, or reading a paragraph that has no...
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
William Cloud Hicklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,000
William Cloud Hicklin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.William Cloud Hicklin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
Isn't it possible since Celebrimbor was the maker of the rings, he too could have used his powers on Eregion? Maybe not the whole of the realm, but Ost-In-Edhil and it's surroundings nearby?
But if so, not in a lasting way. We know that with the loss of the Rings' power, Lothlorien became just an ordinary forest. Moreover, Celebrimbor could not have used any of the Three Rings for very long, because as soon as the One was forged he hid them (and none dared use them for the rest of the Second Age)
__________________
“It is good to be both loved and feared; but if one cannot be both, it is better to be feared than loved" --Machiavelli
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.