The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2002, 03:57 PM   #1
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Now you see me, now you don't!

I was just thinking (again - two nights in a row - thats a bad habit i'm getting [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). When Gollum used the Ring, he was invisible. Same with Bilbo, Frodo and Sam. And they're all hobbits (though we wonder, in Gollum's case). But if anyone else was to use the Ring (i.e. Aragorn?) would they become invisible too? Or is it just a hobbit reaction to the ring?

By the way - how did it fit their little fingers??? presumably they're much smaller than a man's fingers, and in the movie we saw the ring 'shrink' in Isildur's (pardon spelling) hand. Did it shrink further to fit the hobbits?!

Crikey, this question is flying off in every tangent...Apologies
Old 04-27-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In answer to the first question, yes, Aragorn (and most other people, excluding Tom of course) would have become invisable had he worn the ring. Isildur, Aragorn's ancestor, became invisible when he wore it. However, I'm not sure if Sauron, the ring's maker, would have become invisable when he wore it. Invisibility can be rather inconvenient sometimes.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:56 PM   #3
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

how come Sauron couldn't forge another ring?
Old 04-27-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

I think he put most of his power into the ring...Just like Feanor (that was his name, right? I get those elves all confused [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]) couldn't make more Silmarils, Sauron used all his abilities to make the Ring.
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:26 PM   #5
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, Sauron put most of his power into the Ring in order to dominate the others-but the Elves elves were aware of him and concealed their rings.
As for the size of the Ring-the Ring could slip off a finger if it so wished; it would have shrunk to fit the Hobbits as it had to fit Isildur.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 02:31 AM   #6
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

How come the ring didnt affect Tom Bombadil? I've been wondering about this [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 03:39 AM   #7
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Tom didn't disappear because...he's an enigma [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] teehee...there's lots of threads on the subject
I think part of the reason that it didn't affect him was something Gandalf said-he just doesn't realise the importance of it? If it was given to him he'd like as not lose it...perhaps this lack of respect for its power means it has none over him
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:40 AM   #8
TheWindsorStar
Pile O'Bones

TheWindsorStar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that's a good theory, Eowyn. Tom always seemed, for lack of a better word, a little ignorant about the outside world. Being that, what was happening away from his home had little or no effect on him. The ring, presumably, would be the same.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:22 AM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ya, I agree about tom. Didn't the ring only do according to the power of the warer? So the hobbits would turn invisable, but someone who was more powerfull could do more. For instace Gandalf, if he wore it he might have been able to turn invisable, but maybe he would also be able to do other things.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:11 PM   #10
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Tom is special! There is no question about that!

What Tom is I do not know (besides an enigma, of course), and I do not believe it is necessarily explained anywhere. Is it possible that he is some sort of Maia (as well as Goldberry)? I do not know...Oh well...

Just saying that Tom is special!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:09 AM   #11
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always been wondering why Sauron wasn't invisible when Isildur cut his finger - if he was, Isildur would have had little change of finding his finger in the first place! Maybe he was powerful enough to decide whether he wanted to be invisible or not.
Bad choice, in that case!
Old 05-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #12
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

But if Sauron was invisible, Isildur might have been forgiven for only cutting off his finger, and not killing him properly! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2002, 09:32 PM   #13
eruchild

Sting

Isildur couldn't have killed Sauron according to our understanding. Even after the One Ring is destroyed, Sauron himself wasn't completely annihilated, but rather he was reduced to a completely insignificant spirit left to wander aimlessly.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:49 PM   #14
Merendis
Animated Skeleton

Merendis has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

the ring does change shape and weight, seeing as to how it has a life of its own so yes, it did shrink small enough for hobbits fingers. That's how it abandoned gollum, it got too big for him when he was wearing it or something like that, and also notice how it gets heavier as frodo gets closer to mount doom? its not just his perception, it actually physically gets heavier too

Riding one day in the forest of the Westlands he saw a woman, whose dark hair flowed in the wind, and about her was a green cloak...and he knew her for Erendis...then suddenly he knew in himself the love that he bore her, and he felt the emptiness of his days.
Merendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 02:57 PM   #15
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

I agree on the Ring changing size for it to fit Hobbit fingers, but I disagree on the weight. The Ring getting heavier as Frodo approaches Orodruin is purely the Ring's affect on Frodo and it's not material. Otherwise Sam would have felt the weight too when he lifted Frodo, but it's clearly stated that the weight of the Ring wasn't shared between them.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 03:22 PM   #16
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good point, Orodhromeus!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:49 PM   #17
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Tolkien

Child of Eru...You're from Lincoln? So am I! Do you go to LCC? If so what is your name? I'm an R.A over in Harmony.