The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
Melhilion
Pile O'Bones

Melhilion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Lord of the Nazgul

Im reading ROTK and in chapter 6 they talk about the Lord or King of the nazgul. I was just wondering who that could possibly be.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Witch King of Angmar. I'm not sure if there is somewhere that talks about him before he was ensnared by the Ring, but he is the leader and most powerful of the Nazgul. There is a long history between him and Aragorn's ancestors that can be read in the first appendix at the back of Return of the King. Some folks skip the appendices when they first read the book, but appendix A is a must in my opinion.

H.C.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Nazgűl and their King are explained in our Nazgűl Theme on the main site. The theme also list many threads here in the forum that discuss the Nazgűl.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Lutfiska has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The witch king sure is my favourite char... big and mighty.. hey barrow-wight, wasn´t the witch king like among ten most powerful in ME? Maybe five most powerful. lol, why am I changing subject? must be because i´m swedish. We´re just sooo foolish
Old 03-25-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
lol, why am I changing subject? must be because i´m swedish. We´re just sooo foolish
That's true [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Afrodal Fenyar ]

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #6
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I agree that the witch king is the highest. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Eol, try not to write posts that simply agree with someone, and don't put forth a new idea. If you're doing it to increase your post count, just stop. You might want to read the Guidelines in the Novices and Newcomers forum about how not to post. I've noticed that you've done it in a couple of places, and I'm advising you to discontinue this practice, before the moderators start deleting.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:34 AM   #8
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

I have always wondered why out of the Nine Nazgűl, Sauron choose this particular "Black Captain" to lead the other Eight Nazgűl.
I am sure the Nazgűl needed a leader, however, why was this one (The Witch King) specifically choosen out apart from the other Eight.
Did the Witch King of Angmar possess any particular abilities which distinguished him from the others?
It is known that he played a vital role in destroying Arnor, only what i am asking, is how and why was he appointed to this role?
Does Tolkien mention any of this in his works? Apologies if this has been discussed before.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I agree that the witch king is the highest.
There's no need to post agreement with fact. The Witch King being the leader of the Nazgul isn't an opinion.

Quote:
I am sure the Nazgűl needed a leader, however, why was this one (The Witch King) specifically choosen out apart from the other Eight.
Letter No. 210, speaking of Zimmerman's attempt at putting the work to film:

Quote:
Their peril is almost entirely due to the unreasoning fear which they inspire (like ghosts). They have no great physical power against the fearless; but what they have, and the fear that they inspire, is enormously increased in darkness. The Witch-king, their leader, is more powerful in all ways than the others; but he must not yet be raised to the stature of Vol. III. There, put in command by Sauron, he is given an added demonic force. But even in the Battle of the Pelennor, the darkness had only just broken.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:20 PM   #10
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I have always wondered why out of the Nine Nazgűl, Sauron choose this particular "Black Captain" to lead the other Eight Nazgűl.
Did the Witch King of Angmar possess any particular abilities which distinguished him from the others?"

What do you expect him to do, breath fire and shoot lasers! Come on! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Leaders are chosen (ideally) because they're superior to the others. Isn;'t that enough?!

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was a great sorcerer and king. Hence the Name witch-king of angmar. Although angmar was made after Witch-king was ensared.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:20 AM   #12
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Quote:
What do you expect him to do, breath fire and shoot lasers! Come on!

Leaders are chosen (ideally) because they're superior to the others. Isn;'t that enough?!
Hehe...definitely [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was only curious and wished to learn if Tolkien elaborated on this subject in some of his writings. And it is evident that there is a reference to the Black Captain's superiority, as seen in Legolas' post. That was all i wished to learn...

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:55 AM   #13
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Yeah, sorry if I came across too harsh. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Just I'd been on tor.n, and after reading loads of posts by people who thoguht Grond was some kind of walking, talking, flying lizard, and NOT a battering-ram, despite the fact that...well, he is...I was very snappy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 12:19 PM   #14
Rasputin
Pile O'Bones

Rasputin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rasputin
Sting

hehe, witch-kings cool. and he flys around on this dragon type thing. But i'm a tad bit confused about his name. seemed like he would be called "The Warlock-king" or something a bit more fitting for a male
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #15
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Actually, witches can be male.

During the old witch hunts in past centuries there were quite a few male witches burnt; I beleive the majority of accused witches in Sctoland were men.

Sicne witch hunts were however excuses for sad pathetic villagers to hunt someone who couldn't defend themselves, old, senile women were the easiest targets. Hecne why nowadays witch = old woman.

Originally, he was the Wizard-King, and was a fallen Wizard. But obviously, that's all changed in the final version of LotR. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]