The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 03:22 AM   #1
Matthue45

Sting Entwives where did they go

I was looking over some maps of middle-earth (the full ones) and i was wondering about entwives. I was hoping someone from the barrow-downs might be able to help me with possibilities of where they went i would really appreciate help or information on this subject. I really want to know where they went.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Hi Matt,
Treebeard claims the Entwives went in search of lush nicely ordered pastures, orchards and the like far back in the past. He then seems to allude that some/all of their new lands were scorched in the Dark Days and thats when they lost touch.
Apparently the countryside of the Shire is the sort of environment that they like, and near the start of LOTR, Sam actually says that his cousin saw a "giant, a treeman, up away beyond the Water,".
The Old Forest also has Entish/Huorn connections, with that cranky Old Man Willow and all...
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Dont think anyone knows for sure.I have seen some threads on it and some folks think they went west and settled near the Shire,why it was so fair and green there,and i seen other ppl say they might of been slay by The Enemy.But in the end it never is said what their fate was or even hints to it. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think the 'giant-tree man' mentioned by Sam is an Ent/wife because:

1. Ents hadn't been concieved.

2. There is a mention of some 'tree-men' in the 'Tale of Earendil' in BoLT 2. So it wasn't simply made up on the spot

I think that the majority of the Entwives though Tolkien mentions in one of his letters that they may have been enslaved by Sauron.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

first they went east to the brown lands. when these were destroyed. it is l ikely that they moved to the od forest. after all, all those hints, such as: the path had been lost because the trees had moved, the trees move, old man willow
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:03 PM   #6
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

this is an age old question that will never be answered..But when I get to heaven, that's the first question I'm going to ask! (and then who the heck is good 'ole Tom Bombadil)
Old 02-03-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
little_bit_odd

Sting

If they did not find what they were looking for, they may have slowly lost sight of thier goal and 'fallen asleep' to become normal trees, like some of the ents did. They could be all around us! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #8
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
As the Ents could fall asleep and become trees, would the Entwives (smaller and more orderly) become SHRUBBERY ??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
little_bit_odd

1420!

Shrubbery...hmm...what about topiary? A forest of whimsical animal shapes would be creepier than Fangorn. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 07:37 PM   #10
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

But sam said that she (presumably she) was a willow.

Iarwain
Old 02-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #11
Nurdilion

Sting

well,,,here's my guess.
ok. melkor tormented elves and hence came the orcs. and Treebeard says that, in the same way, trolls were made in mockery of the ents. i believe that in the time right before the Last Alliance, Sauron wished to possess as much land as possible for his strength to build. So it is possible that he wished to possess the land in which the entwives dwealt. And i think that Sauron captured the entwives and created his own race of trolls, the olog-hai. Then the question would arise: Are then all the trolls female? Well,,,would anyone really be able to tell the difference between a male or female troll. And the same with orcs. Anyways that what i think happened.

Quote:
Po-ta-toes
Old 02-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

good point nurdilion. it is said that the olog-hai were different from other trolls, cleverer and able to withstand the sun. it is possible that they were made from the entwives.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #13
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Silmaril

ok what really happenecx to the ent-wives is they all went to the shire forest because they say that they see them in the old forest by the shire. Thus, treebeard was correct in assuming that ent-wives would like the shire.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #14
Knight_Link

Tolkien

My guess; the Entwives are somewhere around the Old Forest or somewhere in the Shire. I haven't read the books in awhile, but I seem to remember something about either Pippin or Merry saying something about who they had seen trees like Treebeard in some of the forests in the Shire...Can't really tell you for sure, though. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #15
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
ok what really happenecx
Please refrain from stating your opinion as fact. I also belive that they went to the Shire but there is no clear referece to back up that they actually did.

Very interesting point Nurdilion, very interesting...

I have a question. When ents/entwives fall 'asleep', does this mean that they would petrify after a lengthy given period of time?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:41 PM   #16
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well morgoth 'made' trolls, as Gothmog (the balrog) had a troll guard. who knows, Sauron may have mixed the two togeter! nasty!
Old 02-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #17
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Here is a quote from one of Tolkien's letters which I think is interesting:
What happened to them is not resolved in this book. ... I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429-3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin. They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved: tyrants even in such tales must have an economic and agricultural background to their soldiers and metal-workers. If any survived so, they would indeed be far estranged from the Ents, and any rapprochement would be difficult - unless experience of industrialised and militarised agriculture had made them a little more anarchic. I hope so. I don't know.
[The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 179 (#144)]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:38 AM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Some of the theories here are hair-raising and have nothing to do with a serious book discussion. Unless anyone has something well-founded to add, this will be moved to the Novices and Newcomers forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:26 PM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Far be it for me to quibble with a mod's decrees - your decision is of course law - but could I make a plea for my quote from Tolkien's Letters to be considered as serious book discussion?
Old 02-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Lalaith, your quote is the only reason this thread is still here and open...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
Melhilion
Pile O'Bones

Melhilion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok

If the entwives lived neer the Shire then the orcs that enslaved hobbiton must have came across the entwives and after reading the two tower i have learned that the ents are very big and very strong. So whatever forces came up against them it must have been something large.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:00 AM   #22
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Sting

*bows to ghosted princess*

Thank you.
I think there are other references Tolkien himself made to the issue, I shall try to find them when I have time.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:35 AM   #23
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the entwives were used by Sauron to create trolls. Trolls were supposedly a mockery of the ents.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #24
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Trolls were around way before the Entwives dissapeared. Or do you mean Olog-hai?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM   #25
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I also think that they went somewhere west of the shire. altough at the time of the war of the ring I think they may have died out or close to it
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote