The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe OK, you're excused...

"Does that mean Finrod was not under, or was excused from, the Doom of the Noldor?"

I asked that question on the way here, while reading the Silmarillion. I was on chapter 19 - Of Beren and Lúthien - when I came upon this line...

Quote:
[Finrod: ]Your oaths of faith you make break, but I must hold my bond. Yet if there be any on whom the shadow of our curse has not yet fallen...

(The Silmarillion 19)
He was affected by the curse, but it seems from this moment, the shadow of the curse itself has been lifted from him - akin to the Christian concept of salvation from mankind's inherent iniquity. The Prophecy of the North mentions treachery, the breaking of bonds; and Finrod, despite the fact that this oath would lead to his death, refused to break his bond, perhaps lifting the curse from him. Ergo, he returned to Valinor without the long stay at Mandos the curse promised.

Am I reading too much into this?

As usual...
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
Aredhel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Excused?

I think Finrod Felagund paid dearly - he took the worst for Beren!
His statement seemed to say that he was going to do his best for the future, despite being under the curse. Not many of the accursed could say that.
I believe that due to his sacrifice he's be dealt with in a more merciful nature, certainly.
Does this equate with Christian beliefs? Yep. But I think it's really just a moral thing. Do the right thing! Don't get all sour like the rest of one's family and sit around waiting for the end to come, or run into death on the wrong side of the fence.
I love a hero, especially one that remembers his promises. Finrod earned my "favorite Elves" award right along with Beleg Strongbow, (and we all know he didn't leave Turin in the mud just because Thingol told him he was a high risk dude.)
Unfortunately, though, Tolkien doesn't remark about Finrod's ultimate fate.
It seems to us that Finrod made his sacrifice with the full knowledge that he might not be forgiven, and that makes his death much more meaningful.
Don't cha think?
Aredhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Quote:
Unfortunately, though, Tolkien doesn't remark about Finrod's ultimate fate.
It seems to us that Finrod made his sacrifice with the full knowledge that he might not be forgiven, and that makes his death much more meaningful.
Don't cha think?
I fear that you have been a bit inattentive. But be of good cheer…

Quote:
…the green grave of Finrod Finarfin’s son, fairest of all the princes of the Elves, remained inviolate, until the land was changed and broken, and foundered under destroying seas. But Finrod walks with Finarfin his father beneath the trees in Eldamar.

-Of Beren and Lúthien, The Silmarillion

Emphasis mine.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Aredhel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand Woo!

Good one, Kuruharan - you caught me working from memory.
Aredhel is offline   Reply With Quote