The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Ring Formendacil and Nienna Announce Their Engagement

Because of the fact that this site played a central role in our original acquaintance and in the earlier stages of simple friendship development, it seemed fair that the "breaking news" of our engagement on the Internet should be made here, rather than Facebook--though the paparazzi have already leaked it there.

Approximately two years ago, I met Nienna, while I was meeting one Feanor of the Peredhil, whose roommate she happened to be. In the aftermath of that meeting, we became friends and when I was looking to make a major change in my life plans--and in so doing move as far away as I could from western Canada--I made a choice to go somewhere I knew people: namely Boston, where I had met the aforementioned ladies.

This fateful decision and the fact that Nienna was the person I knew best in Boston eventually led to our friendship developing into a romantic relationship, and even before I moved to Boston, we were "a couple" (as any Downer who was at Bostonmoot could probably attest). Yesterday I got down on one knee and pulled out a ring, and asked her to marry me--and she said yes!--thus putting us in line for becoming the next in a string of "Downer Married Couples."

Given the importance this website has played in allowing us to meet each other, you all have our thanks on that basic level, but you are quite a bit more than just that. Many of you have become the extended social circle that has provided a number of real-life friends, and it is highly conceivable that a number of you will be posting to the "I met a fellow BDer" thread in the wake of our nuptials (which, for those inquiring, is tentatively dated for "June-ish, 2012").
Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Silmaril

Let me be the first to congratulate you here, my friend! All the best wishes for your future happiness.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Many Congratulations Formendacil and Nienna!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Congratulations, my darlings. You know I've always wished you both nothing but the best. Unless you try to dress me in pumpkin orange (I am glaring straight at you, Formykins), in which case I am boycotting your wedding and sabotaging the hen party.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

Now if that doesn't beat the royal wedding! I'm glad for you two and wish you all the best for a happy future marriage!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Wow! Congratulations Formy and Nienna!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Congratulations to you both! Wishing you a very happy life together!!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Love both of you very dearly, you know this
Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420! <-- For your future, Formy and Nienna! :)

Congratulations!!!

I wish you all the best!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Thank you all for your congratulations and well wishes. For those who'd like the story in a bit more sappy version:

Formendacil and I were going out to my back yard to take some new pictures of us together. We were all dressed nice and I wanted a new picture of us together. We got out to the spot and then instead of pulling the camera out of his pocket he pulled the little ring box and got down on his knee. It was very adorable. And the ring is gorgeous (if a tad big).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Oh, no, not again...

No, seriously, congratulations to the both of you.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White Tree

I of course join the host of congratulations - this is wonderful news. I am very happy for the two of you, and I will save a prayer or two in your direction. And now that I think back, I must smile at the beauty of your "story". I just remembered certain Form saying somewhere randomly about three years ago something about wondering if meeting Downers in person might not be hazardous. I could perhaps put it a bit more differently (and it of course goes for both of you) - "it is a dangerous business, my dear Frodo, going to meet a 'Downer... there's no knowing where you might be swept off to". Just like with Bilbo, however, such a way of "being swept" might be a wonderful journey. So all the best for you two, sharing the journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Now if that doesn't beat the royal wedding!
Surely! I mean, really, this is something that really makes me happy, and interests me far more than some random royal folks (bah). Such a thing beats all front page news... and now I would really wish somebody to try to tell me that we live in a merciless and unfeeling world!

I just hope that Form and Nienna are not going to suffer from exactly the same thing as the royal family did, being in the center of attention of all 'Downers as celebrities, and that we offer them enough privacy to enjoy this happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Thank you all for your congratulations and well wishes. For those who'd like the story in a bit more sappy version:

Formendacil and I were going out to my back yard to take some new pictures of us together. We were all dressed nice and I wanted a new picture of us together. We got out to the spot and then instead of pulling the camera out of his pocket he pulled the little ring box and got down on his knee. It was very adorable. And the ring is gorgeous (if a tad big).
Only a small remark in the end - a tad big, you say? Just, well, you know, I suggest checking it in front of a fireplace. I mean, just in case. We all know Form is a nice guy, but... just in case.

"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Only a small remark in the end - a tad big, you say? Just, well, you know, I suggest checking it in front of a fireplace. I mean, just in case. We all know Form is a nice guy, but... just in case.
No no.

Crikey, this one's a beau'teh. Form-tested, Boro-approved...erm, ahem, Ni-approved too.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Congratulations! To happiness!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Congratulations!

As one who has recently attained the married state, I can tell you that a happy marriage is the most wonderful thing in the world.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Congratulations! I wish you both all the best!

(...but what kind of hopeless geek marries someone they met on a Tolkien forum? )
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Ah me! History, indeed, is much like an endless waltz: the three beats of war, peace and Barrow-Downers getting married continue on forever.

Many congratulations to the happy couple. Nienna, I don't know you so well, but I trust you are aware that your future husband is an esteemed scholar of Wargs and Wargdom in general; so I'm sure that the marriage will indeed be blessed.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow! Congratulations!

Maybe the Downs should start running ads for wedding gowns, halls, Rings, etc.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh, flipping seriously, again? Not another one. *grumble grumble grumble*

Ahem. I mean....

SQUEE! ^_^

Congratulations to the both of you! Now I wonder who will be next?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Congratulations to the both of you! Now I wonder who will be next?
My money's on any of the grumblers.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

*throws confetti*

The Wolfy-game dating site strikes again!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If someone would count the number of active posters and the intimate relationships come reality thereafter, the Barrow Downs would beat any "match-making" sites easily!

(love your comment Rikae!!!)

All the best to you, you good people!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I already expressed my greetings in another corner of the interwebs but I guess it's much different saying it as Lhuna, so...

Congratulations (again), Form and Nienna!

(Is it just me, or does there seem to be a pattern emerging?)
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #24
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
*throws confetti*

The Wolfy-game dating site strikes again!

I'll need to let mum know that her description remains valid.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations to you both!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Congratulations to the two of you! I wish you all the best!

But really, Formy, you should watch out - someone could make an inappropriate connection between this news and your signature:
Quote:
Wake now, wake now! War is kindled.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #27
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Happy news much? Congratulations!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Narya Making predictions...

I'll wager that in a few years there'll be a thread called "Yet another new 'Downer" started by Form and Nienna. How likely is this to happen? Pretty likey, methinks.

I'm so happy for you both! *jumps on her bed from over-excitement*
Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #29
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Dear Form and Nienna, many congratulations.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Oh yes! Best wishes for a long and happy life together! And many thanks for sharing your happy news with us.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

Kind of feeling the same as Lhuna - it would be appropriate to congratulate you here too. So, once more, congrats dear Formy and Nienna! All the best to both of you.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #32
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Congrats to you two! I hope you are happy together!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm rather late, but I just saw this today...

Congratulations, Formy and Nienna! That's really exciting. Hoping the best for you and that your marriage is a blessed one.

-- Folwren
Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #34
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I totally missed this as well - am terrible about checking the 'other' forums sometimes.

This is awesome. Congratulations to the both of you. I know this is at least the second instance of folks coming together after meeting through BD!

Any chance of a bit of Tolkiendom making its way into the ceremony? I can understand where it could be considered cheesy or whimsical, especially to family/friends looking on with no connection themselves, but it could also be done tastefully and appropriately.

Many who might criticize such should consider that they may be willing to have some sappy love song off the radio to serve them similarly. Is that so different?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Legolas, you have a bit more catching up to do...which do you think is the other one and we will fill you in....I mean there are babies who are no longer really babies now.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #36
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Barrowdowners have trouble holding still for photos...

Even [or especially] while celebrating the nuptials of Mr. and Mrs. Niennamendacil.

(From the left: Encaitare, Bethberry, Lariren Shadow, Boromir88, Rune, Ni, Formy, me, Wilwa, Glirdy, and Mirandir. Photo credits for this particular shot go to Mira's fella with a shoutout to Mira for disappearing with me in the middle of the Reception to go buy more batteries.)

--

(I'd hold off on posting pics until they're back from their honeymoon, but they're all over Facebook already from just about everyone in attendance.)

--

MANY CONGRATULATIONS TO MY SISTERBIRD AND MY HONORARY BIG BROTHER!
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Excellent!

Many congratulations to both, and my prayer for a long and happy life together.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Pictures are everywhere, but I just have to put up a couple of favs...like teaching Wilwa the electric slide

It was a beautiful wedding and much love to the bride and groom.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Congratulations!!! My best wishes to you both!

Bethberry, beware - you'll be pestered for details the next smial moot!

PS: looks like you all had loads of fun there!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Hooray!

Huzzah and huzzah again!

Best wishes now and for all your days to come!