The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
TIG CXVII: Admin Thread

Welcome to the 117th game of Werewolf! Technically the 116th, Rikae's game, hasn't happened yet, but I have faith that one day it will. This is the place to discuss rules, roles, and other game details. I am putting up a tentative outline, subject to discussion and feedback and finetuning. Please chip in to help make this game as balanced as we can.

Set Up
Barahir's band of 13 (or 11 or 10, however many we get) men could not be put down by strength alone, so Sauron decides to conquer them by sorcery. Unbeknownst to the rest, 2 (or 3) of the men have been replaced by Sauron's puppets, intent on wiping out the rest one by one. By his sorcery, they were made identical in shape to the men well known to Barahir and his loyal followers, impossible to distinguish by appearance. Will Barahir's band survive, or will Sauron triumph?

Wolves - Sauron's puppets / spies
Ranger - Beren
Seer - Barahir
Ghost - Gorlim (note: this is not one single person)

ROLES
The Goodies: win when all the wolves are gone
Ordinary villagers, aka ordos - the bulk of the village. No special powers, no Nightly activities.
Ranger - during the Day, acts like an ordinary villager. But at Night, selects a villager to protect by sending the mod a PM with the identity of their chosen target. If the wolves and the Ranger target the same person, there is no kill that Night. The Ranger may NOT protect himself. He may NOT protect the same person for 2 Nights in a row.
Seer - at Night can dream the identity of other players. Sends one name via PM to find out their role each Night, starting on Night 1.

Ghost - a "traveling" role. Players on the DT may be elected to become the Ghost for 1 Day and haunt the GT. See the DT section for details.

The baddies: win when the number of wolves is equal to the number of innocents
Wolves - 3 in quantity. Pretend to be innocent during the Day. At night, plot and choose a villager to kill. The identity of the kill is communicated to the mod at Night by PM.

** All PMing roles, please send your picks at least 15 minutes before DL.**

THREADS
Game starts with Night 1. Wolves may PM and plot but not kill, Seer may dream. The rest of the game rules and Nightly activities kick in starting on Day 1. The first Night just allows the wolves to say hello to each other, and gives the Seer a head start.

Game Thread, aka Living Thread, aka GT
The realm of the Living, and the Ghost. Players may only post during the Day. Before the end of the Day, they must cast a vote to select a player to be lynched. That player joins the Dead Thread at DL.
During the Night, only the wolves and gifteds are active via PMs. Players killed during the Night join the Dead Thread the following Day, at the announcement of their death.

Dead Thread, aka DT, aka The Cuties
The realm of the Dead. They may post in both Day and Night phases. During the Day, they participate in the living lynch by casting a collective vote. The person with the most votes will receive a vote on the GT; in the event of ties on the DT the first person to reach the max number of votes is selected. During they Night, they vote on whether or not they want to send a Ghost for the following Day, and who the Ghost should be.
  • During the Day, the Dead cast their votes for a Living player. Whoever gets the most votes at DL gets an extra vote, by the same principles of voting as the Game Thread works. The Dead-deadline is identical to the main DL.
  • At the start of the Night, the DT gets a snippet of information from me, not too revealing but giving some info about the previous Day, including wolf and gifted activities. Once a wolf joins the DT, the release of this info will be delayed by 6h. The wolf/wolves will be given an option of 2-3 sentences by PM; the one they choose for publication will be posted. They have 6h after DL to make this choice. If an answer is not received by then, one of the sentences will be posted at random.
  • During the Night, the dead get to mull over this info. They also vote for a Ghost or No Ghost. Person with most votes will be selected as the Ghost on the break of Day, and the name announced on both threads. If the majority of votes say ++No Ghost, then no Ghost will appear.
  • If a Ghost is chosen, for the duration of the next Day he haunts the Game Thread. During this time he cannot look at the DT or participate in the DT vote. In the GT, he can only speak in Tolkien quotes which must be in full sentences and at least 5 words long. References are appreciated but not required. He is not allowed to quote players, link, emphasize text (eg bold/italics). There is no limit to how many posts he can make that Day, or how many Tolkien quotes he can put in a single post. He does not vote on the GT.
  • The Living cannot give specific instructions to the Ghost, under punishment of Isildur's Curse: they shall be banned from both the Living and the Dead threads. They are allowed to ask the Ghost questions, and of course allowed to discuss the Ghost's statements.
  • A Ghost may only be sent 3 times in the game.

OTHER RULES
Voting:
  • Living players MUST cast a vote every Day while alive. Failure to vote for 2 Days in a row without extenuating circumstances will result in being sent to the Dead Thread prematurely.
  • Players in the DT are strongly encouraged to keep participating, because they can still influence the outcome of the game. However, they are not obligated to do so, and will receive no punishment for not voting.
  • Votes must be cast before the DL. Votes at DL:00 will be counted, but DL:01 is considered late and therefore the vote will not be counted in the tally.
  • Votes should be on a separate line and highlighted for easy visibility, thus:

++G55

To make them red, use [highlight!] and [/highlight!] without the exclamation marks (they are there to prevent the code from disappearing).
  • Tied votes: still open to proposals. Some possibilities: First to reach tie is lynched. Last to tie is lynched. Neither is lynched. If DT vote is involved in the tie, that vote carries more weight than a Living vote and breaks the tie.
Deadline:
  • 11pm GMT

All players must turn on Invisible Mode (found under your Control Panel).
All players must make sure there is room in their inbox for PMs.

VICTI - errrm, PLAYERS:
Formendacil
Huinesoron
Greenie
Loslote
Legate
Soriman
Pitch
Morsul
Sally
Boro
Kath
Lommy

Sign-ups will remain open until 1h before DL before the start of Night 1, ie 10pm GMT on April 19th. Night 1 starts 11pm GMT.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-19-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Carrying over discussion from the general TIG thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Sorry; I meant that "the Ghost" could be a role used by the DT in one of two ways: either to send in during the Day to talk to the LT, or as a Dead Seer read. In the latter case, there wouldn't be an actual 'Ghost' talking to the Living.
Ah, as in: we want to use one of the 3 Ghostly apparitions to dream Living!G55 instead of sending a messenger.

Or: we vote Dead!G55 as the Ghost. Now, G55 has a choice, to either haunt the village during the Day, or at some point that Day to divine the identity of a villager, but not both. I suppose the Ghost would have all Day to make the choice, until they commit to one path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Nice development of the idea. So the dead wolf gets to decide what the dead learn? Secretly, or does everyone see their options?
If everyone sees it, that loses the point, no? I was thinking that I PM the wolf, and they have, say, 12h to make a choice on which statement gets shared with the DT. This gives them two benefits: they see more information than the rest of the DT (and might divine the gifted's identity perhaps), and they have some control over the information that the dead innocents see. At the end of 12h, if the wolf does not respond, I will select a statement at random to post, so the DT is not left floundering without information. The 12h can also be a shorter time, say 2h. Preferably something that doesn't bias against a particular time zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Do these Night effects also happen on the Night when there's only one dead player? It would be kind of funny for a dead Wolf to come back and just mock the living all day long.
I would say that's within the rights of a Fenrissed Wolf. ^.^

The consolation prize of the D1 lynchee is that they get to control all the power of the DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I'm kind of inclined to the liberal version, perhaps with the proviso that if it really breaks things, the mod can switch to a limited version for subsequent ghost appearances.
That's sensible. If the first apparition breaks things, the rules may be modified for the subsequent ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
As long as the mod is fair when it comes to subjective posting (is "long quotes aren't very helpful" an instruction? How about "that wasn't very helpful"?), sure.
I think that falls within the realm of general discussion. What I wouldn't want to see is "If you know G55 is a wolf, post a quote from A Long Expected Party. If you think but don't know G55 is a wolf, post a quote from An Unexpected Party". But interacting with a Ghost is fine, I think, via responses like "I think the Ghost means X", or "that wasn't very helpful". I am inclined to allow questions, eg "Ghost, is X true?", without instructions about the answer. But that can probably be abused more... Suggestions?

Also, would it be fair to limit the Ghost's power just slightly, by making him wait at least 10 minutes between posts? That can curb last-minute ouija sessions at DL, but still allows ample participation throughout the Day.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-15-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Realized one of my sentences made no sense.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
[*]At the start of the Night, the DT gets a snippet of information from me, not too revealing but giving some info about the previous Day, including wolf and gifted activities. As a way to include dead baddies, perhaps in the event there is a dead wolf, I will give them a choice of 2-3 statements, and they get to choose which one gets revealed.
I really like this - it's nice to give the dead baddies a little control over what info is shared! I think if the Cuties are essentially an information sharing role, we should have a Ranger instead of a Seer, but that's just my two cents. The proposed deadline works great for me, and I'm excited for this game!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn... er, Night

Count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moddess
Or: we vote Dead!G55 as the Ghost. Now, G55 has a choice, to either haunt the village during the Day, or at some point that Day to divine the identity of a villager, but not both. I suppose the Ghost would have all Day to make the choice, until they commit to one path.
My first gut reaction is against this, simply because there's nothing more frustrating for wolves than to actually sniff out and kill the Seer only for the mod*dess to pull a backup Seer out of their hat. As long as the divined info is only divulged to the Dead and a subsequent ghost has no way of revealing it unambiguously I suppose that's ok.

Last edited by Pitchwife; 04-15-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I’ll do it
Old 04-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

And the village grows! Wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
My first gut reaction is against this, simply because there's nothing more frustrating for wolves than to actually sniff out and kill the Seer only for the mod*dess to pull a backup Seer out of their hat. As long as the divined info is only divulged to the Dead and a subsequent ghost has no way of revealing it unambiguously I suppose that's ok.
I think part of that set up is that there is no Seer in the game; we are working with very small numbers, this may change as people sign up. And from the way I understood Hui's proposal, if the Dead decide to dream instead of haunt, then the info is only revealed to the DT (or even just to the Ghost), and they lose one of their shots at communicating with the GT. It's a very roundabout one-time *dead* Seer.

However, if there are going to be more sign ups and we will have a Seer after all, I think this function would be excessive. In that case, the DT will potentially have information via a real dead Seer. Without a Seer though, it's one of the several proposed ways in which the DT can be useful for the GT. Still up for discussion. I'm in a neutral position on it, and I think the decision will rest largely on numbers and the existence of a Living Seer.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I feel the info the DT is already cryptic and then the ghost can only communicate in quotes so not like they can pop in and say “yeah Morsul killed me” so I’m in favor of that idea
Old 04-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I got my first of two Covid vaccines, which is a net positive, but it's left me knocked out today, so I'm just popping in to say that I am in favour of a generally weak Ghost (i.e. a feather on the scales of the game, not a game-changer), but if we remain in a low-numbers situation, I'm fine with making it a combo-role with the Seerish aspect.

Mind you, whatever rules are decided on, I'm game to play regardless.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #9
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pick me! Pick me!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:23 AM   #10
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I think part of that set up is that there is no Seer in the game; we are working with very small numbers, this may change as people sign up. And from the way I understood Hui's proposal, if the Dead decide to dream instead of haunt, then the info is only revealed to the DT (or even just to the Ghost), and they lose one of their shots at communicating with the GT. It's a very roundabout one-time *dead* Seer.
That was my idea, but I'd be the first to say it isn't fully developed - more, in the manner of Password musings, a partial concept put in to give other people ideas.

I think the 'Mod infodump + standard Ghost' concept is probably a better one - it lets the mod control what the DeadThread can learn, and keeps them from lucking into being a massive game-changer. Like, if they scan Galadriel55 as the last wolf, the Ghost can just go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotK
The Dead awaken;
for the hour is come for the oathbreakers:
at the Stone of Erech they shall stand again
and hear there a horn in the hills ringing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR
Up from the dark plain below came the crying of fell voices, and the howling of many wolves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR
Even as he spoke, they saw, as if she came in answer to their words, the Lady Galadriel approaching.
Which would be a fairly epic way to end the game, but also kind of unfair on the wolves: a Ghost Seer means they can't even fake-reveal to protect themselves!

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Which would be a fairly epic way to end the game, but also kind of unfair on the wolves: a Ghost Seer means they can't even fake-reveal to protect themselves!
Hmm, good point. I guess there's the flip side: the wolves have no Seer to fear unless the Ghost makes the grand reveal, and the village don't have a Seer's hints to go on. But your demonstration has made quite an impression.

Okay, perhaps a lighter Ghost is a better idea for a test run.

Now if both Boro and BG are still game, we will have 11 players. I think that borders on allowing a 3-wolf pack and/or a Seer. If we are still 9 total, I would stick with 2 wolves + 1 gifted, but 11 might accommodate the upgrade. Thoughts?

On the topic of Boro and BG, I sent them a PM asking to confirm their willingness to join on Monday. Can someone also reach out via other platforms, so they might see this earlier and have some advance warning of the game start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I think the 'Mod infodump + standard Ghost' concept is probably a better one - it lets the mod control what the DeadThread can learn, and keeps them from lucking into being a massive game-changer.
That is a responsibility I am a little nervous about. To make it more objective, I made a list of topics to base the clues on (eg player's names, roles, etc). I could randomize the list each Night to give some level of objectivity to making the hints, but it would all have to be tempered with judgement anyways.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
As usual, I haven't delved into the rules yet, but I'd like to sign up.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Lommy!
Old 04-17-2021, 05:46 AM   #14
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Boro kindly just poked me to see if I'd like to join so can I add my name? I'm more limited for time than I'd like but should be around from about 6pm GMT until the deadline.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #15
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Boro kindly just poked me to see if I'd like to join so can I add my name? I'm more limited for time than I'd like but should be around from about 6pm GMT until the deadline.
I now propose that we change the deadline to 6:59 GMT, as Kath will then contractually have to be around 23 hours and 59 minutes.

Actually, on the subject of deadlines, I should chime in that I like the 11 GMT/ 7 EST (is there a Daylight Savings messing around in there? I thought the difference between GMT and EST was five hours).
Old 04-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome Kath and Lommy!

I suppose that makes it 12 people, whether or not BG comes back in time for the start. I think this might be big enough to revert to a 3 person wolf pack + restricted Ranger (no protecting self or twice in a row) + Seer. Ghost would not have any dreaming abilities. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Actually, on the subject of deadlines, I should chime in that I like the 11 GMT/ 7 EST (is there a Daylight Savings messing around in there? I thought the difference between GMT and EST was five hours).
Yes, there is. Normally it's -5, but for half the year it's -4 because of clock change. For reference, it's currently 10:10am local time for me, I believe it's 2pm GMT, and proposed DL is in just under 9 hours.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #17
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
. I think this might be big enough to revert to a 3 person wolf pack + restricted Ranger (no protecting self or twice in a row) + Seer. Ghost would not have any dreaming abilities. Thoughts?
Sounds fine to me.

Quote:
. . For reference, it's currently 10:10am local time for me, I believe it's 2pm GMT, and proposed DL is in just under 9 hours.
Can confirm this was posted just after 2 pm GMT, which is currently 3 pm in the UK due to summer time.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Welcome Kath and Lommy!

I suppose that makes it 12 people, whether or not BG comes back in time for the start. I think this might be big enough to revert to a 3 person wolf pack + restricted Ranger (no protecting self or twice in a row) + Seer. Ghost would not have any dreaming abilities. Thoughts?
I also like this generally standard arrangement.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Welcome Kath and Lommy!

Sounds good to me.

Btw if I happen to be MIA or less active than usual on D1 it's because one of our RL bitches is about to have RL pups any day now. If all goes according to schedule the little critters should be delivered by Daybreak, but you never know. (Also we're still thinking about how to name them - any suggestions? They'd all have to start with an M, since it'll be our 13th litter.)
Old 04-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

More DL clarification

In case the DL is still confusing, with DST and such, this post is made at DL. If this time works poorly for you, I can move it up or down an hour without much problem, but you need to let me know ASAP.

Game will begin on Monday April 19th, ie 48 hours from now. Sign-ups will remain open until 1h before Night 1 starts, at which point I will assign and distribute roles.

Consensus on roles: 3 wolves + 1 Ranger + 1 Seer. 3 Ghost hauntings maximum per game. To be revised if unexpectedly we get to >15 players.

Consensus on vote rules has not been reached. We have to go with something, so here is a draft. If you would like it modified, speak now or forever hold your peace.
  • Dead vote breaks the tie. If a tie occurs on the GT and one of the contributing votes is the DT one, it will push the scale over. Power to the DT.
  • On the DT, and on GT if the Dead Vote is not involved: first person to get the votes is selected.
  • Dead Vote comes in at DL. The Living will not know who the Dead voted for until the final tally, but the Dead are not forced to vote early.

Is that all that needs to be settled before the game starts? I feel like I'm missing something. If it comes to me last-minute, I guess I'll be making a unilateral decision. So please speak now if you want to change the rules.

Quote:
Btw if I happen to be MIA or less active than usual on D1 it's because one of our RL bitches is about to have RL pups any day now. If all goes according to schedule the little critters should be delivered by Daybreak, but you never know. (Also we're still thinking about how to name them - any suggestions? They'd all have to start with an M, since it'll be our 13th litter.)
Congrats on the new pups! That's exciting news!

If there was one with really dark fur, would it be presumptuous to name him Melkor?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Sounds good to me.

Congratulations Pitch! Dang I was going to say Bilbo. I think Bilbo is a good dog name. Umm, you have collies, if I’m not mistaken? Well, you could go with Manwe and then whichever seems like the most rebellious of the litter would be Melko. Melko doesn’t sound too bad...Manwe on the other hand *shakes head*
Old 04-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #22
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Well, you could go with Manwe and then whichever seems like the most rebellious of the litter would be Melko. Melko doesn’t sound too bad...Manwe on the other hand *shakes head*
Danger, Will Robinson! Nomen est omen... We had an Alduin in our very first litter, guess what, he Ate the World and grew way too big for the standard; then last year's K litter, I named a bitch Korra (as in Avatar: The Legend of Korra) and she turned into an unruly tomboy. Guess it's time to break out the old Silmarillion index - let's see: hmm... Maglor, Maedhros, Mablung... Melian, Miriel... Mithrandir, Mithrellas... OK, I think we've got them covered.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:29 AM   #23
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
In case the DL is still confusing, with DST and such, this post is made at DL. If this time works poorly for you, I can move it up or down an hour without much problem, but you need to let me know ASAP.
It's 2 AM here, so I think it's safe to say I won't be around at DL - but no need to change the DL on my account if it works well for everyone else! If anything, it's conveniently late enough that I won't be tempted to stay up until then (unlike, say, a midnight DL, which is awful if you have work in the morning but really really want to stay up and see the madness unfold )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Woohooo! We're going on an adventure! 10PM GMT is 3PM my time which is right when I'm eating lunch most days. So that's a tiny bit inconvenient and I might not be able to be here at the last hour. G55 mentioned that I can write the narrations (and not play) so I can always write ahead of time and G55 can submit it. I'm free for the rest of the day though!

Edit:

Quote:
Ghost - a "traveling" role. Players on the DT may be elected to become the Ghost for 1 Day and haunt the GT. See the DT section for details.
It might be interesting, maybe for a game in the future, where the person chosen to be a Ghost gets to log into an anonymous "Ghost" account for a day and no one in the Living thread knows who they are.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 04-18-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #25
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Woohooo! We're going on an adventure! 10PM GMT is 3PM my time which is right when I'm eating lunch most days. So that's a tiny bit inconvenient and I might not be able to be here at the last hour. G55 mentioned that I can write the narrations (and not play) so I can always write ahead of time and G55 can submit it. I'm free for the rest of the day though!
Nice to have you here! We'll figure something out about who and when will do the narrations, and I can always put filler posts to be narrated after if you're not around at DL. I was thinking about doing a Barahir theme, because you can have Gorlim haunting his mates, but if you have other narration ideas we can change it up! Let's PM and sort this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
It might be interesting, maybe for a game in the future, where the person chosen to be a Ghost gets to log into an anonymous "Ghost" account for a day and no one in the Living thread knows who they are.
Ha!!! That would be brilliant! A shared Ghost account, used solely for these games.

I also see this as an avenue for a lot of pranks, which, if used in moderation, makes it even more brilliant.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:24 AM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand

As Greenie said, the DL is 2am Finnish time which is... not ideal, but doable. Certainly better than the later deadlines we've had in many games!

I will do my best not to be around for the last 1-2h on weekdays because I do have work in the mornings, but on weekends I will probably be glued to the screen until DL, night owl that I am.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ah, here's the thing I forgot to check with people. I have not yet determined roles, so this is in no way biased. How long to dead wolves have to "sit" on the mod-info before one of the statements becomes public knowledge? In considering this, I am cognizant that DL is at 2am for a number of you, and therefore doing something brief like 1-2h would be cruel. Waiting for when you lot wake up ~6h after DL or later is a bit cruel to me, because them I end up having to sit up into the Night waiting for the response. 12h is a possibility, it ensures that both I and all members can be awake at the right time, but it leaves less time for the DT to react to the info.

But I have a co-mod! BG, would you be available >6h after DL if you were to post this info?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #28
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Quote:
But I have a co-mod! BG, would you be available >6h after DL if you were to post this info?
Yes! That will be around 10PM which would be perfect for me!

Edit: I don't really understand what's going on though. Are you saying that the Night will only be 12 hours long?

Granted I did just wake up so give me some time for my brain to turn on

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 04-19-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #29
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Yes! That will be around 10PM which would be perfect for me!

Edit: I don't really understand what's going on though. Are you saying that the Night will only be 12 hours long?

Granted I did just wake up so give me some time for my brain to turn on
No no no no. But this is perfect!

Basically, every Night we mods will reveal a little bit of info to the DT, in somewhat vague statements (eg "the wolves did not all vote together"). When a wolf joins the DT, we present them with 2-3 sentence options, and they get to decide which one becomes "published" on the DT. I was thinking what would be the best way to time it so that in a single Night the dead wolves have a reasonable chance to see the statements first, but the Innocent DT also has a reasonable chance to mull it over, make deductions, and possibly select a Ghost.

So if you are game for this, I can PM DeadWolves + yourself with the options, and they will have 6 hours to send you a choice. At DL+6 you will post the answer on the DT. And if for some reason you don't have an answer on time, pick one at random.

I think this timing solution works out for most time zones. Let me know if I'm actually not correct. We have until N2 to figure this out.

Edit: ...wait, hang on. That means the GMT time zone is stuck making a decision between midnight and 6am. Maybe this actually isn't the best time. Uuuugh!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-19-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #30
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Is there anyone in England that is playing? Would it be better to have a 6PM GMT deadline? That would be 8PM in Finland, 11AM in Arizona. I would give more room for discussion.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #31
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is there anyone in England that is playing? Would it be better to have a 6PM GMT deadline? That would be 8PM in Finland, 11AM in Arizona. I would give more room for discussion.
There are people from the UK. And the flip side of an earlier GMT DL is also an earlier EST DL (6pm GMT = 2pm EST = middle of workday). There is no good way of doing deadlines, is there?

Let's then leave it at DL+6h for the Dead. The real DL takes priority over the DT. If there is a dead wolf for whom this DL is inconvenient, maybe we can be a bit flexible mid-game with the timing.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #32
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Just as an FYI, I'm in Alaska right now, which is GMT-8, so a GMT 6pm deadline would be 10am for me. So we're almost as spread out as we could be, time zone wise, and I don't think there is any time that would be good for everyone!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #33
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sign ups are closed. Roles will go out in a few minutes. Ordos, I will send you roles but it might be after the start of N1.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #34
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Please can the mod confirm how any ties will be broken on Day One.

(I know, I should have asked earlier... sorry!)

hS
Old 04-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

First person is lynched.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #36
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
First person is lynched.
Thank you.

hS
Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #37
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Stop posting. Greenie is first to reach vote count and is therefore lynched. Narration to be posted in a few minutes.

All of you commenting on possible cobblers - did you forget there's a cobbler in the game?
Is there? It’s not mentioned in the roles in the original post.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #38
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Is there? It’s not mentioned in the roles in the original post.
Mod55 is a perennial Cobbler. -_-

hS
Old 04-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Mod55 is a perennial Cobbler. -_-
You know me too well. ^.^
Old 04-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

This is a non-urgent request for all players to make sure you have space in your PM box.