The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien H.R. Giger No. 270: Mystery Illustration?

I was rummaging through an postcard bin today in an old bookstore, when I came across a postcard with an illustration by H.R. Giger titled "Lord of the Rings II: No. 270" I've never seen this illustration in any of the books or even on any website, so I was curious if anyone knows anything about the history of it, or can explain what it is supposed to be... Is it just an abstract expressionist painting of the Lord of the Rings? Or is a very fantastical representation of Fangorn? Or Lothlorien? Just curious...

The illustration can be found here:
http://www.littlegiger.com/limited/items/270.html
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
It's concept art for an abandoned film project, "Alien vs LotR".
Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am not sure about this one... I know some of his works, I was on his exhibition here a few years ago, and I know he did several landscapes (ahem, or something that was supposed to be such) of "Mordor" etc... this could be, possibly, one of them, but I can't say for sure, also as the picture is not very big, I don't seem to recall it - maybe if it were bigger... but as I know he has been doing more illustrations of the same, so maybe this is another of his "Mordors"? Not sure whether it won't be called "Mordor" itself... don't know.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm familiar with the Mordor painting that you are talking about, but no this is not one of them. On the postcard it just says, "No. 270 Lord of the Rings." I'm willing to take any suggestions/ interpretations about what you think it is. Crazy though they might be...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Despite it's greeness I thinkit is just too scary for Fangorn - Minas Morgul would be my guess though you lose a lot of detail when you zoom..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Minas Morgul is also one thing I thought about, however I don't like the odd things in the middle down there. I also thought about some really nasty Amon Hen. Well, maybe Amon Lhaw then, as it was used by Mordor's scouts. Or what about these hills in front of Black Gate?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

But then... it's so green... and (I suppose it's hard to tell from this small picture) it seems very mechanical. Almost like Star Wars or something. Down the sides are long pipes, so maybe it has something to do with Orthanc/ Saruman...
Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
...could it be the fallen oliphaunt in Ithilien?

Probably not. There's a bigger picture here. (It's the green one.)

http://www.morpheusmuseum.com/contemp/giger/index.htm

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I found Lord of the Rings 1 here by simply typing "Lord of the Rings" into the search bar.

Both prints are in his book "Necronomicon." They seem to me to show no resemblance to the Tolkien novel other than the names themselves.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It is a quite interesting illustration and most of all it seem to represent a mood or a feeling, rather than some specific place.

However this could also be a pit of Saruman or as some has sugested a place in Fangorn. . . I hope that somebody knows the answer so that we will get pass this stage of speculation.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
...could it be the fallen oliphaunt in Ithilien?
I see what you mean.

Anyway, lots of Giger's work is mechanical based (In fact, all except one in Oddwen's link), so maybe thats just a style, and it could be something entirely different.