The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Tolkien's own art

Does anyone know of a website that contains the actual artwork of Tolkien himself? Characters, in specific.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Also

Does anybody have the picture of The Fellowship drawn by Pauline Baynes when Tolkien was still alive?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm... well I did find one website with lots of Tolkien art. Not all are Middle-earth related and most are landscapes, though there are a few drawings with characters in them.

Tolkien art

I believe it's an Italian website. That's the best I can do so far, but I'll keep looking.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated
Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Do you mean this one ? I hope so because that is my all time favourite cover. I see that cover and I'm off, whisked away to being a kid again and reading for the first time. Sigh.

Or how about this? This is by Pauline Baynes too and was on an early (the first?) Canadian paperback edition - and is also found on a map of Middle-earth that she drew, but I can't get you a decent link to that!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks Lalwendė! That last one might have been the one. That first cover is amazing, I agree. I don't really like the second one much, it reminds me of bad 1960's/70's animation...little comic book characters, or something. The color is overly bright. I hope Tolkien didn't think all his characters looked like that .

I think the second one might be it because I read somewhere that Tolkien approved of Pauline's drawings of The Fellowship, and that Legolas was hooded so his hair color was not shown. He looks hooded here. I had an image in my head that the picture would be facing frontwards, but perhaps this is the right one. What do you think?