The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
Sting Enya's "May It Be" from the LotR soundtrack

i am wondering what the rest of the world thought of Enya's "May It Be" personally, i fell in love with it, but that's not the point...so what do you think?
Old 04-13-2002, 05:10 PM   #2
Vinyamarien
Pile O'Bones

Vinyamarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I don't know what the rest of the world thinks , but I like "May It Be" and "Aníron" almost makes me cry every time I hear it. I think Enya was a good choice, she seems to be so out- of- this- world and whenever I hear her, I can easily imagine there's an elf singing... Altought, I have to admit I didn't understand the text of "Aníron" until I read it...<p>[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Vinyamarien ]
Old 04-13-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
Elvellon Erelion

Sting

Apparently they were not the first songs she wrote inspired by Tolkien’s work, have anyone heard Enya’s Lothlorien? It’s from Shepard Moons, I think.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:32 AM   #4
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

I think it's a beautiful song. The whole soundtrack is fantastic, but May It Be is just....lovely.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:15 AM   #5
starbreeze

Silmaril

I fell in love with it too, and the rest of the soundtrack. So beautiful, almost the most beautiful music I have ever heard.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

It is a very good song that captures the end of the movie very well.<BR>Yes, I have heard Enya's "Lothlorien", and I love that one as well!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #7
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Enya's contributions to the soundtrack really heightened the other-worldly mood lent to the music of the elves, especially Aniron. And May It Be always tranports me to mystical places whenever I listen to it. What can I say, I'm an Enya fan!
Old 04-14-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I was an Enya fan since I was about 13. I was afraid to admit it for a while though, because I thought other children may beat me up for having what I deemed to be a "geeky" taste in music. Oh the joys of being the odd-kid-out in Middle School....Not!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #9
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The First time that I heard this song was on MTv and it moved me. I felt like kneeling down on one knee, lowering my head and accepting a blessing. <BR>Weird, but it's the way I felt for the first time that I heard Enya's "May it be".<BR>I don't get that sensation anymore after having heard it so many times thereafter.<P>~Plugs into Iron Maiden's 'To tame a Land'!~<P>Know Peace !<BR>
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:52 AM   #10
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I love it to, but which character does everyone think it's about, personally i think aragorn, but my sister thinks its about frodo and she's probably right!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Actually, it makes me think of Sam (because of what he's in for in the next two movies). But for the first movie it would have to be Frodo.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #12
Sirithregion

Sting

I love "May it Be" too, but I prefer "Aniron", just a matter of personal preference. Both are great . Enya has an amazing voice, but unfortunately I didn't like her live performance in the Oscars :/. She seemed a bit... nervous? I think that's the word
Old 04-15-2002, 05:58 PM   #13
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I love her music. 'May It Be' is my favorite. I go around singing it and I get odd looks. Oh well. It makes me think of every one in The Fellowship, I mean they all go through hard stuff. Well Boromir is dead so he doesn't go through much. I am the odd one out in Middle School... I can't wait untill 9th grade... then I get to be the odd one out in High School. Luckly I have very understanding friends who kind of like Tolkien all thought they do not like Enya... no taste I tell you.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:06 PM   #14
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love 'May it Be', and Aniron too. Maybe we should be asking 'Is there anyone who DOESN'T like May it Be?'
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #15
LeGoLaSz gUrL
Animated Skeleton

LeGoLaSz gUrL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LeGoLaSz gUrL
Sting

The first time i listened to "May it Be," i fell in love with this song. It's so beautiful, and the lyrics are wonderful. Enya is such a talented singer, and choosing her was a brilliant idea. I love the song, and I probably will, for the rest of my life!!! The soundtrack for FOTR, was beautiful. I can listen to it for hours and hours, and hours. I love all the songs!!! LOTR RULEs!!!!!
LeGoLaSz gUrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:13 PM   #16
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
Sting

I didn't expect a reaction like that, but it is wonderful. I just got back from seeing it again! (5th time) We stayed after for the credits to sing with Enya. The people behind us were laughing, but we didn't care. heh.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:16 PM   #17
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Egh... I would never sing it in public.... my voice sounds feble compaired to my sisters 6 octave range... unfaire really she got the voice...
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:50 PM   #18
Tindómiel

Silmaril

OH! yay.... I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack. See, I play a string instrument and when I hear a good sound.. I love it and have to have it! I saw the movie and I fell in love with the music! Ahhh... Enya's on the radio... Wild Child! yayay!! I love the music too! She has such an amazing voice and I am mezmerized whenever I hear her sing!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #19
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting

I do agree, Tindómiel. I like Enya's voice on the soundtrack and in the movie. She makes it "come alive" almost. (Like it isn't already. YEAH RIGHT!) <P>Yes, Dannette, it's me. Andrew. Again. Did'ja get my PM's? If you didn't you better check!!!! NOW!!! Okey dokie.
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 04:13 AM   #20
Badger

Sting

When i played the LOTR soundtrack for the first time i fell in love, but then my sister came charging in saying it was *ahem* extremely annoying (whatever works for you..) My mum thought the same thing. I love Enya on the CD and the movie but i love her other, unrelated to LOTR, CD's.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:46 AM   #21
starbreeze

Silmaril

Yes, whoever said it was right, her voice does make it come alive, I sort of go into this hypnotic trance when I hear it and I get transported to ME. So cool...
Old 04-20-2002, 12:07 PM   #22
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Ooooh...Enya made Middle Earth real!<P>It was like her voice created an audio picture of ME, and I fell in love with ME as fell in love with the song...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I felt like kneeling down on one knee, lowering my head and accepting a blessing. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd do the same thing...<P>I sing 'May It Be' and 'Aniron' to myself like prayers.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:28 PM   #23
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I love 'May it Be', and I think it sounds very much like an Elven Blessing. <P>could you imagine the evles singing it for the fellowship as they left Lorien (or not...)?<p>[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Enedhil ]
Old 04-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #24
Mr. Frodo
Pile O'Bones

Mr. Frodo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Frodo
Silmaril

I love that song! It's just so sad and beautiful. I wish I could sing like that! I also love Aniron and In Dreams (I sang that one at auditions for the school musical) The soundtrack was perfect. I had something smart to say, but I can't remember what it was, so bye.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:37 PM   #25
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I loved "may it be" by enya. It was so smooth and soft. But my favorite song from the sound track is " the ring goes south" theres a part in that song thats just so powerful and feels so strong. who agrees?
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 03:55 AM   #26
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I simply loved May it be and Aníron, sad, very beautiful, and everytime I listen to it, I get transported to Middle Earth. I agree to that it sounds like an Elven Blessing. I have liked Enya for a long time and really think she was perfect, and she is no doubt an elf... <BR>Though, my fave from the soundtrack is "The breaking of the fellowship", absoluteley wonderful..<BR>I love the complete soundtrack and think every little song on it has it´s own things that makes it special, and totally Middle Earth. I almost break down and cry every time I listen to it, it´s so beautiful.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:04 AM   #27
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I absolutely love the whole soundtrack! I love "May it Be" and "Anarion" but my favourite is "Concerning Hobbits" I always cry during "The Breaking of the Fellowship". <BR> "May it be makes me think of Frodo, I feel like knelling and accepting a blessing as well. Yes, I can see the elves singind it as the fellowship leaves Lothlorien. <BR> We were waiting at a stoplight the other day next to a guy playing loud rock music, I was tempted to blast him with "The Bridge of Kahazad Dum" but I didn;t have the CD in the car. <P>Pardon me while o blow off some steam: My mom always accuses me of beeing too much into LOTR. She only read "The Hobbit in middle school I think. *sigh* If she only knew, no one under stands me We were on a road trip the other day and we were playing the soundtrack and when it was over all my mom could say (while I was daydreaming and trying to not let the musica affect me , I usually listen in private) was "man, that's a long CD". no one understands.<P>[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]<p>[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 05-02-2002, 10:11 AM   #28
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Check out <A HREF="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000629" TARGET=_blank>Fandom or something more sinister?</A>, show it to your mum, it might convince her that you're not the only one!
Old 05-02-2002, 10:26 AM   #29
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is freaky, Half-hobbit sounds just like me. I started readindg the first book a week before the movie came out. I did not know why I had not read them before. It was love at first sentence. I am now mocked for my devotion, I omly wish others saw eye to eye with me. Thank you Rose, and thank you Half-hobbit.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:13 AM   #30
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

the one song on the soundtrack which makes me cry for all 7minutes and 20 seconds of it is number 17. I can follow in my mind whats happening in the film(I have quite a photographic memory)and im actually listening to it at the moment, which is why i keep making mistakes in my typing...*sob* doo doo doooo diii do do dooooooo doooooo....
Old 05-03-2002, 07:12 PM   #31
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ya'll know why May it Be is so elfy: cause Enya's an elf! (I've said it before!) My personal fav. was Breaking of the Fellowship. I LOVE the lyrics, but when I sing along with mr. soprano boy, my voice cracks

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:30 PM   #32
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Sting

Enya has the most beautiful voice. My fav songs are Aniron, the Breaking of the Fellowship, and the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. I agree with Niere-Teleliniel, she must be an elf. I think she has the voice of Galadriel. Someone once said I sang like her and I started crying because that is one of the biggest compliments I think a singer could ever get. Nothing has ever moved me like the LoTR soundtrack has! I listen to it 24-7!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:03 AM   #33
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I first heard 'May It Be', it send tingles down my spine. It sounded so lovely and elvish. Enyas music is really soothing, and it seems to fit for LOTR. In my mind that is what elvish music sounds like...
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:50 PM   #34
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hmmm...Enya and Celtic homelands....Celtic homelands and druids...druids and elves...hmmm...hehe. Makes perfect sense to me, but then again it could just be my Celtic heritage trying to form a link to explain my madness, er, ecentric personality. She does have a most beautiful voice and the whole soundtrack is wonderful. Sometimes I can just feel times in my life, especially right now, that seem to be personified in the music to the point I want to cry. Truly an amazing creation.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:09 AM   #35
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
yup, 'may it be' is a really good song. but, dont know why everyone says it makes them cry, cause it makes me fall asleep! i absolutely LOVE the soundtrack. it's fun to play it really loud outside. all my neighbours yell at me and call me crazy. what fun! my fav from the soundtrack is 'journey in the dark'. dont know why no one else likes that song tho, . . .<BR>
Old 05-06-2002, 06:55 AM   #36
Frodosgirl
Pile O'Bones

Frodosgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Enyas "May it be" is a wonderful song. it brings tears to my eyes. Lothlorien is also very good i can feel the wood and elfs playing and wlking around all of the soundtrack is very powerful and blows you away.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:21 AM   #37
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

some of the words in May It Be are actually a slightly changed version of a gaelic blessing. We sang the actual blessing in church this week(yes im in the choir ok?yeh, the elfy one wearing a cassock...)and theres a beautiful solo in it just, which one of the trebles(boy sopranos)sang. Hes about 10 and his voice hasnt broken...im no big fan of the trebles but this guy could have competed with the guy in Number 17. *sigh* I got him to sing Number 17, and Im trying to get him to sing it for a music festival coming up...<P>I totally see your connection Kalla...well, sort of...
Old 05-08-2002, 04:03 PM   #38
lorien de loth
Pile O'Bones

lorien de loth has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

A long time ago, I used to play MERP and so many times we listened to Enya's songs while we were playing. So when I knew that Enya sang in the movie, I found it very touching. And very natural. It could be no one else but she. <P><I>Roads go ever on and on ...</I>
lorien de loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:22 PM   #39
elf_Legolas
Pile O'Bones

elf_Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

That song makes me picture the Fellowship coming out of the mines of Moria and all sad because Gandalf was "dead"
Old 05-13-2002, 06:29 PM   #40
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
i dont think the songs are sad (but then again i dont think much is sad) and at the part in the movie when Gandalf "dies", me and my friend usually start clapping, and we can usually get some more people clapping!