The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question What did you think of the battle scenes?

On The Two Towers what did you think of the battle scenes? Where they well done? Were there too many? Where they scary? Please tell me your thoughts on this matter. I personally thought they overdid it but they did look neat.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well I think that the fight scenes were really cool. Perhaps they did over do them and focus on them to much. But there really is no new story in TTT. Except for Saruman & Rohan. PJ could not add in story to it without getting murdered by a few of the downers here. So he did all he could. Basically if you think of it all the characters do is move closer to Mordor. Which does not equal 3 hours of marterial in movie form. So all PJ had on his plate was a little bit of moving forward, character development, and fight scenes. He did all of these very well.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:27 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The battle scenes were excellent. I even enjoyed the tacky Legolas-on-shield moment.<P>Some of the slow motion moments were spectacular. When Aragorn and the elves charge at the Uruk-Hai, for example.<P>And don't get me started on the "Forth Eorlingas"... it made me cry so much. I have tears in my eyes right now, just thinking about it. The music really enhanced it.<p>[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 06-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

I thought that they did a really good job with the battle scenes. Exept the part where Legolas jumped onto Gimli's horse. I thought that look too unrealistic. To me it looked like he was getting off the horse when they filmed it but they reversed it for the film.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
Sindalomewen36

Tolkien

I really enjoyed them. I thought that they made the movie a little more interesting.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought they were great. I will agree with Aragost on the Legolas jump. When I first saw the movie I didn't get a good look at it and I thought "Wow that was cool." Then the second time I watched it I was paying attention and I went "WHAAA!" Other than that they did a wonderful job.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can perfectly well understand if some people think there's too much fighting going on. BUT, there <I>is</I> a good deal of it in the books, too. And as has been said in this forum about a gazillion times, movies & books works differently - & battle scenes means action, so...<P>By & large, I think it's done superbly - of course there's a couple of places where one lifts the eyebrows a bit - like Legolas jump on the horse - but that's a minor thing in the overall picture, to me anyway.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

I enjoyed the battle scenes... I know a couple people who didn't like the fact that the orcs are so gross (?read the books????), but I was really disappointed that the Elves showed up and they killed Haldir. <P>I don't remember Legolas jumping onto Gimli's horse. (Kinda' hard to go see the movie a bunch of times when nobody wants to see it more than twice...) But I loved the battle of Helm's Deep.

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I also cried like a baby during the "Forth Eorlingas" part. I was so moved by Eomer yelling "To the King!" that I started crying like a baby on my friend's shoulder, then I started off almost all of the people in the theater crying.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Eye

I liked the battle of Helms Deep best. Though, I got kinda bored, but only because I wanted to see more of Gollum. The whole Legolas and Gimli rivalry made me burst out laughing.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #11
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

fighting is art! in lotr i love that the fighting scenes aren't just blood and ugly pictures...the scenes are stylish with great coreography. i really enjoyed them (at least most of the time).
Old 06-25-2003, 03:56 AM   #12
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Man it was great! i expected it to be a bit more bloody though.. i guess we will have to wait for the Plennor Fields for that one.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #13
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must say that they did a wonderful job on The Two Towers. I'm not a big fan of fight/battle scenes. Normally I hate them. But these were wonderful! They had alot of feeling and emotion. I didn't mind the Elves at Helm's Deep. That's one change I actually really liked. I just didn't like them killing off so many of them, and they seemed to fall so easily. What's up with that? <P>Oh well. I'm still waiting to be blown away by RotK. Not sure if I can handle it Too much awesomeness, so to speak

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #14
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I thought all the battle scenes from FOTR to TTT were just so awsome and cool! They did them quite well I think and they just blew my mind! Especially Helm's Deep that was the best one! It was...their no words for it except it was the best battle scene I've ever seen!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And don't get me started on the "Forth Eorlingas"... it made me cry so much. I have tears in my eyes right now, just thinking about it. The music really enhanced it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Same here Meela! The only problem I had was Helm's Deep was too overdone in the second one. I mean, it's not THAT big of a fight, Pelennor Fields is waayyyyy more important, in my opinion. Helm's Deep took up too much time, time that could have been spent on other characters *coughmerryandpippincough* . But I love Amon Hen and how PJ did the battle between Lurtz and Aragorn. I liked how he added Lurtz as a character, even if he shouldn't be there, because then it makes it seem like it wasn't just some random Orc that came up and shot Boromir full of arrows.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #16
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

yep, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Forth Eorlingas"...I have tears in my eyes right now, just thinking... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>the best scene in the movie!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Helm's Deep took up too much time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>well, considering that they had 10 000 orcs to slaughter...they did it quite fast
Old 06-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Helm's Deep was a bit drawn out, but it was awesome none the less! It was excellently done. The only misgivings I had about the fight seen is the constantly moving around camera. I know they did this to avoid an R rating, but it's almost enough to make you dizzy! I'd just like to see more of it more clearly. I have a friend who says that the moving camera & the constant darkness combine to make it a slightly less good fight scene/movie. Oh well.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #18
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved all of the action in TTT! It had much more than FOTR. Helm's Deep was the visual effects phemomenon of the centuary!!! It was a mazing!!! If this is Helm's Deep, imagine what the Pelennor Fields will look like?!?!?! I can't wait!!! <BR>It's not that I'm a gory person, but the battles always pump me with adreniline and make me feel as if I was there, if the scene and effects are good. <BR> 149 DAYS TILL ROTK TO DATE!!! YAY!!! <p>[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm not a TOTAL action junkee (not quite), though. I like Fotr better because it was done better, not TTT because it had more battle scenes. But anyhoo, TTT's battles were very cool.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #20
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exept the part where Legolas jumped onto Gimli's horse. I thought that look too unrealistic. To me it looked like he was getting off the horse when they filmed it but they reversed it for the film.<P>I agree on that, but I still wonder how they pulled it off. I loved Helm's Deep, and can't wait to see the Pelennor Fields. I loved all the battles/fighting so far, and I have hopes for the best from ROTK.

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote