The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Farmer Maggot

I was just watching the Fellowship of the Rings last night and I just realized something. Towards the beginning of the movie when that RingWraith approaches that hobbit and says "Shire; Baggins." Is that Farmer Maggot? Because in the book Maggot says when he talked to the Wraith one of his dogs ran back in the house, and this hobbit had a dog that barked, then went back into the house with its tail between its legs. Anybody know?
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I always assumed it was, and I think I saw somewhere that actors face on a cast list and he was listed as farmer Maggot, so yeah I'm pretty sure thats him.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yup, that's him! I thought that was a nice nod to the text, having the dog run away with it's tail between his legs. And it's good to see more of Maggot than just his scythe and a shouty voice!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That scene always makes me smile because in the "Shortcut to Mushrooms" chapter in the book, Farmer Maggot tells Frodo and company of how he met a Black Rider but then told him off. Now everytime I see that scene in the movie with him stumbling backwards while nervously pointing I think, "ah, the truth comes out." <P>H.C.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:54 AM   #5
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Is that Farmer Maggot? That's really not how I imagined him. I thought he would be older, probably fatter and more red faced. Perhaps a little like Butterbur. Also, has anyone noticed that the dog is to a Hobbit scale? I suppose this is a question for the books really, but would animals have evolved to Hobbit scale?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:12 AM   #6
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't see why animals should have evolved to the Hobbits scale. Hobbits using smaller ponies maybe but the dogs are surely the actual size.<BR>However I have always wondered how Farmer Magoot could hold back with such efficiency large wolf sized hounds?<P>I might be wrong about the size of the animals but never read anything about the sizes following the small stature of the Hobbits.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:40 AM   #7
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If the dogs were well trained enough they could be controlled. I'm sure that there are some breeds out there big enough to be ridden by a Hobbit. But perhaps Hobbits bred their dogs to be smaller and more manageable. If humans can selectively breed dogs, why not Hobbits?<P>I was never completely satisfied with Farmer Maggot's accent though, even if he only says one line in a terrified manner.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:28 PM   #8
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

That's interesting, HC Island; I was rather indignant about the movie's treatment of him, since I'd admired his bravery in the book, as that of the sensible and sturdy hobbitry unimpressed by the workings of darkness, and once again tougher than they look. I'd really rather have had him left out. However, the change seems consistent with Jackson's overall treatment of hobbits. <P>Say what you want; <I>I</I> believe him. <P>--Belin Ibaimendi<P>who rather preferred Maggot's treatment in <A HREF="http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/comic/bwcomic08.jpg" TARGET=_blank>this</A> representation.....
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:29 PM   #9
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always pictured Farmer Maggot as older, with ruddy cheeks, thick curly graying hair and somewhat of a gut. His portrayal in the movie was that of a younger, straight-haired and intellectual-eyed hobbit. I choose to picture him still the old way when I read the books.<P>A cameo character in the movie who I disliked greatly was Barliman Butterbur, and I would have <I>much</I> rather they left him out entirely (I am also firmly of the belief that it was better to leave out Tom Bombadil so us Tolkienites can still picture him the way we want ). I personally do not want to picture Butterbur as a gruff, burly gentleman with a Midwestern American accent. I pictured him as stout and fat, with a cheery and rather stupid British accent, with spectacles, thinning gray hair and rather large jowels.<P>Personally, I think it would be better if Barliman Butterbur and Farmer Maggot were never shown in any form in the movies, and I am extremely thankful that they did not add in Bombadil, one of my favorite characters on paper.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A cameo character in the movie who I disliked greatly was Barliman Butterbur <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But he had to better than this ridiculous fellow:<P> <P>(Butterbur from the Bakshi animated film.)<P>
Old 09-02-2003, 06:57 PM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Say what you want; I believe him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I understand what you are saying, and frankly I agree. Certainly I don't believe Tolkien ever intended us to doubt the old farmer. I just prefer to take the more amusing take on things sometimes.<P>H.C.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:44 AM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>with him stumbling backwards while nervously pointing I think, "ah, the truth comes out."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Heh. I thought it was funny.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A cameo character in the movie who I disliked greatly was Barliman Butterbur <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Actually I liked his portrayl.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #13
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now everytime I see that scene in the movie with him stumbling backwards while nervously pointing I think, "ah, the truth comes out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I noticed that as well. A nice interpretation. <P>And I also did see that the dog was scaled to suit the hobbit. I think it worked rather well. Otherwise the beast may well have dwarfed the poor guy.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I don't think it's Farmer Maggot. Early on before the movies came out, I was reading actor bios on TorN, and there was a hobbit by the name of "Bounder", who lived on the edge of the Shire, and I believe this is the hobbit.<BR>Maggot had three hounds, anyway.<P>(After looking on TorN)<P>Agh, nope! He IS Farmer Maggot. I never knew that. And here I was angry at PJ for not showing him.<P>Bounder (as it turns out) is the Hobbit who got decapitated by Nazgul in FotR. <P>But the mystery is...why was there only one dog? Would three have been too much to handle?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:01 PM   #15
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Isn't a Bounder a Hobbit who guards the borders of the Shire? Keeping away foxes and such? (and big scary men dressed in black if need be)
Old 09-05-2003, 03:34 PM   #16
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I assume this is describing the movie Butterbur?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I personally do not want to picture Butterbur as a gruff, burly gentleman with a Midwestern American accent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It was a westcountry accent- Devon, Cornwall, Somerset. Something like that. Like Merry, and Sam (most of the time).
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:50 PM   #17
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sam (most of the time). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, it seemed that he and Pippin switched accents during one point in FotR, when he says "Get down!" For the longest time I thought that was Pippin.<P>And I am actually quite glad that PJ showed Farmer Maggot, although I wish, like others, that the portrayal was loyal to the book. I would have liked to see a little hobbit telling off a big ol' Nazgul!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:01 PM   #18
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> when he says "Get down!" For the longest time I thought that was Pippin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It isn't? I'm going to watch that again!<P>I think PJ had Farmer Maggot cowering because he wanted the Nazgul to instill fear wherever they go, so much that nothing will stand up to them when faced with them (except for the guy who got his head cut off, but he got his head cut off). Like the insects running away from the Black rider. They are quite plainly far less subtle than they are in the book, so why not take that all the way and make them scare everyone?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:10 PM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Even though it is Maggot, it seems strange to me. He doesn't sound a bit like he did when he was yelling at the hobbits in corn fields. The yell was kind've 'deep-throated' or whatever you want to call it; but then when he talks to the Blackrider, his voice is lighter. Oh well, what I just said makes sense to me, even if it doesn't to you .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:17 PM   #20
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

I get it. <BR>Although I actually hadn't really given it much thought.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:35 PM   #21
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

Maybe the higher voice is his scared/talking voice, and the deeper is his angry/shouting-at-hobbits-in-the-field voice? <P>There's a very good chance they were different actors, but I'm going to ignore that. ;P
Old 09-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #22
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Bounder or whoever was the guy with the lamp who asks the Nazgul, "Who goes there?" right before he meets his untimely demise.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote