The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Awesome LotR soundtrack

Just a thread I decided to start in order to glorify the LotR soundtrack, since it really means a lot to me.
Not only because hearing it reminds me of the movies and of certain scenes and characters, but also because it really helps a lot. Some hear blue whale sounds, some hear spiritual music in order to calm down and try forget about their problems in day to day life, well I use the soundtrack.
Especially "Flight to the Ford" has a special effect. No matter how angry, sad or stressed I am the song always manages to get me in a good mood.

I hope some other Downers will share their opinions and experiences regarding the soundtrack here. Looking forward to reading your stuff.

~ TM
Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Lalwende started a thread here...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15044

where we were discussing various songs to add to the soundtrack (punctuating specific scenes). But are you referring more to the actual sounds in the soundtrack or different music to add?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Classical Music has got to be the most relaxing music ever created by man. I love Strauss, Beethoven, and Brahms, but you're right Might (hey, that rhymes ), I'd give up any of those artists for Howard Shore's score (I can't believe how much I'm rhyming today). Just as Strauss' waltz will take my mind to another place and time so does the Howard Shore.

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum has got to be my favorite soundtrack from the movies. It has enough exciting notes in it to keep your attention through most of the song, with some of the best written music from the movies in it.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Although The Might undoubtedly refers to the Shore scores when he refers to "the" LotR soundtrack, I can't resist calling people's further attention to the unjustly forgotten score by Leonard Rosenman for Bakshi' LotR. It's certainly very different from Shore's work and I suppose some will object to it as a bit old-fashioned, but personally I consider it an "awesome LotR soundtrack" as well.

Don't get me wrong, though - I do love Shore's LotR. While I wouldn't go as far as giving up Beethoven for them, I must say that the track "The White Tree" from RotK ranks right up there with some of the masterpieces of the past few centuries for me.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, I was indeed talking about Shore's soundtrack.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
I have started some threads like this in the past - I love the music of the trilogy so much. I listen to the score on a regular basis. I, too, connect with these songs not only because they remind me of the movie and the characters, but I feel a deep spiritual connection with these songs, and many of them have the overwhelming power to cheer me up in the worst of moods. I also feel that these scores echo to the heart of the book - the real deal. Real stuff.

Being a lover of music years before the score, I'm sure enhanced my appreciation of the music. I would like to add my own praise to classical music - the feelings I have felt while listening to certain pieces by various masters (and I include the trilogy soundtrack in there) are so deep and powerful, that I probably haven't felt them with any other music, save The Beatles. Hits a heartchord. Music, music, music...I love you!!!