The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril If something happened to Frodo

I was thinking lately. Who do you think could have thrown the ring into Mt. Doom if Frodo hadn't gone on the Quest, or if something had happened to Him.

In my opinion the most appropriate person to throw in the ring would be Aragorn. He is almost trying to prove to himself that He is not like Isildor. Isildor couldn't throw the ring into Mt. Doom right after Sauron was destroyed, even though he had every opportunity. Because of this the ring survived, and the whole quest was set into motion. Aragorn could prove to himself and to all the races who don't think that men are stong enough *coughelvescough* that men could assist in destroying eveil forever.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
I think Aragorn may have given in to the rings power eventually and used it, but, he would try his best as he didnt want to be like Isildur was and i suppose this may give him a chance to destroy the ring.

I think that Faramir may have been able to take the ring as he showed no interest in it in the book and could have destroyed it. Also, either Merry, Pippen or Sam may have done it as i dont think they really care much for power.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Hm, I think Sam could have done it. But, Pippin I think wouldn't dare come near the Ring after the ordeal with the Palantír, Merry wouldn't either because he knows what happened to Pip.

Faramir would probably be able to fight the temptation of the Ring for a while, but I think he would succomb to its will eventually, as would Aragorn.

Perhaps Elrond could have done away with it also. He seemed determined enough to have it destroyed...just maybe.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, there's the Could've or Would've question. I'm sure there are a great many individuals who could do it, but not all would. Elrond, Legolas, Arwen, almost any of the elves could probably overcome the One Ring's evils and throw it in, but that was the responsibility of others. Gimli might have been able to do it, but I'm not sure.

Most humans would've fallen to the Ring's power. Even Gandalf was tempted, and might have been able to complete the Ring quest were he the bearer of that burden. In the book, Faramir had no desire for the Ring. I believe he said something like, "I would not pick this up if it lay by the roadside" (don't have my copy handy). He could do it, in my opinion. Sam could do it , considering his extreme loyalty to the side of light and Frodo. Pippin and Merry probably have the hobbit-ish resilience to do so.

Aragorn, despite righteousness, would have a harder time destroying the Ring (remember that whole Isildur thing?). Denethor, certainly not. Boromir and most other humans couldn't have accomplished it. Actually, the Rohirrim heroes, Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer, etc, are never really exposed to the Ring, so their reactions are anybody's guess.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
If you are asking who could have destroyed the Ring, the answer is no one with the possible exception of Tom Bombadil. That has been said on several other threads. Everyone would have succumbed to the Ring's power at Mt. Doom. If you are asking who else could have bourn the Ring and brought it as far as Frodo did, then there are a few people that I can think of that might have. Sam, I think, could have made it to Mt. Doom, and possibly Aragorn. Gandalf wouldn't take it - he said so himself in Bag End. On the whole, I would say Frodo is just the best option.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would heartily say Sam and stick with that answer. I'm a pretty big fan of his stalwart faithfulness, and I'm sure that he would have done the job had Frodo not been able to continue.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Tom Bombadil

Tom isn't really an option. It's stated that he was so apathetic and forgetful that he would undoubtedly lose the Ring and his focus to destroy it very easily.

Quote:
'He would not have come,' said Gandalf.
'Could we not still send messages to him and obtain his help?' asked Erestor. 'It seems that he has a power even over the Ring.'
'No, I should not put it so,' said Gandalf. 'Say rather that the Ring has no power over him. He is his own master. But he cannot alter the Ring itself, nor break its power over others. And now he is withdrawn into a little land, within bounds that he has set, though none can see them, waiting perhaps for a change of days, and he will not step beyond them.'
'But within those bounds nothing seems to dismay him,' said Erestor. 'Would he not take the Ring and keep it there, for ever harmless?'
'No,' said Gandalf, 'not willingly. He might do so, if all the free folk of the world begged him, but he would not understand the need. And if he were given the Ring, he would soon forget it, or most likely throw it away. Such things have no hold on his mind. He would be a most unsafe guardian; and that alone is answer enough.'
Old 02-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Well, I do think sam may have been the one to do it, depending on the situation. I would not have trusted Aragorn with this thing because he didn't even trust himself. That is kinda creepy when you can't trust yourself. I think Aragorn knew what would happen to him if he had.

YOu know that Gandalf and Galadirel were both hesitant to take the ring.

Tom Bombadil, as Legolas, has already stated would have lost it. He would not have realy cared. Tom would have seen no need to do anything with said ring because it had no power over him. But Tom is another disscussion.

So, in the event that Frodo be killed it would have been Sam. I mean he did it any way and gave it back right. It has been a few years since I read the ROTK, so my memory is a but hazey. But still the argument is relavant.( my spell checking program is not working please forgive me)
Old 02-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
If something happened to Frodo...good question. I think that Sam would definitely be the other alternative. He wasn't too educated in important issues, but he was a good-hearted Hobbit with the right intentions. There is the issue of the distrust between himself and Gollum, so he might not have gotten very far regarding that. But otherwise, I think that Sam would be the best Ringbearer.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:18 AM   #10
PoisonIvy
Pile O'Bones

PoisonIvy has just left Hobbiton.
After years of fleeing from his past, Aragorn would perhaps not only ready to face it now but also be willing to prove to himself and to all races that the race of men are mighty trustworthy, too. He may have difficult moments with the ring along the way but in the end, I feel, he would relligiously do the duty required of him and cast it into the fires of Mt. Doom cleaning once again the once tainted reputation of humans (thanks to Isildur).

Second option would be Sam. Good ol' reliable and loyal Samwise Gamgee. I don't think there should be any explanation for this. "I don't want to use it."

Then maybe Elrond, to finally let his troubled heart rest in peace.

Last edited by PoisonIvy; 02-11-2004 at 03:34 AM.
PoisonIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:15 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Maybe I wasn't very clear in my last post. I didn't mean that Tom Bombadil should take the Ring, in fact I agree that he wouldn't have been very good for the job at all. What I was trying to say was that no one could have thrown the Ring into Mt. Doom. I would still say that Sam would be the best choice to take the Ring. If you think about it, after the breaking of the Fellowship he was really the only option.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #12
Legolas G.

Ring Re: If something happened to Frodo

QUOTE]Originally posted by Ashton
I was thinking lately. Who do you think could have thrown the ring into Mt. Doom if Frodo hadn't gone on the Quest, or if something had happened to Him.

In my opinion the most appropriate person to throw in the ring would be Aragorn. He is almost trying to prove to himself that He is not like Isildor. Isildor couldn't throw the ring into Mt. Doom right after Sauron was destroyed, even though he had every opportunity. Because of this the ring survived, and the whole quest was set into motion. Aragorn could prove to himself and to all the races who don't think that men are stong enough *coughelvescough* that men could assist in destroying eveil forever.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. But having the quest entrusted to Frodo, a Hobbit of the Shire just makes it more interesting. Besides, Aragorn proves himself when he goes through the Paths of the Dead.
[QUOTE]
Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #13
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Do you think that the Ring would have been destroyed if Frodo had been hurt or killed during the quest? I mean, I don't think that Sam wouldn't continue without Frodo. So Sam wouldn't have been there. Who could do it if Sam wasn't an option? Could an Elf do it?

Cool Smiley By the way
Old 02-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #14
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Ringbearers through the ages...

I must say, before I begin, that the Search function on this new board is way cool and SO much faster than before! I've found all these threads pertaining to this general subject:

Which of the Fellowship would have gone Ring mad?
Who would be a good second choice to bear the Ring to Mordor?
Should Frodo have been the one to carry the Ring?
Logical Ring Bearer?
If Frodo did not, then who would?
If the Ringbearer died...
An Alternative Ringbearer?
What if someone ELSE was the Ringbearer?
Why Frodo?
Who in the Fellowship would have tried to take the Ring next?
A dwarf as Ringbearer?
What if Sam had kept the Ring?
Gimli Ringbearer?
What would you have done?
Favorite Ring Bearer
That's about all I can find right now. Have fun!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #15
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
I think that the only group of people (couldn't find a better word) that could've gone on the quest and then destroy the ring with their own will would be one of the Valar.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 PM   #16
Legolas G.

Re:

Sam did go on with out Frodo. When Frodo was stung by Shelob, Sam took the Ring and was going to continue on because he thought that Frodo was dead. But then he found out that Frodo was still alive.
But other then Sam, I think Aragorn could have been the Ringbearer. He seems strong. I don't think the Ring would have taken hold of him easily. Maybe not at all.
On second thought, Aragorn is the heir of Isildor. And Isildor couldn't destroy the Ring because it took him easily. So Aragorn has that weakness. And the Nazgul were men. They were also easily taken by the Ring. So the hearts of men are easily corupted.
Now I'm not sure.
But what about Elves? Elves aren't easily taken by the Ring. So maybe Legolas could have been the Ringbearer.
Yes, an Elf could definitely be the Ringbearer.
Are there anymore that might have been a good Ringbearer?
Dwarves would probably be easily taken like men. All they care about is riches, and they might try to keep the Ring and use it.
I'll keep thinking about this. For now I think an Elf would have been the best Ringbearer.
[QUOTE]

Last edited by Legolas G.; 02-17-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring Listen to Firefoot

Folks, take a look at Firefoot's posts.

Tolkien makes it absolutely clear in his Letters that no one in Middle-earth could voluntarily have destroyed the Ring at Sammath Naur. Not Gandalf. Not Aragorn. Not Legolas. Not even Elrond. Galadriel's temptation shows that Elves were not immune to its corrupting influence. The only possible exception, as Firefoot said, was Tom Bombadil as the Ring had no effect on him. But, as Legoals said, he would never have taken it to Mount Doom and, even if he had, it may well have been able to master even him outside his own realm.

Any other analysis would speak terribly ill of Frodo. If someone else had been able to achieve what he could not, then his character would be incredibly diminished. Frodo feels guilt at not being able voluntarily to destroy the Ring, but he has no right to, since no one else could have done it. His heroism derives from the fact that he was able to battle through terrible hardship to bring the thing to the one place where it could be destoyed, and from the pity he showed to Smeagol, which allowed providence (Eru) to intervene at the vital moment.

I doubt that there are many others that would have been able to resist the Ring for long enough to get it to Sammath Naur. But, had Frodo been killed, then my choice for substitute Ringbearer would be another Hobbit, given their peculiar resilience to the Ring's influence. Not Sam, for his strength was in support, and I doubt that he would have shown the pity to Smeagol that Frodo did. So Merry or Pippin would be my choice. Quite possibly Pippin, because he seems the more spiritual of the two, although perhaps Merry is mentally the tougher. In any event, the ideal situation (absent Frodo) would, in my view, have been one of them with the other in support.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #18
Legolas G.

Re: Listen to Firefoot

I hadn't thought of that.
I thought an Elf would have been the best Ringbearer (see my last post). But I had forgotten about Galadriel.
A Hobbit is the best Ringbearer. But I wouldn't trust Pippin with the Ring. Maybe Merry because, as you said, he seems stronger.
I still think Sam would have been a good Ringbearer, too.
But, really, I don't think anyone in Middle Earth could have actually destroyed the Ring. It was just a good thing Gollum went wild and fell. Except for Tom Bombadil. He probably would have gladly destroyed it.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #19
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

In my oppion, only, and I do mean ONLY, a hobbit could have destroyed the Ring or even have made it to Mt. Doom. And the only hobbits I think could have would be Frodo or Sam. Frodo (not the weakling version in the movie. That's my main pet peeve about the movies) is a hero and is just stubborn enough, and has just the right friends, that he made it. (With a little help from Gollum) Sam carried the Ring for a little while, and he overcame the power. None of the other fellowship could have done it . But that's just my opinon.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Pipe Who

If Frodo couldn't do it. Maybe, someone like Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Galadriel one of the elves that have a strong will and you already have seen galadriel regect the ring.

Faramir, maybe he flat out rejected it you have to remember though he's a man it might eat away at him. The thing is Faramir was wise in Lore thats why he rejected the ring he knew what it could do, so therefor I don't think he could because he said "he wouldn't touch it." Basically, afraid of it.

Gimli, another maybe the ring to the dwarves was nothing but another piece of gold. They are great miners and craftsmen and already have mounds of riches. Their city Erebor is probably the strongest city in all ME not even Sauron's forces could break in. To Gimli it was just a piece of gold to throw on the pile, so maybe him too.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote