The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Where is your Middle Earth?

This is my first attempt at starting a topic and only my hundreth posting so sorry if I make mistakes.
I got to thinking about where in the world that you think matches places in Middle Earth, not influenced by Peter Jackson but personal feelings.
Two of my own examples would be Cragside House in Northumberland (England) as Rivendell. It's a mock-gothic affair at the top of a wooded valley with a proper bubbling stream at the bottom. If you continue past the house and up into the woods you eventually come out onto the rather bleak Cheviot hills (moors really). All the land and stuff are open to the public. The other place is some caverns I visited in Croatia when I was eleven. They were near Lubijana and were a perfect Moria.
Any other locations you've been in and suddenly thought, wow this is Middle Earth?
Old 05-01-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy Centenary posting! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I think that my own home is a lot like a cross between the Shire and Bree.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Hmmmm.... well, I am familiar with the landscape of the US, so here are my thoughts using them:
~Rocky Mountains = Misty Mountains
~I think that Kentucky of Virginia may have good places for the Shire (or the U.P of Michigan).

Wow, this is harder than I thought!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

When my class went to england I saw pretty much landscapes that I could assosiate with the Shire.. usually, I can see the sea very near to where I am living, so I think that is my assosiation with the Grey Havens, mostly..
Old 05-01-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Um, no idea really. I've been to lots of gorgeous places but nothing that really shrieked "Middle Earth" to me. Though if you don't mind the cold, Siberia in the middle of February did strike me as being rather close to the bleak, cheerless Emyn Muil, albeit slightly flatter.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:58 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

the forests of oregon are like mirkwood. deep and green and mysterious.

and then, of course, there is always the sea!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:54 AM   #7
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say that the barren(spl?) back lands of Iceland would be perfect for the wasteland of mordor. In some places all that grows is mold on the rocks. Theres no dirt in some places just rock. The marshes would be in Lousianna in the bious(spl?). okay thats all [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 05:33 AM   #8
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I grew up in the cotswolds, in the West Midlands of England, and i see the shire in the farmland and fields of gloucestershire, fangorn forest in the woodlands and the general landscape of middle earth in the beautiful rolling hills. Quite poetic really. Theres even a village called Bamfurlong near where i lived - a familiar name!

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:01 PM   #9
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am very fond of all the big forests in Sweden (I live there). Some look like Mirkwood, some like Lothlórien.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Then some places in the north of Sweden..could be a bit of Emyn Muil, and the Dead Marshes. It looks really cool! And then the rivers up there, ah..
Then I thought some places in southern England looked a bit Shire-like.
Tenerife..reminded me of Middle Earth, but I can´t point out what it reminded me of..
And then we have the sea... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:40 PM   #10
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Wow, this thread highlights the corners of the world that use this site and how well travelled everyone is. I now have a wanderlust to visit Sweden and Iceland. I have seen the Rocky Mountains in the mist and agree. They were very atmospheric and majestic. Hmmm, the Cotswolds for the Shire sounds good, they're not too far from me.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #11
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I feel surrounded by middle earth just where I live! Just a few minutes drive from the city and your surrounded by rolling hills, fields, mountains, rivers...its just beautiful. And that's just Perthshire in Scotland. The rest of the country, especially up north is just as lovely. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I walked into the small 'woods' across the street from my Pennsylvania house and was suprised to find myself suddenly in ME. We just got a ton of rain, so the woods was very green, and there were small white flowers everywhere. It was esp. cool cause my friend and I were going back there to take pictures and we were both in elf costumes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (I have no idea how Galadriel kept her feet from getting all muddy and gross :P)

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 07:06 PM   #13
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a field that is about 5 miles from my home witch to me is the perfect shire countryside. I once took the lotr soundtrack and just repeated track #2 concerning hobbits
Old 05-05-2002, 01:15 PM   #14
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Hmmm. Woods after the rain. Takes me back to my old job. As for Galadriel and the muddy feet, I suppose she just kind of floated, like Legolas on the snow, never sinking in. Useful trick if you can replicate it.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:56 PM   #15
TheWindsorStar
Pile O'Bones

TheWindsorStar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How I wish I could see anything resembling ME around here! Hmmm, maybe I actually live in Bree... My city IS a border town, and, uhhh, there lots of bars... Ok, ok, there's nothing around here that really screams 'Middle-earth!" at me.