The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #1881
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

You know you're obsessed with LOTR when...

You start titling all your school essays or reports in a Silmarillion faction. Like so;

"Of Shakespeare and Richard II"
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #1882
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
The Eye

You know you're obsessed with LOTR when...

...You start chanting 'Grond!' in your sleep
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #1883
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
...you're disruptive on trains. I got one of those 'Balrog Battle Gandalf' action figures the other day and it has a sound function, a very LOUD sound function. So I'm sitting in the quiet coach at Doncaster station and what do I do but set the thing off?

"You shall not pass!" , complete with echo, bellows down the carriage and a few minutes later the guard comes along reminding everyone to be quiet.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #1884
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*When asked what you're going to do when you grow up, you say confidently, "Destroy the wicked Ring of Power and save Middle-Earth!"

*You tell your mother you're going to marry Gil-Galad after college

*You yell "Fool of a Took" at your stupid friend when his last name is really Johnson
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #1885
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Bombadil
*You tell your mother you're going to marry Gil-Galad after college
oh joy another one... but i'll look forward too that
Old 09-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #1886
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Pipe

Alas. No one wants to marry an ent. If only I hadn't forgotten where I hid the entwives after our last org-....organized meeting. Oh well. I guess mixed breeding was inevitable. Come here, Arwen!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #1887
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
don't feel bad, Gothmog is having a love affair wit han entwife in another thread, maybe you should pop bye and be jealous?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #1888
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Linguistically dorky

...when you're so used to pronouncing the "au" dipthong as ow, like in Sauron, that you suddenly have problems pronouncing Chaucer correctly, with the "au" as aw. I've been trying so hard to get it right, and it keeps inadvertently coming out as Chowcer...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #1889
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

Location: In crazy captions waving an angry fist at the outside world
Gandalf_the _white has just left Hobbiton.
You know you're obsessed when u dress up as Gandalf and stand in the way of the door shouting "You cannot pass!!" to your brothers when they walk by!
Sad but true.
Gandalf_the _white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #1890
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_the _white
You know you're obsessed when u dress up as Gandalf and stand in the way of the door shouting "You cannot pass!!" to your brothers when they walk by!
Sad but true.
Well I do have this on my door.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #1891
Gandalf_the _white
Wight

Location: In crazy captions waving an angry fist at the outside world
Gandalf_the _white has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Cool I want one!!!
Gandalf_the _white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #1892
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Well I do have this on my door.
When I am Prime Minister (and that will be a very long wait so don't hold your breath) all lorry drivers will be forced to have that sign on the back of their wagons. This scheme will later be extended to tractor drivers on narrow country lanes.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #1893
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
You know you're obsessed when...

You are very amused by the fact that 'we will know' in French is 'nous saurons' and have a hard time pronouncing it correctly, because it's supposed to be said exactly how Sauron isn't -- 'Sore-onh.'
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #1894
SunniGadi
Animated Skeleton

SunniGadi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to SunniGadi Send a message via MSN to SunniGadi
When you read it alound with a british accent, and your mom walks in.

Not quite as embarrassing as being caught with a Harry Potter scar on your forehead, I guess.

Or when you're elated everytime you hear some sort of referesnce, no matter if someone just said ring. And you immediately say what is on the ring...in elvish.

Stuff should go here. It might eventually.
SunniGadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #1895
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When you've taught your 2 year old daughter to quote Gollum from the movie when he says "My Precious...AHHHHHH" It's actually quite cute but a little disturbing but my wife laughs about so it's acceptable
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #1896
SunniGadi
Animated Skeleton

SunniGadi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to SunniGadi Send a message via MSN to SunniGadi
That is sooo awesome. You should have named him/her Gandalf.

Stuff should go here. It might eventually.
SunniGadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #1897
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Narya

Ok, In my Intro to Performance Class, we had to do an imagination exercise. With our eyes closed, we had to imagine the prompts that our professor gave us. The very first prompt was that we were in a woods. Immediately, I transported myself to Lothlorien. We had to cross a river, and what river was it? The Silverlode. Then I traveled through the woods, and heard something behind me. When I turned around, there was no one to be seen. It was the Galadrim, tracking me because I had entered their forets. Then we were in a meadow and we had to decide what kind of flowers were in the meadow . . . Elanors, of course. Then there was a dwelling, Caras Galadon. And here is where it really gets obsessive:

I enter the dwelling, and there is no one there. I start crying in the middle of class because of the immense sadness that I feel for the loss of the Lady in the world. She had sailed away into the West. And there in the corner of the room was a glass case containing the three rings of power, which just deepened my sadness, despair, and feeling of intense longing.

And then there was the prompt that we had to leave, and I was resisting as hard as I could, but an unknown force was pulling me away. After I left, I was walking down the path in my imagination, crying my eyes out, when there in the middle of the path was Galadriel's ring. It was a gift from her to me to symbolize the fact that there was still some trace of the magic and spirit of the elves left in the world, in order to comfort me in my sorrow. I then left the forest, and just sat on a hillside, looking back in meditation, holding the ring.

And then the exercise was over. My face was wet with tears, and I was left in a melancholy mood for the rest of the day . . . or at least until 9:00 at night when LOST was on and I could see Dom.

Wow!!! That was a long post. I'm tired and sad now. I think I'll go to bed.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #1898
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
You know you're obsessed with LotR when...

You have lots of very hard and important work to do and text books to read but spend all day and night posting on The 'Downs anyway.

You meet your new housemates and after 2 mins of them helping you unpack (the first box has only just been opened) they ask "So... you like Tolkien then?".

You take your Legolas cardboard cut-out to Uni with you.

You write elvish on your face instead of tears or scars like everyone else when going out with GRIMsoc..

You move your Mallorn leaf brooch everytime you change coats or jackets so it stays with you.

You're 18 an you still have a quilt cover with elvish writing and LotR written all over it (well ok thats only because you couldn't take you doubble bed to uni with you).

You make and buy as many elvish looking clothes and robes as possible.

The background on your mobile phone and the ringtone is LotR related as are the screensaver and background on you pc.

People refer to you as 'the short girl with the LotR obsession'

When you have a copy of the theatrical cuts and the EE's (which you brought on the day each came out as soon as the shops opened) and even of that awful cartoon...

When you've read the books so much people open them and read a paragraph, just to ask you which chapter it's from for a laugh because they know you know.

When everything is somehow related to Tolkien.

When you own mugs and glasses, soundtracks, jewellery and LotR Trivial Pursuit and LotR Risk and LotR Monopoly and LotR playing cards and LotR jigsaw puzzles and LotR roleplaying adventure games...

Even the members of the Sci-Fi and Fantasy society think you're a little too obsessed...

When you stare into space and the person you're with asks you "were you were just now?" you reply " The Kingdom of Arda"

You manage to fit 20 books into the boxes of stuff that you take to uni with you and all of them are Tolkien related.

You take a look down you favorites and you don't just have a folder saying "Tolkien stuff" but lots of different folders i.e. "Learning Quenya", "Tolkien Encylopedia's", "Shops", "Clothes", etc...

Whenever someone asks you "Left or right" you simply reply with "Mordor's Left".

But mostly when you're out in a pub or club with nothing visible to others that screams "I love LotR" and yet still people know after five mins of talking to you.
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #1899
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
You have lots of very hard and important work to do and text books to read but spend all day and night posting on The 'Downs anyway.

Ill second that
Old 10-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #1900
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
When you spend all day watching the Extended Editions back to back with your LotR-obsessed brother and friend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of RotK. It was great fuin, even though we didn't quite get to finish. (We had to stop on The Black Gate Opens because my friend had to go home.)
Old 10-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #1901
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien Ill second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orominuialwen
When you spend all day watching the Extended Editions back to back with your LotR-obsessed brother and friend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of RotK. It was great fuin, even though we didn't quite get to finish. (We had to stop on The Black Gate Opens because my friend had to go home.)
I did the eksact same thing with my friends! It was nice, but I am suspecting my friends mains reasos for watching them to be; make me stop talking about watching them back to back. (I think I startet talking about it after watching FOTR)

I usually gets frustratet, when only watching one!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #1902
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Leaf You know you're obsessed with LotR when...

You call your best friend's mum Mabel in honour of Tolkien's mother
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 AM   #1903
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Thumbs up from the Dead Hand

You Know your obsessed with The Lord of the Rings when you hear people order a drink that sounds suspiciously like "Miruvor" and so exclaim at the top of your voice, "WOW! Elf drinks!"

Yes, it happened to me. I am ashamed to say.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #1904
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Argh all the time spent watching all three in a row. But I tend to do it at night from seven to seven. And all my friends fall asleep during the Two Towers and I am left up all alone trying to finish.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 AM   #1905
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

At the last Summer Holidays I found a day all to myself where I got a projector screen and computer projector and watched all 3 EEs! Ah! Bliss! With short intervals it took nearly 12 hours.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #1906
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Last night, my quiz team was faced with the following question:
Which is the odd one out, Arwen, Legolas, Saruman, Elrond.

One team member was baffled, thinking they were a list of anagrams.
Another argued that it was Elrond as there was no such character.
I on the other hand agonised: was it Saruman, the only non-elf, or Legolas, the only one who was actually a member of the Fellowship? My fellow team members backed away nervously, the Tolkien fanaticism was a side of me they had previously been unaware of.
PS I made the right choice, which was Saruman. And we won the quiz - an annual event in which we had been runners up for the last three years.
Which goes some way to make up for the hideous humiliation I am currently suffering in WWXIII.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 AM   #1907
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
White Tree

When you start to print out LOTR songs and bring them with you to work. . .
It is at the same time you realise that you realy need to get a girlfriend.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #1908
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
When, even though you don't know the chords on a guitar, you can still play PJ's LotRs theme on one.

When you become emotionally distraught because no one at your school or place of recreation knows who Boromir and your handpainted "Boromir for President" shirt goes fully ignored.

When you get homocidal tendencies after someone asked you who "Barrow-mir" is and why is he running for President.

When a tinge of pride always seems to occur to you remembering that between your local bookstore and library there are over a dozen indexes about Lord of the Rings... yet, deep inside, you're extremely jealous.

When you spend hours trying to figure out how the librarians are squandering your time with the Tolkien indexes... because its obvious they are, you just don't know now yet. *paranoid look*

When you wonder how many similarities there are between Mordorian and Moon rocks.

When you seriously consider retyping the indexes onto your computer so you might be able to have instant access when, Eru forbid, you forget one of Turin's many names.

When you become mentally unstable because someone did not pronounce their Quenyan "C" properly.

When you can't help but giggle when you make chili.

When you stop reading the Two Towers for a week because you've noticed that there was a typo made around page 225 in the 41st printing. You consider writing to Tolkien to correct this, but the relieze that he is long dead which reduces you to weeping like a little girl.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #1909
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
When, in your chemistry exam you read the compound Br2 (Boromine) as "Boromir". Constantly. And it's an important exam and you shouldn't be distracted. Yet you can't help it!!!!
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #1910
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
When, in your chemistry exam you read the compound Br2 (Boromine) as "Boromir". Constantly. And it's an important exam and you shouldn't be distracted. Yet you can't help it!!!!
and then you look up at the dry erase bored and see your teacher's LotR calendar and wonder what he is going to do with it after the year is over.

Many times I sit in chemistry class and wonder just what he will do with it, but havent quite gotten the nerve to ask.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #1911
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Whenever you hear of someone named "Eleanor" You assume that the parents must have been Tolkien fans. It stands to reason!
The same goes for people named Sam.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #1912
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Whenever you hear of someone named "Eleanor" You assume that the parents must have been Tolkien fans. It stands to reason!
The same goes for people named Sam.
I do that too. In fact, I work with someone who has daughters named Eleanor and Rosie, so I have an obsession that they are named after Sam's favourite lasses, but I just know they cannot possibly be, and I look enough of an obsessive loonie without embarrassing myself with daft questions!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #1913
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
When you can spend fifteen minutes describing the cultural fighting styles --complete with gestures-- of each race infront of a class of snoozing teenagers because, finally, you've found one person who actually seems interested.

We can get away with it. Its Humanities.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #1914
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
When your physics teacher, with whom you rarely speak with and very much dislike, writes in your yearbook "Remember FRODO!" and you decide maybe they weren't such a bad teacher after all...

and when you can make over five new friends in one gym period by singing Hobbit drinking songs loudly while people rockclimb.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #1915
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
I guess quite many of us has done this marathon... We made it to the end, though - with some carry-home pizza and a fellowship of five.

It was a feat, I say. Worthy of note!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #1916
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

We bought a load of old Tolkien books yesterday (assorted nice old hardbacks) in a second hand bookshop in Lincoln and the woman on the counter was laughing and saying "ooh, we haven't got a problem, have we?" Which made me laugh, and say "actually, we do have a problem".

You know you are obsessed when people make comments and you acknowledge that you do have some 'issues' there.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #1917
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up You Know your obsessed when...

When walking around town, while tired, you awake to find yourself in a bookshop next to the Tolkien books with a copy of The Lord of the Rings in your hand. Then you sputter and say aloud, "How did I get in here?"
This happened to me on Friday. I think my mind blanked out for about five minuets and then I was in WHSmiths for no reason.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #1918
Ryan_Wizard_Prince

Shield The day when the courage of Men fails has come.

You know your obsessed with LOTR when you can talk about it constantly in Health class annoy the teacher so much that she joins the converstaion and ends up passing you and your best friend because "you gave me something to gossip about."
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 AM   #1919
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
You aren't yet that obsessed, but you know you have another 50 years, 60 with modern science of it slowly growing on you like - like the darkness of ... Mordor! No! Not Mordor, slowly creeping up, creeping up like ... Ungoliant! NO!

(holds head and writhes on floor)
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 AM   #1920
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

When writing your CV you try and get as many Tolkien references in as possible, even if its not relevant. Such as, "I sometimes feel I'm fighting 'the long defeat'" or "I am often told that 'its an ill wind as blows nobody no good'" and so on...