The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Ents in the old Forest

i was just reading the fellowship again, not too long ago, and the behaviour of the trees in the old forest suprised me in the way that it was very similar to the dark trees of fangorn forest, anyody else think so?
And if ye do it follows logically that there may have been ents in the old forest too...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
Mungo of Bracegirdle
Pile O'Bones

Mungo of Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you are very right to think this. there are several times when ents are discussed even before we meet treebeard in tt. For example, i belive its in the first chap of fotr where several hobbits are talking about a large walking tree in the shire. Also it is mentioned several times that fangorn forest actually, at one time, reached all the way to the old forest. And the old forest does contain huorns. remember that at one time much of that area was under the control of the witch king, and it is persumed that during that time the trees became "full of malice."

Cheers

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Mungo of Bracegirdle ]
Yet the lies that Melkor...sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and connot be destroyed, and ever and annon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit unto the latest days.
Mungo of Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure the Ents roamed there, from Treebear's (I know it's a typo, but I like it now I see it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) words, and indeed it odes seem to be a dark patch like in Fangorn, but not as dangerous (those trees porbably would have eaten the Shire by now [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) - it seems to me that Old Man Willow was one of those partially-awakened trees, a rotten Huorn as Treebeard might say. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The book's description of Hurons seem to describe to a "T" what was supposed to be in the old forest. This is what I'd always assumed it was. I would have to say that ents are possible but Hurons are more likely.

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Elvish Archer ]

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Sting

hey thanks guys i thought i was the only one to think so,
but on later reflection mabey there aren't any ents (hurons defo) but no ents. My only reason to say this is mabey Treebeard gave the old forest over to the care of Tom Bombadil(i know my spelling sucks) and he was a kind of "Acting Ent" so to speak over the rotten tree's.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

There is some confusion here about the name spelling of the half-alive, corrupted trees - they are called 'Huorns'! 'Huron' is the name of an extinct Indian tribe, and a discussion about them would be off-topic at the Downs... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

And then there is the very real tree, Houn Pine (had to write about in school [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] but at least I got to spell it Huorn Pine all the time, and nobody noticed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Old 11-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beg the Mod's pardon for the typo. No offense.

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:21 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Am I imagining things, or does Tolkien say somewhere that Fangorn and the Old Forest were originally both part of one, much larger, forest?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yes, Tolkien does indeed say that. Although I don't have the exact quote, I remember Treebeard (I think it was Treebeard) saying that once a squirrel could jump from tree to tree and thus traverse all of Eriador, which meant that Ents and Huorns were probably everywhere in Middle-earth once upon a time. Then, we Men came along (along with the Elves, I presume) and cleared ourselves little patches of land, that encroached upon the boundaries of the forests until they were all separated.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 09:31 AM   #11
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Well remember, they helped Beren in a battle in Beleriand too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

However, from Leg's words, it seems that they never reached Mirkwood. :'(

Old 11-08-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that it is highly possible that Ents lived in the Old Forest.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Sting

well if(fangon,mirkwood and the onl forest) was all one forest in the begining it would make sence that mabey a few ents were separated when the forests were divided and some were left behind.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
it seems that they never reached Mirkwood.
Ah, it would seem not, although I recall the Ents telling of the Entwives, who dwelt in what is now the Brown Lands, which is adjacent to Mirkwood. Even Tolkien never said for sure what happened to them. It doth seem likely that, were they to escape, they would prefer lands such as the Shire. But, as this excerpt from the Encyclopedia of Arda suggests, even Tolkien would not or could not say:
Quote:
Tolkien's clearest statement on the matter is to be found in his Letters: 'I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429 - 3441)...' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 144, dated 1954). This is less definite than it might appear, because he goes on to suggest that some might have fled into the east, and finally simply states of their fate, 'I don't know.'
I rather like this ambiguity on Tolkien's part with respect to parts of Middle Earth's history that are not always specifically addressed. It speaks of the same speculation that historians in our own realm employ to explain things that are not covered in traditional histories. He really knew how to create in this 'historical' context, and that is one of the myriad charms of his work! (Have I digressed? Sorry!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #15
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Um, okay.
Treebeard did say that some of the trees in Fangorn had some black patches, and they could be the same type of trees(or Ents or Hourns) as the ones in The Old Forest too.
And yes, Treebeard also did state that at one time, a squirell could jump from tree to tree and thus travel all of Eriador.
Which means that they were probably all one forest at one point in time.
So it could be a little of both.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #16
wishn4sumfishn

Tolkien

you know its so funny you bring that up , cause just last night I was readin the book and I had gotton to that chapter, and wondered the same thing....
weird
Old 11-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Yeah, life works like that.

That happens to me sometimes too.
But everything works together for the good of God.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote