The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
Ceragrim

Shield Who else?

My topic is simple enough. If one or two (2 be the most) more ppl had been chosen to go w/ the fellowship, who do you think should have gone?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This question is more an opinion topic than a book discussion, therefore it has been moved to join similar threads on the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 AM   #3
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm guessing the Sons of Elrond would have ahd a shot fo going, since they did go to War in the end.
Glorfindel seems like a good option, BUT - would not Sauron have detected him if he entered Mordor? Then again, the same point could be made about Gandalf.

Frankly if I were Elrond I would have sent Merry and Pippin home anyway...they just seem a bit unsafe.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it did seem very foolish sending merry and pippin along, but in the end the served their own purpose, for if it wasnt for them the ents would never have destroyed Isengaurd, then again look how well sam protected frodo aswell and he was nothing but a mere gardner..
the sons of elrond should have gone for sure, and mabey even another ranger, safety in numbers and all that.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always wondered why Glorfindel didn't go along. Seems more logical/obvious than Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, or Sam/Merry/Pippin.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree with you guys, Glorfindle would have been a fair bet. It'd be like having another Legolas really. And the sons of Elrond could have gone, seeing as they ended up in about the same place anyway.
Who else was at the coucil who could have gone? Gloin? He was a bit old and has had enough adventures [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I can't think of anyone else.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It'd be like having another Legolas really.
Not really, Glorfindel was much better than Legolas. He was both wiser and stronger and was specifically sent back by the valar to help Elrond fight the forces of Sauron.
Although if Glorfindel had gone along, he probably would have fought the balog instead of Gandalf, since he had already killed one, which would have meant Gandalf wouldn't have died and had his power enhanced on his return.
Legolas was a good warrior, but he is no comparison to Glorfindel.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with the choice of Elrond's sons. They are the best two additions.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
Dolenarda

Ring

Anybody other than gimly. I never really understood why none of the other dwarfs volunteered
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #10
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Gwendale and Layulmaien(me and a friend of mine)
Just kidding.
Um, I don't really know, I'll have to get bakc to you about that.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #11
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can I pick characters not present at Rivendell? I'd send Eowyn and Faramir along on it. It would make things interesting (her being the only female), and there would be the obvious attraction from Faramir's side. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Okay, fine, I just want to see them interact, I think Eowyn rocks, and Faramir's awesome. *sigh* Ah, Denethor, he's a good guy, really!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting choice of Glorfindel, Legolas! Certainly he is capable and would be a great asset, but to my mind, he is also too conspicuous. The Nazgul encountered him at the Ford of Bruinen and I believe their fear of him was one thing that drove them securely into the trap there. I think, if the spies of Saruman and of Sauron were to espy Glorfindel on the road with a band of travelers, they'd get REAL suspicious! Legolas is, to my mind, a much better choice of Elf, as he is rather a background type, unobtrusive, effective, more like a ninja than a samurai. Perhaps Elladan and Elrohir, as they are not as conspicuous as Glorfindel, but they are also invaluable for the defense of Rivendell and were actively involved in same at the time the Fellowship came along. I say...send Figwit! No one knows who he is! Everyone would be looking at him, saying "Who is that?" and Frodo could sneak off unnoticed like he did anyway! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM   #13
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

That would be kind of funny.
They turn around "Hey, who the hell is that guy? He's not in the script. Peter!"
PJ:"Shh, we're rolling cameras."

Um, Glorfindel and Haldir.
I don't exactly know of anyone besides that.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #14
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Not really, Glorfindel was much better than Legolas
Point taken. I wasn't really thinking when I wrote that. But thinking about it now, I wouldn't have sent him (Glorfindle) along. He'd upset the balance too much, as someone pointed out, he probably would have battled the Balrog (though it's not certain). Do you think that he could almost rival Gandalf? Obviously Gandalf has the upper hand on most things (him being a wizard, etc) but Glorfindle is pretty superior (for want of a better word) compared to say, Legolas or Boromir. I'd guess that he'd be a better warrior than them. Do you think he would be as wise/wiser than Gandalf? He's certainly been around.