The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question Pets?

I love animals and have often wondered..do you think many people in middle earth had them,if so what would they be?
could you picture Saruman with a ruddy old dog...lol...what do you think?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
We do know that Farmer Maggot had dogs. Granted, on a farm, dogs are not quite pets, but usually have a task to accomplish. Still, that's the closest actual book reference that occurs to me.

(cross-posted with Farael) Yes, Queen Beruthiel had cats; I suppose they would count as pets, though she was reputed to use them for spying.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, we know the farmer (can't remember his name) who helps the four hobbits had three dogs, so I guess dogs were pets in Middle Earth as well. Then I've heard talk (although I haven't read about it) that one queen had nine cats... so dogs and cats so far. Would a horse count as a pet or as a mean of transport?

Those are all the animals I can think of on top of my head... anyone wants to add to the list?

Cross posted with Estelyn who remembers the name of FARMER MAGGOT... I was talking about him before.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Yes I guess there was cats,dogs and horses.But if you could imagine them having pets what do you think they would be?Ex:Wormtounge would probably have a rat.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
i'd assume for most of middle earth animals wpould be kept for more labourus reasons, although a 'bond' might be established between owner and beast. (horses of rohan, cattle). i dont think most beings would be well off enough that they would have an animal for pleasure, as it mioght cost extra time and money. the richer(maybe elves, noble men) might have some pets as the above mentioned queen of gondor had nine cats. the rohirrim would be the closest i could think of, as they cared for there horses, not like the haradrim and mumakil. i guess other than that, manwe had eagles, morgoth and his balrogs wouldnt really count, and sauron and shelob is a bit comical to think of. the hobbits and elves there fore being less affiliated with war(on the hobbits part anyway) an being more 'elevated'(on the elves part) would be the ones. farmer maggot had dogs to help 'defend' his farm, but there is no evedince against the fact he cared for them. the 'pets' in middle earth could be an owners friend, but would alwaysed be 'used' for something.
woo i dragged that out....
________
Half-baked

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Valier, if you'd like to get humorous suggestions as to which character would have which pet, you can start a thread for that on the Middle-Earth Mirth forum - that could be fun! It doesn't look like there's enough source material for a serious discussion on pets here.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
We know for certain of Legolas' hare, but that's about all that's sure.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Eyrie

I'd like to add one more petowner to the list: Barliman Butterburs' helper Bob. He got a cat. This is from FotR, At the sign of Prancing Pony, just after Frodos' song:

Quote:
'Where's old Barley?' they [people at the inn] cried. 'He ought to hear this. Bob ought to learn his cat the fiddle, and then we'd have a dance.'
Also, Erendis got a pair of special birds which lived free but always stayed there where Erendis lived. I guess they could be called some sort of pets, although they are self-sustaining.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And I can picture high-class Gondorians with hunting hawks, pretty young Gondorian ladies with cats, dogs or birds and hobbits with cats or dogs (or even rabbits ). I know this is very rude to Huan, but he was kind of a pet Celegorm's (or Curufin's?), if we only regard the fact that he was a dog... And there are a lot of famous horses, who are more like companions than pets (like Huan)...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Beorn had a houseful of domestic animals, although they appear more as servants than pets. Perhaps, however, they also served as companions.

He also kept bees, but I should imagine that was more for their produce than for their companionship.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I agree with Telecontar. Think of the possibilities! Sauruman with a spying hawk, Manwe with a parakeet, or Sam with a gineau pig(actually i have a gineau pig named sam,hahah im such a nerd)
________
Marijuana indica

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Thanks

I took the advice and moved this thread to Middle Earth Mirth...So go.. ....go check it out...you know you want to!