The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #81
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Neglected (ignored, disregarded, rejected)

"The Bath Song" - Actually one of my favourites. The "absurdo-meter" rings loud and clear! And you could come up with reasons as well: just think of the songs Tolkien wrote and which of them are celebrated, composed to music, heralded as great English literature masterpieces... you don't find the Bath Song from the list of top-recorded Tolkien songs or from the academic papers analysing Tolkien's poetry. Ignored, disregarded, rejected... yes.

Merry Brandybuck - Another one I like: I would say he's the most neglected major character by the prof in the whole LotR, and compared to the closest meaningful parallel aka. Pippin it's clear Pip gets time and attention whereas Merry is mostly just tossed around ignored and disregarded - even rejected by Theoden. The Pelennor fields just seems to top his fate as the ignored character.

King of the Dead - Like someone said already, being forgotten and neglected inside their mountainy-tomb for millenia. The fact there wasn't a true heir to Isildur around to fulfill the prophecy might be played as cause for the neglect (so it is not negligence as such but just that the conditions for invoking them were not ripe until Aragorn turned in) but they were surely disregarded, nevertheless.

Halls of Mandos - Maybe I should like this one because it doesn't seem to make any sense to me. But it doesn't make a funny or absurd sense either. It's an ever enlargening and ever crowding place and one of the most important places in Valinor every elf would have to consider. An elf really couldn't ignore - not to talk of disregarding or rejecting - the Halls of Mandos! Well, maybe as the actual "contradiction" card taking the satirical meaning: the most important place = the most ignored place...

Weathertop - Weathertop had been in a sense neglected for a long time by most of the folks - but then again no one kind of lived near enough (which could be used as argument for them being neglected as well). But if we look just at the LotR, no one can say Weathertop is neglected or ignored! Gandalf and Aragorn saw it important enough a place to pay a visit there even if was side from the main routes - and the Nazgûl thought it important enough to keep constant watch on it.

Celebrimbor - Hmm. There is some considerable lack of data concerning Celebrimbor and it could be actually argued he is - as a character - neglected by Mr. Tolkien. Or to be more precise: he was added into the legendarium to fill a place but Tolkien never quite got into writing about him and to make him a real character of "flesh and blood" but left him as just a name and a place-filler. Actually a pretty decent choice.

Cats of Beruthiel - Well, on top of what tp said that they had the love and company of Beruthiel herself - and were very important to her - one could add that they became legendary creatures tales were told generation after generation. Yes, Tolkien gave us very little of them and could be said to have ignored them somewhat, but that notwithstanding, they were highly considered and known all over, even in common sayings of the third age...

Entwives - It's hard to see any argument seriously stating Entwives to be neglected. Disappeared: yes. Neglected, disregarded, ignored - or rejected(!), no way! They were on the ents' minds constantly and they thought of them all the time asking anyone they met if they had seen the Entwives - and they sang about them, reminisced them, thought of them all the time - and longed for them deeply. That's hardly what you'd call negligence.

The Party Tree - Like somene said: it's the centerpiece of a festival. You could also point out that it takes a lot of work to pick, fall and erect it - not to talk of decorating it. Yes, one could argue that after the festival is over the Party tree could be neglected or disregarded - but I doubt the Hobbits did that. And anyway, it should be some random "ex-party tree" then, not "The Party tree" - which clearly points at the one on Bilbo's jubilee.

Radagast - echoing tp here: "the isolation was self-imposed". And adding this: if we wish to talk of neglected or ignored wizards, then how about talking of the so called Blue Wizards first? You may say Saruman disregarded his importance and ignored his particular role - but even with his erring conception of Radagast he didn't neglect him but tried to use him to his own ends.

The Lonely Mountain - Haha! I think this has winner-qualities. I mean whatever the actual negligence (which probably isn't that true) the name kind of does it. If something is named the Lonely Mountain then how do you argue against it? Okay, one could try saying that if it had been truly neglected or ignored no one would have bothered to name it in the first place... but well, I just like this pick.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #82
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

FYI, I'm going to be making my decision pretty early because I'm going out of town tonight (so basically within the next 4 hours).

So I kinda want to just pick Lonely Mountain because it made me laugh so hard, but I suppose I should consider some other options.

The other ones that struck me as possibly fitting the bill were Entwives, Weathertop, King of the Dead and Radagast.

I think Phantom and Nog are right in saying that Radagast really didn't want very much attention to begin with, so you can't really neglect something that wants to be alone.

The Entwives are a bit tough, cause when we hear about them it's more about the fact that they are lost and the Ents are trying to find them, but the reason they are gone could very well be because the Ents neglected them. But I think in the end the fact that the Ents seem to miss them so much means they are no longer neglected, so I guess they don't completely qualify.

Weathertop is a pretty good contender because of the state it was in. A truly valued watchtower would not be left to fall into ruin, so it was definitely neglected for a long time.

Then the King of the Dead (and all his men) were neglected for thousands of years, left in that weird restless state until Aragorn showed up and allowed them to be useful.

Soooo....I want to pick the Lonely Mountain for the humour factor (in the real life game humour is usually what I go with), but Weathortop and King of the Dead do have legitimate reasons to be chosen. I'll think about it for a bit.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #83
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I has to make a decision now because I'm about to leave for a very long bus ride.

So I'm going to go with the humorous choice, because it was my initial reaction and what I would do in the RL game.

++Lonely Mountain

Congrats to who ever made that choice, very clever.

For the next few days of the game I won't be posting at all but will be participating still by texting my choices to Boro, I'm sure I will have a lot of interesting things to read when I get home ^_^
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #84
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Congratulations Master Gwath on the very humorous selection. I think everyone got a good laugh at that one.

(And yet again, I was tempted to post things such as..."Sure The Lonely Mountain was inhabitted, but it's not just humorous in the name. It's neglected by its own kind...all other Mountains!" )

Well. A bit of a long wait. Safe travels wilwa.

Open discussion now, until tomorrow. (Hopefully I will not forget time again tomorrow )

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #85
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yep, that was the right pick. I was hoping you weren't feeling so mirthful and would pick my card, King of the Dead, but ah well...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #86
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well-deserved victory, I say!

My pick, Halls of Mandos, could have been considered funny, random, or sarcastic, but it doesn't reach half as far as Lonely Mountain!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #87
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
While I picked Weathertop, I probably would have gone with the Lonely Mountain as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #88
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Sometimes the taters align.

This was one of those times.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #89
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Nice pick Gwath!

I sent Merry and was actually a bit disappointed Wilwa didn't even consider picking him... I mean c'mon, he is always playing the second fiddle, and while everyone in the fellowship becomes a person and comes to the fore here and there, Merry is mostly just in the way and tossed here an there - and at the moment of his glory he is forgotten to the battlefield...

But to be honest, there were lots of other good choices to make as well. Although I don't think the Entwives was one. I would say them to be the opposite of neglected or ignored being constantly in the minds of the ents and as the dearest object of their daily longing.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #90
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Who picked "The Bath Song" (if you don't mind telling)?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #91
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Haha, seconded!

I mean had I been the judge on this round I would have seriously considered picking "The Bath Song"... You can find academic studies of the philosophical underpinnings of the Walking Song or the interaction of mediaval and romantic imagery and verse on the Song of Boromir - or you can hear composers making their versions of the Lament of Gandalf or the song of the ents and entwives... but where is all the fuzz about the Bath Song?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #92
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well, the Tolkien Ensemble has a nice version of the Bath Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVf_Vgr7kVk

But that's just one interpretation and beside the point anyways. I'm curious about the reasons for choosing it and just who picked it.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #93
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Tally

the phantom - 1 (Honest)
Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Gwath - 1 (Neglected)

----

ROUND 4

Galadriel55 your options for "Insane" are...

Tar-Atanamir
Gollum/Smeagol
Denethor
Angband
Mouth of Sauron
Ted Sandyman
Tom Bombadil
Fatty Bolger
Lobelia
Numenor
Thorin Oakenshield

---

ROUND 5

Green tater: Cuddly (loving, tender, huggable, soft)
Judge: MCRmygirl4eva
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #94
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Insane (psychotic, deranged, mad)

Haha! Denethor and Tom Bombadill surely qualify!

And why not Gollum & Thorin...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #95
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Denethor and Gollum would be the obvious choices. Fatty Bolger is probably the least insane character in the entire mythos...but maybe only a true psychopath could manage to appear so perfectly innocuous.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #96
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I think Nog has the idea- Gollum, Denethor, Bombadil, and Thorin all showed some signs of nuttiness.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #97
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I was very excited when I found out I have such an insane green tater.

I would have to think about it, really. Bombadil is quite nuts with all that singing, which makes me like this choice. Denethor, Gollum, and Thorin are all too true. And "insane Angband" sounds like something I would say in ME instead of "holy cow", so it makes me laugh. I suppose that Fatty Bolger was not at his sanest when he ran away from the Nazgul, starting the "FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!" signal.

I shall have to think further.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #98
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Bombadil is crazy: "The world is going to crap around me, la la la. No one knows who or what I am, hey dilly. I treat the Ring like it's a trinket, ding dillo. And I could really help on this adventure, but I'm staying here to... dance and stuff."

Denethor is crazy: "We're screwed! I'm just going to kill myself. Oh, and my son too. Duty to kingdom? Ha! I like fire better."

Thorin is crazy: "I'm going to reclaim my kingdom with the help of twelve dwarves and a hobbit. There's a dragon there, but, uh, something will... happen, I think. Anyway, we can steal from him. If he doesn't kill us. And if we can get in. And then I'll lock myself in the mountain."

Gollum is crazy: "I like my master. No, I don't, he's tricksy. But we want to destroy the Dark Lord, but no- I don't want to, because the Ring is my precious. But I hate it. Etc. etc."

All legit crazy I'd say...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #99
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Fatty Bolger is one of the most sane hobbits there is fex. by not willing to take part on that really crazy adventure - and being the organizer of all things there in the beginning requires a steady and composed mind anyway. It's hard to call his kind deranged, mad or insane - or psychotic. Choosing him would be insane - haha, an argument for picking him!

Ted Sandyman and Lobelia may be baddies of some sort but they are not insane. They are just people trying to capitulate from others - normal twenty-first century people that is. Well, one could describe our time as an insane age so therefore why not?

Tar Atanamir could make it into the same slot with Ted and Lobelia, only he is not a commoner on some far-away land aside from the civilization.
but he was a greedy and "unwilling" (as they called him) to die but that I think - looking at it from a mortal POV - is no sign of being deranged or mad. Who of us wishes to die?

Angband or Mouth of Sauron insane? No. Deranged, mad, psychotic? Not either. They were working perfectly reasonably and to the point. Bad, evil, corruptive? Yes - but those are other Red Taters than "insane".

Númenor being insane, psychotic, deranged or mad? Now excuse me as a great fan of Númenor! It's the heyday of humanity! Now some of it's rulers - late in their history - might have been too full of themselves and building the path to their own undergoing, but that Númenor itself would be something like insane, well no. If you say Númenor is insane you say that Valar were psychotic creating it, or that Eru himself was deranged allowing it's creation - or that Elros was mad - or Elendil or... (pick your favourite Númenorian here)

So I really think it leaves the choices into: Gollum/Smeagol, Denethor, Tom Bombadil, and Thorin Oakenshield.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #100
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks phantom for giving me the stuff to comment on for my top candidates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Bombadil is crazy: "The world is going to crap around me, la la la. No one knows who or what I am, hey dilly. I treat the Ring like it's a trinket, ding dillo. And I could really help on this adventure, but I'm staying here to... dance and stuff."
Yeah. He's the Tralla-lally guy. A perfect match in a sense. Mad, insane, deranged... even if not psychotic I'd say. But then again, being this older than the oldest living beings I doubt Eru would have given precedence to a Joker... So there must also be a wisdom of sorts there - and Gandalf seeked his advice anyway -and he wouldn't take an insane person seriously.

But well, he is crazy whatever one argues...

Quote:
Denethor is crazy: "We're screwed! I'm just going to kill myself. Oh, and my son too. Duty to kingdom? Ha! I like fire better."
Denethor is deranged by the Palantir, he is insane in not letting any other information come through but building his own deranged reality, he is mad for losing his wits because of that, and psychotic in his insistence of burning also Faramir in his folly when it really takes over. No counter arguement there I can see.

Except one could say the real reason for his folly was Sauron and not him... (compare to the arguments made on Sting or Eowyn)

Quote:
Thorin is crazy: "I'm going to reclaim my kingdom with the help of twelve dwarves and a hobbit. There's a dragon there, but, uh, something will... happen, I think. Anyway, we can steal from him. If he doesn't kill us. And if we can get in. And then I'll lock myself in the mountain."
Thorin clearly got deranged after gaining the dwarven treasure - and it is plain obvious he became mad in the end. Denying the offer from the elves, men and Gandalf was just insane and his insistence on it was psy: chotic to the bone...

Except one could say - like in the case of Denethor - that there was an outside factor that made him that way. In many occasions, well before gaining the treasure, Thorin was the most reasonable dwarf...

Quote:
Gollum is crazy: "I like my master. No, I don't, he's tricksy. But we want to destroy the Dark Lord, but no- I don't want to, because the Ring is my precious. But I hate it. Etc. etc."
Now Gollum seems to fit it perfectly. Insane, psychotic, deranged, mad... Surely he is deranged (by the Ring), psychotic (for his insistence on having it whatever it meant), mad (for losing his wits even if Frodo offered him a chance for redemption), and insane in trying to accomplish something that could only be his own downfall (did he really think he could have become the Lord of the Rings with Sauron, Gandalf and all the others just nodding to it?).

In a way all the others were made crazy by something else: The ring made Gollum deranged, the treasure made Thorin psychotic, the Palantir made Denethor insane - but Bombadil was "mad" by himself... but then again it can be questioned whether the "Old Tom" was insane or whether it was the world around him that was mad?

I'm happy I'm not judging this round...

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-23-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #101
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I suppose that Fatty Bolger was not at his sanest when he ran away from the Nazgul, starting the "FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!" signal.
I think running away upon seeing a Nazgul is pretty sane.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Sure, but what about mumbling something along the lines of "I don't have it! I didn't do it!" at a neighbour's threshold?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #103
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I'm pretty sure wetting your trousers in fear at this point would be reasonably sane too.

I think Denethor ranks high up on this list, maybe even above Gollum. Not only did he allow himself to go mad by way of the palantir, he tried to drag his son down with him.

Everyone went a little nutty because of the ring, but it takes a real loon to lose it with the palantir.

Last edited by Kitanna; 08-24-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Fixing my typo
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #104
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
Everyone went a nutty because of the ring, but it takes a real loon to lose it with the palantir.
Fair point.

I'm off to our summer cottage with Greenie, Lommy and Aganzir and will be back on Sunday. I'll be able to PM my choices to Boro with my phone but will not probably make too kmany comments on the thread before Sunday.

See you then.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #105
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Tar-Atanamir - he wasn't the nicest guy, but I can't say he was insane either.

Gollum/Smeagol - a bad case of schizophrenia and multiple identities. Not quite normal. I will consider him.

Denethor - quite nuts at the end. Just raving. Another one to consider.

Angband - well, saying "insane Angband" is quite funny, but it lacks the final shine to pick it.

Mouth of Sauron - insane MoS? I don't know. Seemed quite not so to me.

Ted Sandyman - insane? Him? Well maybe only a little bit. Not really enough.

Tom Bombadil - yet another one to consider. Even without the influence of the Ring he seems half cracked, and his songs can drive anyone out of their mind (which is also a good point, I suppose).

Fatty Bolger - a bit cracked when mumbling his story, but not enough to really make me pick him.

Lobelia - well poking a Ruffian twice her height with an umbrella is quite insane, but again, it's not enough to compete with the others

Numenor - perhaps I'm slow but I can't see how Numenor is insane.

Thorin Oakenshield - that one lost his wits with all that gold in his eyes. One more candidate I would consider.

So I have Thorin, Bombadil, Denethor, and Gollum as my candidates. I will narrow it down from here.

I would say that Gollum is out first, since he knows exactly what he is doing despite his multiple identities thing. He has weird manners, but his head is turned the right way, so to speak.

Now if I use the same reasoning Bombadil is out too, since beside his unusual habits he is quite sane and knows what he's doing. (But I like this one very much and it's a really close thing that I didn't pick Tom)

Between Thorin and Denethor now. They both seem to forget themselves during their moments of madness. Thorin's is caused by gold and greed, Denethor's by Sauron's influence and the palantir.

It is said that dragon's gold especially increases the greed factor, so with a stretch it could be said that Thorin had an outside influence. But with a stretch. I believe it is mostly his own ambition and greed. So if I go that way, Denethor's insanity was caused by his precarious use of the palantir and Sauron's influence. And Thorin's - through his own greed and ambition. And going from that, if it wasn't for Sauron's enchantments, Denethor would have been sane. If it wasn't for a dragon's enchantments, Thorin would have still gone mad.

So -

++THORIN OAKENSHIELD
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #106
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

And the first person to 2 then is....

the phantom

Congrats, the wild card Thorin pulls off the upset over the heavy contenders.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #107
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Wow.

Who picked Bombadil and Denethor? You alllllmost won.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #108
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

the phantom - 2 (Honest, Insane)
Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Gwath - 1 (Neglected)

----

ROUND 5

MCR your task is to choose which of these is the cuddliest...again, uhh good luck?

Alqualonde
Mumakil
The Wacher in the Water
Gimli
Smaug
Orome
Goblin-town
Morgoth
Fellbeast
The One Ring
Celeborn

----

ROUND 6

Green tater: Extraordinary (distinguished, dignified, acclaimed)
Judge: the phantom

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #109
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Round 6 green tater and judge: how very fitting.

PS. This has to be the most insane round of red taters. Smaug. I'd have considered Fellbeast if not for the stink. Can't wait to see how you'll reason this one out, MCR.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 08-24-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #110
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Round 6 green tater and judge: how very fitting.
Ditto!

ETA: What a collection of cuddly beasts and random whatnot MCR has to decide from!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #111
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'd love to accept the praise at face value, but I suspect you're merely looking to score a point through flattery...

"Now that I've said that about you, pick THIS."
Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #112
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
You wound me deeply, phantom dear. How could you think that of me?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #113
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Just as a note, Celeborn's added.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #114
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I DON'T GET IT
Alqualonde

I'm not sure how to spin this one at all. Possibly someone just getting rid of a card to get a new one.

HUMOROUS CONTRADICTIONS
Mumakil
Morgoth
Fellbeast
The Wacher in the Water
Smaug
Goblin-town

These are all along the same lines, so one simply must decide which does it the best. For my money a nasty Fellbeast or Watcher beats out Mumakil and Goblin-town, and the tentacles and watery quality of the watcher I think trumps Fellbeast. Morgoth is funny in the same way Smaug is (they'd both be terribly insulted), but I find Morgoth funnier given his status as supreme villain.

ANOMALY
The One Ring

We find people stroking the Ring and calling it "precious", so it nearly fits despite the fact that it totally isn't cuddly. The fact that it works as both serious and humorous makes this selection interesting.

HUMOROUS ABSURD
Orome
Gimli
Celeborn

These would depend on the possibility of one of them simply striking you as stupid/funny (in RL I imagine I would select one of these). The great and powerful warrior Orome as "cuddly" is worth a giggle, the overshadowed Celeborn viewed as a cuddle-toy for his powerful wife gets a giggle, and the little bearded guy with a big axe being picked up and hugged definitely makes me grin.

CONCLUSION

TOSS OUT
Alqualonde
Mumakil
Smaug
Goblin-town
Fellbeast

CONTENDERS
Morgoth- The mocking selection.
Watcher- The contradictory selection.
One Ring- The interesting selection.
Orome
Gimli
Celeborn- The in-the-moment silly selections.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #115
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I These are all along the same lines, so one simply must decide which does it the best. For my money a nasty Fellbeast or Watcher beats out Mumakil and Goblin-town, and the tentacles and watery quality of the watcher I think trumps Fellbeast.
And just think what happens next if the Watcher tries to cuddle you back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
ANOMALY
The One Ring

We find people stroking the Ring and calling it "precious", so it nearly fits despite the fact that it totally isn't cuddly. The fact that it works as both serious and humorous makes this selection interesting.
I agree. I like this one too. It's the most original one, I suppose.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #116
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:

TOSS OUT
Alqualonde
Mumakil
Smaug
Goblin-town
Fellbeast

CONTENDERS
Morgoth- The mocking selection.
Watcher- The contradictory selection.
One Ring- The interesting selection.
Orome
Gimli
Celeborn- The in-the-moment silly selections.
I don't know how cunningly tp plays at this stage of the game, but I'd give you MCR an advice not to pick any of the last (aka. "the contenders") unless you want to give the phantom a three point lead...

Mumakil and Smaug are like the soft toys little children have - quite cuddly and huggable - and still in the books something completely different. I liked those choices. Gimli would come a close third to me.

Morgoth and The Watcher are already reaching out, like the Fellbeast (you don't make a "teddy-bear" -kind of thing from them that easily).

Towns are not "cuddly" - so people have been just discarding Red Taters they don't like or which don't seem to fit anywhere. Oromë and Celeborn sound more or less the same.

The One Ring? Well yes, that could make the "absurdometer" ring...

Someone asked who sent Denethor in the last round... well I did. It was so close but yet so far...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #117
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

An afterthought. Against my verdict in the earlier post, I'd say Celeborn is not that bad a choice. It is actually quite a funny idea. I mean he might need a hug in the world of men Tolkien describes - and him being under the shadow of his wife...

And by the way, I might bet on The One Ring being the phantom's choice...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #118
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
*waves*

Quote:
Wow.

Who picked Bombadil and Denethor? You alllllmost won.
Blargh. I think "so close, but yet so far" is just my thing as well, Nog. I had good old Tom.

And don't underestimate reverse psychology. Phantom's tater may be one of those he said to toss out.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #119
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
And don't underestimate reverse psychology. Phantom's tater may be one of those he said to toss out.
Not quite yet, Sally. And possibly never in this kind of a game... possibly...

The reverse thing starts to bite when the number of players lessen in numbers (like in werewolf or that *what was it where we voted one person out every round -game?*). But this is different as there will always be 10+ choices. Maybe...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #120
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Maybe Orome actually rode around the woods giving hugs to cuddly furry animals.