The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril The Red Arrow

I'm not sure if I understand the symbolism of The Red Arrow that was presented to The Riders of Rohan to call them to war. What does it mean, and why should it change Theoden's mind from riding East to fight? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I don't believe the Red Arrow was symbolic in any way. It was simply the 'code' for letting Rohan know their aid was needed. A black arrow or a green spear would have been equally as effective. It just happened that Gondor and Rohan chose a red arrow.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Sting

The good think of literature is that you can always think of a symbol anywhere... just go to any symbol dictionary/encyclopedia

I think that it was chosen for being somehow threatening well that's an arrow in red what are the first thoughts that come to your head?!?
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:09 PM   #4
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

If Mirkgirl was too vague: red = blood (just in case you came on here drunk and couldn't figure it out). Red arrow = arrow with blood, which is usually made when someone shoots an arrow (that is in case you were COMPLETELY intoxicated).

I agree with that idea too (I mean, that's the best symbolic translation I can think of). Not the most pleasant, warm, cozy symbol, but, then again, that isn't the most pleasant, warm, cozy message!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree. And besides, it would sound stupid as "The Purple Arrow"

(Ok I could've picked any color but this was funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #6
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Sting

Quote:
If Mirkgirl was too vague: red = blood
I meant to be vague and red=passion/threat/anger/whatever_you_name_it was what I meant.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe the Stewards of Gondor used the Red Arrow because they figured those hayseeds in Rohan couldn't read.

"OK, see? Red Arrow means 'come and fight'. No, don't worry about the details. We'll fill you in when you get here. Just remember - 'Red Arrow' equals 'fight'. Simple, right?"
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 08:25 PM   #8
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
They might want to be a wee bit more specific than that otherwise you might end up with...

Riders of Rohan: "Hayseeds! You callin' us a bunch of ignorant hayseeds?! Oh, we're gonna come fight alright! Hayseed this you snit!"
[*Broadsword upside the head*]
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 03-30-2002, 12:18 AM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Funny, the first thing I thought of was the Moscow-St. Petersburg express train (also called the Red Arrow, though not for similar reasons, one would hope).

Isn't red just usually considered a symbol of danger or threat? In which case the meaning of a red arrow would be pretty obvious; also it's a much more dramatic symbol to flourish at your assembled troops than a piece of paper which they couldn't read from more than two feet away anyhow.

Does anyone know, BTW, how red became a symbol of potential danger (or is it just because it's the same color as blood?) Stop signs are red, of course, but there probably weren't too many of those in Rohan [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-30-2002, 02:32 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Scientifically, red is the color that can be seen farthest and soonest, even when there is not much light. If I remember rightly, that's because it is the color with the longest wavelength. So choosing red to warn is logical for traffic signs and warning symbols, such as the red arrow.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:09 AM   #11
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

How about chartreuse with purple polka-dots arrows?
Red is an attention getting color, especially if you're driving a red car. The cops seem to gravitate & pull over red cars more frequently.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:28 PM   #12
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Maybe they couldn't find an arrow in a different color. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 03:13 PM   #13
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Ok, that helps, thanks you guys! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 05:25 PM   #14
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

chartreuse with purple? but that may blend in to the forest (green in the light, purplish in the shade). Now, I admit, they WEREN'T in the shade, but still...I'm just being picky because...well...that's me... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] !

And I doubt, after all those years, they would misinterperate the arrow color. I mean, if one were to give ME any weapon that was painted red, I would get a hint...now if they gave me a chartreuse arrow with purple polka dots...I may just worry about the person's sanity...or I might not understand the color. Red everybody understands.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #15
Merendis
Animated Skeleton

Merendis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

IF they sent a green or a pink arrow, it wouldn't be quite as urgent sounding. WOuld you stop at a green stop sign?

http://www.colormatters.com/accident.html

Riding one day in the forest of the Westlands he saw a woman, whose dark hair flowed in the wind, and about her was a green cloak...and he knew her for Erendis...then suddenly he knew in himself the love that he bore her, and he felt the emptiness of his days.
Merendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:02 AM   #16
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Tolkien

A black featherad arrow barbed with steel with a red tip sent from gondor to rohan when the former neededaid