The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2001, 03:05 PM   #1
as eowyn
Wight

as eowyn has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Better cast/Disaster cast

<BR>Okay I was afraid to do this while the movies were still filming (not sure why just a foreboding) but now that their done here go's. <br> 1. If you could go back and be the caster who would you have chosen for. . .?<br> (1)The nine walkers<br> (2)Galadriel<br> (3)Bilbo<br> (4)Eowyn<br> (5)Arwen<br> And anyone else you would like.<br> 2. Chose the worst posible actors/actreses you can think of to play the above. Me and some of my Tolkienly inclined friends did this and it was great! So try it out express your feelings with 1. and have fun with 2. <br> <br> <p></p>
as eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 04:19 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<BR><br><br> This really weird 70's theme hit me when I saw this question. And I just had to share it.<br> <br> 1) The nine walkers: The cast of the Brady Bunch (including Alice). Gollum would be that kid that played cousin Oliver.<br> 2)Galadriel: Chrissy from Three's Company (a FotR chapter title, sort of)<br> 3)Bilbo: Don Knotts<br> 4)Eowyn: Janet from Three's Company (There it is again!)<br> 5)Arwen: Cheryl Ladd (A Charlie's Angel)<br> <br> I don't have a BEST list yet. <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000002>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 1/4/01 6:09:23 am<br></i>
Old 01-03-2001, 11:38 PM   #3
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR><br><br> That is real cute, I wish I could come up with such an All-Star cast, but I can't. <p></p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 02:36 AM   #4
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> This is above me. But the worst actor for Aragorn (in the Medeavil field of acting) would be the guy that played the dragonslayer in Dragonheart. <p>Gwaihir the Windlord <I><A href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">the barrow-downs</A></I><BR> 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,<BR> for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,<BR> and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'<BR></p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
as eowyn
Wight

Ring

<BR>oh come on</b><br><br> RKittle thats was wonderful! But the rest of you come on, please just try. I agree with Gwaihir, he would be terrible, but I think Don Knotts would be worse as Arogorn. <p></p>
Old 01-04-2001, 03:47 PM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR> Re: Better cast/Disaster cast</b><br><br> Made-for-TV LotR:<br> Aragorn = David Hasselhoff<br> Galadriel = Jaclyn Smith (second choice: Jane Seymour)<br> Gandalf = Wilford Brimley<br> Gimli = Danny DeVito<br> Legolas = Stuart French<br> Boromir = Scott Baio<br> Faramir = Noah Wylie<br> [Note: no budget for expensive digital effects, so we have to go with short actors for the Hobbits.]<br> Frodo = Michael J. Fox<br> Sam = Joe Pesci<br> Merry = Luke Perry<br> Pippin = Jason Priestly<br> Gollum = David Spade<br> Arwen = Carmen Electra<br> Éomer = Dolph Lundgren<br> Elrond = Harry Hamlin<br> The Gaffer = Jerry Stiller (George's Dad on <i> Seinfeld</i>)<br> ...and introducing Britney Spears as Éowyn<br> <br> <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 01:34 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Better cast/Disaster cast</b><br><br> Since everyone seems to have been stunned into speechlessness by my made-for-TV cast, let me introduce my all-black cast into the resounding silence.<br> <br> Gandalf = Morgan Freeman<br> Gollum = Urkel<br> Frodo = Will Smith<br> Sam = Chris Rock<br> Pippin = Marlon Wayans<br> Merry = Omar Epps<br> Aragorn = Denzel Washington<br> Boromir = LL Cool J<br> Faramir = Cuba Gooding Jr.<br> Legolas = Taye Diggs<br> Gimli = Roc<br> Galadriel = Whitney Houston<br> Theoden = Danny Glover<br> Denethor = Bill Duke<br> Saruman = Samuel L. Jackson<br> Elrond = Robert Guillaume<br> Éowyn = Angela Bassett<br> Arwen = Tyra Banks <p></p>
Old 01-05-2001, 08:41 PM   #8
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Ring

<BR><br><br> What I would have chosen:<br> <br> (1)The nine walkers: You're not supposed to see their faces, so what does it matter?<br> (2)Galadriel: Michelle Pfeiffer<br> (3)Bilbo: That cute little guy from &quot;Willow&quot;<br> (4)Eowyn: Maybe Drew Barrymore?<br> (5)Arwen: Sophie Marceau<br> <br> Worst:<br> <br> (1)The nine walkers: either The Jackson 5, *NSync, or the Green Bay Packers<br> (2)Galadriel: Roseanne<br> (3)Bilbo: David Suchet (the guy from Poirot)<br> (4)Eowyn: That girl from 3rd Rock<br> (5)Arwen: ...other than Liv? maybe Yoko Ono?<br> <br> At second glance, that last list looks pretty sweet. <p><p align=center>Every leaf a miracle ~ The woods are lovely, dark, and deep <br> I am Administrator at <a href=http://pub43.ezboard.com/bfangornforest>Fangorn Forest</a>!<br> I am also a great fan of <a href=http://pub23.ezboard.com/bminasmorgul>Minas Morgul</a> and <a href=http://pub29.ezboard.com/btolkiencommunity87810>Planet Tolkien</a>.</p></p>

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 01:34 PM   #9
coprophage7
Pile O'Bones

coprophage7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Worst List</b><br><br> Here's my attempt at a worst list:<br> Gandalf: Adam Sandler<br> Aragorn: Keanu Reeves<br> Arwen: Madonna<br> Galadriel: Pamela Anderson<br> Frodo: Gary Coleman<br> <br> It's short and incomplete, but I'll think of more later. Good list....hmm.... <p></p>
coprophage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 04:17 PM   #10
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Worst List</b><br><br> Gary Coleman is a great addition to any cast. I wish he really was in the movie. He could play any of the little guys. <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 01-09-2001, 09:46 AM   #11
coprophage7
Pile O'Bones

coprophage7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> It would have helped him out of financial troubles, so I guess it's not that bad.... <p></p>
coprophage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 01:40 PM   #12
as eowyn
Wight

Ring

<BR>. . .</b><br><br> Britney as Eowyn?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO<br> Onewhitetree, The nine walkers not the nine riders. You know the fellowship. <p></p>
Old 01-12-2001, 10:16 PM   #13
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: . . .</b><br><br> The worst:<br> Aragorn - Nick Carter<br> Galadriel - Lucy Liu<br> Gandalf - Danny Devito<br> Frodo - Arnold!<br> Legolas - Denzel Washington<br> Sam - the day receptionist at the YMCA, Orchard Road, Singapore<br> Arwen - Madonna<br> <br> Ugh. Liv is starting to look pretty good actually.<br> <p>Not all those who wander are lost.</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 01:54 AM   #14
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Disaster Cast</b><br><br> I would have thought that Arnold would be chosen as Aragorn...<br> <br> Gandalf - that guy who played Willy Wonka in that crap adaptation of <i> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory</i><br> Frodo - Leonardo di Caprio<br> Pippin/Sam, can't decide which - the kid from <i> Home Alone</i><br> Sauron - Britney Spears (yes, a female Sauron. I'm being politically correct. Or is it just a dislike of Ms Spears? )<br> Eowyn - Madonna<br> <p></p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 09:09 AM   #15
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Disaster Cast</b><br><br> I missed the crap version of that film, because the movie starring Gene Wilder is great!!!! <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 01-16-2001, 11:08 AM   #16
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Disaster Cast</b><br><br> Zoe, you should open your mouth a little <i> wider</i> when you speak. Ha! Looks like we have a bad egg here, BW. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 1/16/01 12:09:24 pm<br></i>
Old 01-22-2001, 01:18 PM   #17
as eowyn
Wight

Ring

<BR> Re</b><br><br> As a movie it wasn't so bad but if you have read the book it is MUCH better. <p></p>
Old 01-22-2001, 07:28 PM   #18
Zoe
Wight

Ring

<BR> Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> The movie made me cringe too often, that's all. I suppose if it wasn't meant to be anything like the book, it'd be okay. Just. <p></p>
Old 01-28-2001, 02:16 PM   #19
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> Rowan Atkinson would be the Wormtongue of my dreams.<br> I think anybody who knows him not only as Mr Bean but also as Black Adder may understand. <p><h6> A furore Normannorum / libera nos domine / summa pia gratia / nostra conservando / corpora et custodia / de gente fera / normannica nos / libera quae nostra / vastat deus regna </h6></p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:01 AM   #20
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> The Black Adder as Wormtongue! Brilliant! Now that you've got me thinking along international lines, I'll put up Roberto Benigni as my choice for Gollum. <p></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 08:10 AM   #21
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> Walther Matthau may have been a nice hobbit; e.g. a grumpy one, like Sandyman; or the Gaffer. <p><h6> A furore Normannorum / libera nos domine / summa pia gratia / nostra conservando / corpora et custodia / de gente fera / normannica nos / libera quae nostra / vastat deus regna </h6></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 01:39 PM   #22
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> Oliver Reed as the Old Took, and still thinking along international lines, Tchéky Karyo as the Mouth of Sauron. <p></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 02:01 PM   #23
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> Morgan Freeman as the Black Serpent <p><h6> A furore Normannorum / libera nos domine / summa pia gratia / nostra conservando / corpora et custodia / de gente fera / normannica nos / libera quae nostra / vastat deus regna </h6></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 02:33 PM   #24
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> Al Pacino as Uglúk; Jonathan Pryce as Grishnákh. BTW, I think Kevin Spacey would make a good Wormtongue, too. Come to think of it, Spacey would definitely make a better Grishnákh than Pryce. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 1/30/01 3:43:32 pm<br></i>
Old 01-30-2001, 02:47 PM   #25
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Soundtrack</b><br><br> Should the soundtrack be completely composed by DEVO or would it be best to be a compilation of the top 20 MTV TRL bands? Choices like these are hard to make! <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 01-30-2001, 02:52 PM   #26
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Soundtrack</b><br><br> You are an evil Wight! <br> <br> Hmm... maybe they could revive Kenny Loggins's career and hire him to compose the soundtrack.<br> <br> Keeping with the international theme: Jackie Chan as Ghân-buri-Ghân. <p></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 03:08 PM   #27
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Kenny Loggins!!!</b><br><br> Kenny Loggins!! Awesome!<br> <br> Hobbits dance the Springle-Ring at Bilbo's Farewell Party<br> <i> Every hobbit cut loose, footloose.</i> (Footloose)<br> &quot;Feetloose!&quot; Shouts an old hobbit!. <br> <br> At the charge of the Rohirrim!<br> <i> Riding right into the Pelennor!</i> (Danger Zone)<br> <br> Close the movie with Sam's return to Bag End.<br> <i> I'm alright! Don't nobody worry 'bout me.</i>(I'm Alright)<br> <br> <br> And you say <i> I'm evil</i>, Mr. Underhill. <br> You are diabolical to even think this! <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000002>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 1/30/01 4:11:29 pm<br></i>
Old 01-30-2001, 03:24 PM   #28
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> Re: Kenny Loggins!!!</b><br><br> ROTFLMAO!!! <br> <br> Is it too late to lobby to put the Barrow Downs sequence back in the movie?<br> <br> <i> Playing With the Boys</i><br> As Frodo et al caper about nude on the Downs (in slow motion, of course) while Tom goes to get them fresh clothes.<br> <br> <i> Mister Underhill wipes the tears from his eyes...</i><br> &quot;Feetloose!&quot; Ah, that is brilliant, brilliant stuff. <p></p>
Old 01-30-2001, 11:38 PM   #29
Zoe
Wight

Ring

<BR> Re: Kenny Loggins!!!</b><br><br> &quot;Feetloose&quot;! Lol! <br> <br> Perhaps, seeing as the movie was filmed in NZ, the soundtrack could be composed by New Zealand bands. Except I can't think of any as examples... <p></p>
Old 02-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #30
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Ring

<BR> New Zealand Bands</b><br><br> I know of a NZ band called the Lads. Their album is called Lost @ Sea, and some of the songs would be good, though I'm not sure where in the story they'd fit. A couple of their songs have been played on Dawson's Creek, though I'm not sure that recommends them to anyone here... <p><i>The days are fated to be filled with marvels.</i></p>

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 02:06 PM   #31
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand Bands</b><br><br> I can't see a soundtrack being very good for LotR, unless it was Kenny Loggins or maybe Bonnie Tyler(I need a Hero/Hobbit) or how about Men at Work. <p></p>
Old 02-01-2001, 02:24 PM   #32
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Bonnie Tyler</b><br><br> Bonnie Tyler! Another great suggestion! Wow! We are a smart bunch. She also did &quot;Total Eclipse of the Heart&quot;, right? Dunno why, but Bonnie brings Eowyn to mind. Perhaps she should have played Eowyn and sang the funeral dirge of Theoden.<br> <br> I just had a totally unrelated thought. Do you realize that when the movies are released, sitcoms will do small parodies of them to get a laugh (dream sequences and such). Further, cartoons will jump on the bandwagon. Which brings me to the epiphany that jumpstarted this paragraph - The Chipmunks! <br> <br> These are the people that should have played the hobbits. And Dave would be Gandalf. &quot;Pippin!&quot;..... &quot;Pippin&quot;.... Piiiiiiipppppeeennnn!&quot; And just imagine them performing the songs sung by the hobbits. <br> <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 02-01-2001, 07:32 PM   #33
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Bonnie Tyler</b><br><br> Now I'm ROFL. I wonder what the SNL skits will be like? <p></p>
Old 02-05-2001, 05:23 PM   #34
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Ring

<BR> More Inspired Casting</b><br><br> LL Cool J as Tom Bombadil! Who else could pull off Tom's outlandish wardrobe and tricky rhymes and not be completely ridiculous as &quot;The Master&quot;? Reshoots! It's not too late! <p></p>
Old 02-08-2001, 06:45 PM   #35
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</b><br><br> You said &gt;&gt;The movie made me cringe too often, that's all. I suppose if it wasn't meant to be anything like the book, it'd be okay. Just. &lt;&lt;<br> <br> I hope we aren't all disappointed in the LOTR movies, because I doubt they'll follow the books very closely.<br> <br> :-) <p></p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 07:47 PM   #36
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re:better/disater cast</b><br><br> I think that Britney Speares as Eowen would be absoulutly<br> out of the question I personally thing she would make an exellent Barrow wight (no offense to the barrow wight)ButI cant understand why no one likes Liv Taylor though.Why do people not like her?Is it her acting?The way she looks?What?<br> As for the hobbits (from the pics I've seen) I think the actors look remarkably like hobbits,and will do an exxelent job as hobbits<br> Samwise <p></p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:08 PM   #37
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Re:better/disater cast</b><br><br> It is my wightish (no offense, sam) opinion that Liz's chief talent lies in here ability to open her eyes in a sultry way. Otherwise, I haven't witnessed anything to set her apart from other actors. <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 02-11-2001, 03:22 PM   #38
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR> Re: Re:better/disater cast</b><br><br> Well, if Arwen wouldn't have had an expanded role in the first place, I can still tell there are people out there that would not want her in the movies. Personally, I don't care who the heck it is, as long as they are close to the description Tolkien gives, and they have some acting experience. <p>"It seems fate is not without a sense of irony."</p>
Old 02-19-2001, 02:15 PM   #39
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Ring

<BR> Re: Re:better/disater cast</b><br><br> I just had a thought. Has Weird Al Yankovich done a LotR song yet?!? <p><i>But tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?</i></p>

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 01:57 PM   #40
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Ring

<BR> Re: Re:better/disater cast</b><br><br> Klaus Kinski as whomever... Gollum, Wormtongue, an orc, Saruman... *shivers*. The best Dracula ever. His insane glare, the cholerical outbursts of violence... <p><h6>Ah, listen to them... the children of the night... what sweet music they make...</h6></p>