The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Who/What is Gothmog?

Gothmog was mentioned in one line from the book ROTK. And it never explained how he looked, or really who he was. Just basically he was 2nd in command of Sauron's army, behind the Witch King. So I ask what lets say "race" do you think Gothmog is?

I've heard many things about how Gothmog could be one of the Ringwraiths, maybe some twisted demented orc or troll. Neither of these I agree with, I'm not sure why but I just dont think Gothmog is a Ringwraith but he could be. And Sauron would have never trusted an orc to be 2nd in command of his army.

To me, Gothmog comes out as a person, sort of like The Mouth of Sauron. The Mouth of Sauron (MOS) was said to be a black Numenorean who was taken in by Sauron and learned much from Sauron, basically necromancy, spells...etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gothmog was similar in some reguards, a person taken in by Sauron, twisted in a way, and became 2nd in command. But the name Gothmog really doesnt sound like a name that would be given to a man. So what are your thoughts?
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Search results on "Gothmog".
Old 06-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
A search on "Gothmog" yields up several threads dedicated to the discussion of who or what the Lieutenant of Minas Morgul actually is. The basic conclusion of all the threads seems to be that there can be no conclusion - Tolkien did not deem Gothmog important enough to assign him a race or a background.

Edit: Cross-posting, Saucie.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

I've always believed that Gothmog was, as Boromir88 said, a Black Númenórean. As for the name...well, it said in the books that the Mouth of Sauron had been in Sauron's service for so long he had forgotten his real name, so, if Gothmog is of his kin, the same thing has probably happened. My guess is that Gothmog was a name given to the Lieutenant of Morgul, as a sign of prestige and power - rather like the battering-ram used against Minas Tirith being called Grond.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

PaleStar has just left Hobbiton.
Hm...I may be thinking of the wrong thing but..I thought Gothmog was the Lord Of The Balrogs...or is that completely the wrong person?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
That was one Gothmog, but there was also another. He's mentioned in RotK, when the Witch-King has fallen, as the second commander of Morgul's armies.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Hmm...interesting. I always thought of Gothmog as an orc. Although pink and deformed, if you look around his eyes, mouth, and other parts of his body, you can see a blackness. The same blackness found in the complexion of orcs. I, personally, thought he was a very powerful orc (maybe an Uruk) who killed either a bunch of humans, or pigs (or other pink livestock) and woar it during war. But then, that's just me...
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

And that's also the movie version.
He commanded the Morgul host all the way from Osgiliath, in the books WK led the army until he died.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Yes, well, I trust the movie...in some cases. Anyways, what does that have to do with commanding orc armies until he dies. Did I say something that contradicts that fact?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:51 AM   #10
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
White-Hand Here we go again

The films are not the books. Even if they had followed the details of the books in every way, they would still not answer questions like this, because they are just a visual interpretation of Tolkien's writing. Only J.R.R. Tolkien, as Gothmog's inventor, could say for certain who or what he was supposed to be. Learned speculation based on things that Tolkien did say is acceptable, but to use the films to support that speculation, when we know that they don't even follow the plot of his book, is as ridiculous as using one of our RPGs to do so; more so in my opinion. I think that NightKnight was pointing out an inconsistency between the book and the film to demonstrate just why the films shouldn't be used to explain the books.

This part of the forum is for in-depth discussions of Tolkien's writing. I'm sure that they're interested in speculation about film-Gothmog's race over in Movies, but it just doesn't belong here.

Why am I even arguing this? The whole thread's in the wrong place and redundant, so I don't expect that it'll be open for long.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:39 AM   #11
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

That was exactly my point, Squatter.