The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Movie meets books

heres an interesting idea i thought of while looking for LOTR audio books , what if the cast from the lotr were to read the book word for word with PJ as narator(or someone else if you'd prefer and all the actors play their roles?

then it would have the magic of the movie with the accuracy of the books. And who would you choose to play charactors such as tom bombadil and goldberry?

also: I wasnt sure if this belonged in books or movies...
Old 06-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Such a project would never be undertaken, because it would cost a lot to have the whole cast back, & because its marketability would be questionable. I don't know if I would like to listen to the cast of the Lord of the Rings movie, since it would create too close of a connection between the books and movies - things that, while I like both, I generally like to keep separate.

On a lighter note: Peter Jackson as narrator? Are you crazy?
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Yes, it would be a very expencive project but I think that there could be a gap in the markets for that kind of audio book. Personally I'm not so much into audio books but I think that all the cast members have nice voices with ability of expressing feelings etc. It's a better option than a one person trying to imitate all the dozens of characters in the book.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

i just thought this to be an interesting thought, and also a lot of tolien purists say the movie is to far from the bboks so this would bridge that gap while still being exciting and yes i think peter jackson would be a bad narrator he was just first to come to mind i think the guy who plays Proffesor Snape in Harry Potter (I can't remember his name" I think he would make a good narrarator especialy in the more synical parts of the books.

Who would make a good Tom Bombadil?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:31 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Morsul,

I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but you do know there's an unabridged audio version of LOTR currently out there? They also repackaged it recently to 'tie in' to the movie (ie the've got a picture of the movie fellowship across the cover of the box).

it's about 54 hours long and probably costs at least a hundred quid. I have to admit I haven't got it, but it's on my list of things to buy. I believe it's just one blooke reading the whole book, but I may be wrong.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A reading of one's own

On the other hand, rather than waiting for producers and marketeers to come up with an audio tape, you could create readings yourself.

Some of us did that a year ago last winter in a Yahoo group chat. We choose a chapter and assigned/volunteered/dragooned various people to read parts, along with a role for the narrator. Some chapters lend themselves better than others to this, depending on the particular mix of dialogue and narrative. We didn't do the entire book, just several chapters over a few bleak winter Sundays. Still, it was a hoot and we discovered just who amongst us are closet ham actors.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bethberry,

Something like that would indeed be fun! Unfortunately, however, my need is more immediate. I spend so much time in my car shlepping kids in the summer that I have decided to invest in several audio books for those times when it's just too hot to read or write or do anything requiring physical activity. (I live in Houston where the weather resembles that of Harad!)

Essex - The person who narrates the unabridged version of LotR is Rob Inglis (if my spelling is right!). I have seen the entire CD set go on e-bay for about $50, which is still not cheap. The alternative is to get the books one at a time. This costs more in postage, but at least you can spread out the bills. If you're patient, you can pick up the individual books for about $20 each. If you try for cassettes instead of CDs, you can sometimes get it for even less. The alternative is to try your public library: mine has a long waiting list.

I am most interested in getting hold of the unabridged Silmarillion, which seems to go for $25-30 used.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 06-08-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

I personally don't like audio books too much unless it is short stories.

I like to read my books because to me certain characters sound a certain way and if I listen to an audio book it might ruin it for me.

The book being read by the cast, that would be cool if money wasn't the issue.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:13 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
What part would PJ play?

PJ would be more fit for Forlong if they ever did an audio of the book with the actors. I thought it would have been better to see PJ playing Forlong as a cameo role instead of being the captain on the corsair ship.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
PJ would be more fit for Forlong if they ever did an audio of the book with the actors. I thought it would have been better to see PJ playing Forlong as a cameo role instead of being the captain on the corsair ship.
Maybe Forlong required to much actual acting .

I think it'd be cool to be able to get the audio books with all the characters from the movie voicing it over, but I agree with what's been said earlier. Most likely we'll never see it because it'd be to expensive. :/
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:55 AM   #11
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

But they don't all need to be in the same room at the same time to do it. And with the wonders of modern technology if they DO need to be present together they can 'conference' in.

I'm sure if jackson could be bothered he could talk most of the guys into doing it. It needn't be too expensive, just sit them in a recording studio for a few days. And to be honest, most of the work would be done by a narrator who he could get cheap.

Anyway, jackson is too busy for the next few years, so someone else will have to do it. Mr Sibley, perhaps? I'm sure he's met most of the actors during his time writing the movie tie in books, and he's got experience from the BBC audio adaptation.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question I have an idea what if.....lets see if I can explain this...

Ok I propose we read the book as the various charactors and narrator.

What I mean is if someone has A) the time B) patience C) wants to be in charge(director if you will) Can recieved Audio recordings of us auditioning for the part we want. So lets say I wanted to be Treebeard I would record a few lines of dialogue and send it to this person this person would then choose who best fits which role including the narrator. and then sends those people letters saying what part they have. so then we record ALL of their dialogue and send it to someone who can mix audio to sort it out into order. The audio book could then be distrubuted among the downers for a fee to cover A) the expenses of making the compelation and also to give a little to the person for their time...(the actors would do it just for fun.

did that make sense at all?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark

What I mean is if someone has A) the time B) patience C) wants to be in charge(director if you will) Can recieved Audio recordings of us auditioning for the part we want. So lets say I wanted to be Treebeard I would record a few lines of dialogue and send it to this person this person would then choose who best fits which role including the narrator. and then sends those people letters saying what part they have. so then we record ALL of their dialogue and send it to someone who can mix audio to sort it out into order. The audio book could then be distrubuted among the downers for a fee to cover A) the expenses of making the compelation and also to give a little to the person for their time...(the actors would do it just for fun.

Well, can I volunteer for the job? I rather it not be paid (or to be paid for the actors as well) as I'm a busy man, but the idea sounds mightly exciting and I really like music and sounds. I would Really love to do it, with the blessing of the rest of the bd comunity

Edit: I was in a hurry so I am not sure I was clear enough... I want to volunteer to be the "director" of sorts.

Last edited by Farael; 03-13-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #14
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

Legally I'm not sure this can be done though. Copyright reasons, etc.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Legally I'm not sure this can be done though. Copyright reasons, etc.
Well, if it's not for money it should be possible to do it... we are just a group of fans having fun, I'm not sure it'd be forbidden for us to read the story to each other =)
Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
If it's to be a private project, it would be a good idea to organize it on a private site elsewhere. This public forum could get difficulties if copyright issues are involved.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Well, if it's not for money it should be possible to do it... we are just a group of fans having fun, I'm not sure it'd be forbidden for us to read the story to each other ...
Even where it is not for profit, a public performance of a work can infringe copyright, under UK law at least. Distribution of the recording to Downs members would most likely consitute a public performance. I would therefore endorse Estelyn's advice.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Even where it is not for profit, a public performance of a work can infringe copyright, under UK law at least. Distribution of the recording to Downs members would most likely consitute a public performance. I would therefore endorse Estelyn's advice.
Hmm, wish I was a lawyer and not a pre-med student Now, what if a group of friends (or people who happened to meet on the 'downs) decided to do it for their own interest? and not distribute it through a public medium such as the barrow downs. Would that be legal?

Edit: I'm not trying to circumvent (spelling?) the law, but the making of such audio book would be worth it by itself, even if it's never to become the new LoTR craze.

Last edited by Farael; 03-14-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Would that be legal?
Well, I should make clear that I am not an expert in intellectual property law. But my understanding (not advice ) is that, if the performance is for private use only, there would be no copyright issue under UK law. The law in the US and other countries might be different, though.

In any event, if you are to do this, I would suggest that it be organised privately, rather than publicly on the Barrow-Downs.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Well, I should make clear that I am not an expert in intellectual property law. But my understanding (not advice ) is that, if the performance is for private use only, there would be no copyright issue under UK law. The law in the US and other countries might be different, though.

In any event, if you are to do this, I would suggest that it be organised privately, rather than publicly on the Barrow-Downs.
I wouldn't mind making it my personal pet project.... if I knew where to find as commited tolkien fans as we have in here! I'd gladly open up a free forum but it'd take me years to gather the kind of people that visit the 'downs.... would it be ok if I opened a thread asking for volunteers to help with the recording? I don't think it can be done any other way....

Edit: Note to self: don't try to discuss something important while writing a lab report... you are bound to forget half of what you want to say.

Anyway, on second thought it should be The Barrow Wight choice to allow (or not) such thread.... but if you don't mind, you could comment on the legal side (as far as your understanding goes) of such thread

Last edited by Farael; 03-14-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I would suggest that volunteers contact you by PM. Then you can pass on information on a private forum by giving those who want to be involved the URL of that forum - or perhaps a private chat room.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
I would suggest that volunteers contact you by PM. Then you can pass on information on a private forum by giving those who want to be involved the URL of that forum - or perhaps a private chat room.
But how can I get volunteers if I don't make a public announcement in the forum?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You already have, right here. If anyone is interested, they should contact you by PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I'm no expert either, but there has been a growing fight in the US over copyright, especially dealing with the internet. With the internet you can download music, movies, books...etc and since government has very minor part of their hands in the internet it's hard to regulate. Several authors like Ray Bradbury are filing many lawsuits on broken copyright laws. Of course this is dealing with the distribution out to the public, not private use. So, it may very well be the same.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

honestly the thought never crossed my mind at all when i thought up the project....what if we write the Tolkien society and ask them about the legalities of this project?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #26
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
it's about 54 hours long and probably costs at least a hundred quid. I have to admit I haven't got it, but it's on my list of things to buy. I believe it's just one blooke reading the whole book, but I may be wrong.
It's sweet, and though no substitute for the books, it at least provides me with a fix. And Inglis does an excellent job with the different voices and characters, though as an 'Merican I have no ear for proper accents and all . Received it as a present before the movies, and so think that it ran about $60.

Also have the Sil on cassette somewhere (lost in the move) which is pretty much useless as I don't think that even the kids have a working tape player. Have the Hobbit (theatrical) on CD too, but that's not as fun. A single reader without sound effects to me is better than the multi-cast pan-banging variety.

Anyway, if you have a long commute, the audio books are worth it, and though a "privately organized" version may be cheaper and more fun, shouldn't we also support those who support good literature?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #27
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
It's sweet, and though no substitute for the books, it at least provides me with a fix. And Inglis does an excellent job with the different voices and characters, though as an 'Merican I have no ear for proper accents and all . Received it as a present before the movies, and so think that it ran about $60.

Also have the Sil on cassette somewhere (lost in the move) which is pretty much useless as I don't think that even the kids have a working tape player. Have the Hobbit (theatrical) on CD too, but that's not as fun. A single reader without sound effects to me is better than the multi-cast pan-banging variety.

Anyway, if you have a long commute, the audio books are worth it, and though a "privately organized" version may be cheaper and more fun, shouldn't we also support those who support good literature?
almost sounds like your insulting my idea
(kidding)
actually I like the hobbit and lotr dramatized cd versions
thats why i wanted to do this being a fan i love the book but reading it is just too wearisomee hearin it is easier and i personally absorb more because im not skipping the songs or paragraphs here and there to just get to the finish
Old 03-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #28
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
almost sounds like your insulting my idea
(kidding)
Nope. I'd never do that. We once tried to film our own version (back in the day of cave drawings ), and so can understand your zeal.

Quote:
actually I like the hobbit and lotr dramatized cd versions
thats why i wanted to do this being a fan i love the book but reading it is just too wearisomee hearin it is easier and i personally absorb more because im not skipping the songs or paragraphs here and there to just get to the finish
I think that the audio versions enhance the books as you sometimes remember more after hearing text more than when you've just read it. Plus, if you listen to the books 24/7, then quoting them is much easier, and surely we all aspire to that.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #29
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
It would be pretty good.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote