The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
Banazīr
Pile O'Bones

Banazīr has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Shelobe not in TTT!!

"the Shelob scene occurs at the end of the Two Towers book. However, Jackson has chosen to push it back to the beginning of The Return of the King. One of the reasons for this is that the scenes between Sam, Frodo, Gollum, and Faramir have been expanded, perhaps to build upon Faramir's character and tie plotlines together a little more tightly. Jackson declined to comment how The Two Towers would end, but said viewers wouldn't be disappointed.<P>I don't mind at all if they expanded characters interaction between each other, in fact it is awesome, but the way that PJ is talking about the end sounds like if it will be a utterly unexpected end, and to me it means another big change...indeed only the fact that Shelob will be removed at the beginning of ROTK instead of end of TTT is a huge change, but then what kind of other end could make viewers really happy and not disapointed that could be done??..I can't see any other end then Frodo's "death". <BR>Will it end in the stairs of Cirith Ungol? Gollum clutching at Sam running behind a crazy Frodo? It surely cannot end this way, then it means another revision, isn't it?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:41 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Ype, sounds like it. I personally don't mind such changes, as long as the spirit remains. And as for Shelob in general...Maybe it's a good idea she's being pushed back to RotK. Maybe by then I will be mature enough not to freak out at the sight of her.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:47 PM   #3
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm...I wonder. I think it is the most obvious thing in the world, to make the Shelob scene the cliffhanger. I guess PJ doesn't want to be obvious. The next best place to leave Frodo and Sam, I guess, is just as they leave the crossroads and enter into Morgul Vale. Then there is Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas on the Paths of the Dead. If PJ holds to form, he won't do that as a flashback as it was when they are talking to Merry and Pip in the Houses of Healing. So, we may see that. Finally, there is the scene where the winged Nazgul approaches Isengard just after Pip looks into the Palantir. No one has asked PJ about the <I>Wraiths on Wings</I> making their appearance in TTT that I am aware of. Even Gandalf and Pip racing toward Minas Tirith would work, so I don't necessarily think that the actual closing scenes need be improvised.<p>[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, I'm very interested in how PJ's going to pull this off.<P>I've been thinking about starting a thread along these lines...<P>It makes sense actually. In the Two Towers there are two climaxes:<BR>1 - Helm's Deep (and it's after-effect, the breaking of the staff of Saruman)<BR>2 - Shelob's lair.<P>Ah... PJ's solved a major cinematic problem, which is the Two Towers is really two books, not one. <P>He's chosen to focus the story on one of the 'Two Towers', Orthanc, and the defeat of Saruman.<P>The wild action-adventure in Rohan will be balanced by cutaways to disturbing/thoughtful scenes in Emyn Muil and Ithilien.<P>Very good. That will give us time to get to know Frodo, Sam and Gollum very, very well. And build up the power of the ring so it's not lost in the flood of events. Very important. Otherwise what happens at Orodruin will make no sense.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi Lush, Glenathor... seems we were all posting at once.<P>Glen, I've wondered about whether I'd do Frodo's 'death' as a cliffhanger. In another thread I decided I'd be against it, too melodramatic. Also, Frodo's 'return' would be pretty near the beginning of the next movie, so rather than being a dramatic entrance, it would feel like a practical joke on the audience. Then there's the length of time between the second movie's release and the last. Waiting one week after a cliffhanger is bad enough. A year??? I'd launch a posse to tar and feather him.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:09 PM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Yesss, we will get to know Sam, Frodo, Gollum, and FARAMIR. My prrrrrecious. <BR>Great points, Maril! And good luck to PJ.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:41 PM   #7
Glenethor
Wight

Sting

Mari,<P>Well, I'd have it go just a bit further, when Frodo is being carried off and Shagrat (I think it's Shagrat) tells the other orc (Gorbag?) that Shelob hadn't actually killed Frodo...and then show the Choices of Master Samwise...That <I>seems</I> to be the obvious choice. The audience will know Frodo is alive but captive, and that Sam intends to 'keep his promise' by going after him. A lot of people are quite mystified about PJ's choice here. I know I am, but I think he's earned enough of my trust not to get too worried about it...yet...<P>However, the more I think of it, I think the final scene could be Frodo, Sam, and Gollum staring down at Minas Morgul as the Witchking and his hosts issue forth toward Minas Tirith. That could be preceded by Aragorn's confrontation with Sauron with the Palantir and his embarking on the POTD. Remember, I think all three remaining parties of the Fellowship have their own cliffhanger scenes, eh? PJ has options here.<P>No, if I was a betting man, I'd bet on the unleashing of Sauron's Morgul forces as the final scene.<p>[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Old 02-28-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And the last line of TTT???<P>'Who can now hold the fords when the king of the nine riders comes? I am too late, even if my errand is acheived, there will be noone I can tell. But it must be done....'<P>Or something like that anyway? What do you think?<P>Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
White-Hand

I am very excited for TTT film. I think it is part of the excitment and anticipation to see what changes and ommitons that PJ has made! I would not mind if he pushed Shelob into ROTK either. He seems to like to mix and match scenes into different books. Such as he did in FOTR when he moved Boromir's death into the end of FOTR. I have compleat faith that it will turn out well!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
Glenethor
Wight

Sting

BTW, sorta OT, but do any of you know who is going to be playing the Witch King of Angmar In RoTK? Hint: He was in the first film under different guise.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Old 02-28-2002, 12:12 PM   #11
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Question

Hummmmm! I don't know! Is it Sean Bean or maybe Marton Csokas?? Who?
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #12
Glenethor
Wight

The Eye

The guy who played Lurtz, the Uruk-Hai Chieftain in FoTR.<BR>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Old 02-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #13
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

no! they simply have to end after the shelob scene! i cant imagine it any other way!!! Thats such a good place to end: a cliff hanger. people who aint read it thinking frodo is dead, wondering how sam will cope alone, un stuff- where else could they end it? Ahhhhh no PJ this is one change u shood not make! and plus, is it really wise to start ROTK with a pure stress action scene with shelob? i dont think so....<P>aint wise to get all het up in the first 15 minutes of a movie! however, when we have all 3 on video it wont matter coz u just watch em in order anyway.
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #14
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahhh,I was about to embark on a 'damn, he cannae do that' but after reading through all the comments...yeah, moving shelob might not be a bad idea. maybe ending it with shelob closing in on frodo, or at least, the last we see of them in this film, would work, and then cutting back to ummm... *mumbles* the others....*mumbling still* can't remember what bit exactly...<P>So long's they get ya to leave the cinema going again, then i'm happy
Old 02-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #15
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Rumors, hearsay, and gossip be damned! I'm gonna go see TTT and ROTK! I really am looking forward though to seeing Legolas (commences drooling) shield surfing!
Old 03-01-2002, 05:35 PM   #16
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think I trust PJ enough to know that whatever he does, it'll be good. He really did a good job on the first movie, and he is a professional director, so it'll be good.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 04:56 PM   #17
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!<BR>I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!<BR>HOW COULD PETE DO SUCH A THING!!!<BR> <BR> It would have been the perfect cliffhanger if half the audiance thought Frodo was dead for a year. And PJ has to ruin that. Plus Shelob is a great climax for the second movie! Plus Gollum's betrayal is an important part! <BR>AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<B R>*TAKES A DEEP BREATH*<P>Are you sure this is a definite change?!
Old 03-02-2002, 07:36 PM   #18
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I really am looking forward though to seeing Legolas (commences drooling) shield surfing! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oh I agree Aralaithiel. They picked the perfect actor to play Legolas. Orlando Bloom is soo cute!<P>But getting to the subject, I would not be surprised if PJ really did move the shelob scene like he moved the part where Boromir died in the Fellowship. I don't care though, I'm just happy that they made LOTR into a trilogy and not one single two hour movie like they were originally going to do.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:08 AM   #19
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know...my first thought was "No! It's one of the best scenes in the book!" But what with Helm's Deep and the storming of Isengard there's an awful lot going on already; the scene with Shelob might just seem like piling on the action too much (Come on, you know Peter Jackson isn't going to be exactly glossing over the battle scenes ) - under those circumstances Shelob be more effective if saved for the last movie.<P>The really unfortunate thing is that ending the movie with Frodo being alive but taken by enemy would be an incredible emotional punch - sort of like the ending of "The Empire Strikes Back" times about 300. Sam would hear the Orcs saying that Frodo is alive, chase them, hurl himself against the gates too late - wham, end of movie. On the whole, I'm optimistic. Before FOTR came out I was feeling kind of dubious but ended up loving the movie - the changes just worked, somehow. With any luck that will hold true for the next two as well.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:04 AM   #20
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It can't be true!!!! PJ, you have just lost a friend..
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote