The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Extended DVD extras-Spoilers

Here's somthing from theonering.net about TTT Extended DVD. <A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-06-11-rings_x.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-06-11-rings_x.htm</A> <P>I must say that I'm very exited!
Old 06-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am too There was so much cut material in the theatrical trailer that I hadn't noticed until now. I can't wait to see it all. Especially the scene with Denethor
Old 06-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't wait for the stew part! And the funeral dirge. And the drowsy hobbits. And the ent-draught. And the drunken Gondorians. And the...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The scenes also help explain why the noble Faramir is rather rude when he meets heroic hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Do I sence a Faramir redemption?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<P>Yay! I can't wait for the extended version!!! New Boromir scenes, more stuff with Merry and Pippin (who were woefully overlooked in the theatrical version), and a Faramir redemption scene! RIGHT ON!!!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Do I sence a Faramir redemption? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>In another thread I was trying to guess at this. It obviously is in reference to the Boromir/Faramir/Denethor flashback. My guess is Denethor saying something to the effect, "Whatever Isildur's Bane me be, it belongs to Gondor and you are to do what you can to bring it here."<P>H.C.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:35 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The only thing that they could do to redeem Faramir for me is to remove the whole going to Osgiliath thing (but that is another topic )<P>The part that I really can wait for is the whole extended Theodred funeral scene. Because this is one part of TTT that I thought could have really been improved on in the theatrical version. I personally think that it was so brief that some uneducated viewers did not really understand what was going on. So it is wonderful that they are going to explain it more.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

i'm agree with Gorwingel!<BR>it's funny that "the tale of theodred" isn't told better in the book though fans will find the story easily if they want to...<BR>wish the releasing date would come soon.can wate but it's tough <BR>tell me more!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
Katie-lyn

OMG! I can't wait *dances around happily* I loved the ents and wished there was more init...Oh I so Cited! Yay!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> it's funny that "the tale of theodred" isn't told better in the book though fans will find the story easily if they want to...<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Remember that one of the ideas of LotR (the book) is that you are reading a translation of The Red Book of Westmarch which is mostly written by Bilbo, Frodo and Sam. That is why the book is almost exclusively written from the hobbits' perspective. <P>I think Tolkien tried to keep to a minimum getting away from the hobbits but I guess couldn't avoid it all together once Merry and Pippin got seperated from the rest of the Fellowship for a time. One can imagine Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli telling the stories of what happened during that time and the hobbits writting it down second hand, but the death of Theodred, where no Fellowship members were present, was too far removed for Tolkien to put into LotR.<P>It excites and surprises me that Jackson was willing to shoot this material at all as the only written account that I know of is in Unfinished Tales. I'm curious if any of the material from that will find it's way into the film.<P>H.C.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Whatever Isildur's Bane me be, it belongs to Gondor and you are to do what you can to bring it here."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The only problem with a quote such as this is that it then begs the question, 'Why would not the throne of GOndor not belong to Isuldur's heir if 'Isuldur's Bane belongs to the rulers of Gondor?<P>Not that such a matter would trouble PJ much
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

You are arguing that Denethor is capable of a rational argument at this stage. The character can rationalize anything he wants.<P>H.C.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Tolkien wrote Denethor as savvier and wiser [in the ways of the world] than the qoute above gives him credit for.<P>HE may have indeed thought it but he would not express it so. Indeed he does express himself differently when Faramir asks him if he has done ill upon returning on the eve of the Battle of Pellenor Fields.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

You mean this?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Ill?" cried Denethor, and his eyes flashed suddenly. "Why do you ask? The men were under your command. Or do you ask for my judgement on all your deeds? Your bearing is lowly in my presence, yet it is long now since you turned from your own way at my counsel. See, you have spoken skilfully, as ever; but I, have I not seen your eye fixed on Mithrandir, seeking whether you said well or too much? He has long had your heart in his keeping.<P>"My son, your father is old but not yet dotard. I can see and hear, as was my wont; and little of what you have half said or left unsaid is now hidden from me. I know the answer to many riddles. Alas, alas for Boromir!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is hardly approval of Faramir's deeds. It is a strong insinuation that Faramir cares more of the opinions of Gandalf than anything that his father might think.<P>Theoden definately argues that the Ring should be in Minas Tirith for safe keeping rather than be sent to the Cracks of Doom with a couple of Halflings. He argues this quite forcefully with Gandalf, and this is after he knows exactly what Isildur's Bane is where, in the scene we are all guessing about, he could only have the faintest inkling.<P>Now, those hypothesized words I put in Denethor's mouth may be coming out a little too forcefully. I think it would be more effective if it was actually just a casual comment directed towards the departing Boromir but overheard by Faramir. More about solving a mystery than about securing power. Wouldn't that be tragic? A few casual words by a father secure the fates of both his sons.<P>Of course, we are just guessing here based upon a few words in a newspaper article and could easily be way off the mark. If anyone else has ideas as to what this reporter might have been refering to when he said that Faramir being mean to the hobbits is explained, I for one would love to hear it, but please, let's keep this from turning into just another thread whinning about perceived shortcomings in the film.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 06-20-2003, 08:30 PM   #15
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Check out the cover art for the TTT Extended DVD.<P><A HREF="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009TB5G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg" TARGET=_blank>TTT Extended DVD cover art.</A><P>Instead of being green like FotR, its Red. I think RotK may be Purple, like the paperback editions of the book.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:09 AM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I can't wait for the stew debacle! That is just so Eowyn!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 PM   #17
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

GAH! GAH! GAH! GAH!!!!! WE WANTS IT MY PRECIOUS, WE WANTS IT NOW!!!!!!! November 18 is soooooo far away!!! Finally, a Faramir redemption! (hey, Meela, Denethor's in there!) And they put the Ent-draughts back in too! I think I'm going to die. This should be AWESOME!!!! WOHOO!!! I don't know whether to shout in supreme bliss or cry tears of joy.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:07 AM   #18
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The most surprising revelation in the longer Two Towers? That hale-and-hunksome Aragorn is 87 years old. Maybe it's something in that stew.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I wonder how they're going to do this? In talks with Eowyn I guess. Doesn't he say something about having been in Rohan before she was born?<P>I can't wait for the Ent draughts. They cut Merry and Pippin down so much in the "theatrical version" (that's the term, isn't it?)<p>[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:21 AM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Doesn't he say something about having been in Rohan before she was born? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Didn't he serve Theoden's father Thengel, disguised as Thorongil for a time? In his twenties or thereabouts?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #20
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I know it didn't say anything about it in this article but from pictures I have seen I think there is supposed to be more stuff with Arwen and Elrond unless they are ROTK pics that escaped to the net early.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:09 PM   #21
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That cover art is so pretty! I started to stroke the screen and mumble, "Preciouss..."
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:23 AM   #22
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...but from pictures I have seen I think there is supposed to be more stuff with Arwen and Elrond...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*shudders* Oh, I hope not. I've had quite enough of those two little elves in Towers to last me a while, thank you. No more is needed; if Arwen shows up again I may scream.<P>Abedithon le,<P>Aranel
Old 07-02-2003, 02:00 PM   #23
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I just want to see the movie again! I only got to see it once. My dh is laughing at me because I fully intend to buy both editions - the theatrical version, so I can watch it again (and show it to the kids for the first time) and the extended edition, so I can enjoy all the extras. When I get the extended version, I'll give the theatrical version to my mother.<BR>I just wish I could have gotten the FOTR collector's box set with the bookends, but there wasn't any way I could justify the expense. I did, however, manage to talk dh into buying us a widescreen projection TV last year, just in time for the FOTR extended edition dvd release, (it was our Christmas/Birthday present to ourselves).
Old 07-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #24
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Well I like Arwen and Elrond and I hope I see more of them. The scene with them in TTT is not in the book itself but there is something very similar in the Apendixes as well as the scene with Elrond and Aragorn. Some think that the Apendixes are not important enoungh to be in the movie but I do, otherwise many questions go unanswered. Just for some weird reason PJ decided to place them in the movie at different points and I am pleased with his choices.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #25
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!! <BR>Sorry but my internet connection broke and it's been a really long time since I've been here.<P>I'll bet you didn't even miss me "Sniff"<P>Ok now that i've got that out of my system.<BR>So more about the Eadigs, excellent. I can only hope that the funeral song will be in Anglo-Saxon. I was a bit peeved about it being left out of TT to such an extent. I mean one line by Gandalf. Bah

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #26
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think RotK may be Purple, like the paperback editions of the book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was actually hoping it'd be blue. To me that is a much more royal, Elessar-ish colour.<P>But in the middle ages purple was the color of royalty so you're probably right.. too bad.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:40 PM   #27
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Yeah, probably purple.<P>But wait: Fellowship was in green, and all the books I have have that book in orange...... So maybe RotK will be blue. It could go either way, I guess....<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 07-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #28
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Whoa, they changed the DVD cover art for TTT. Last time I checked it was red and now it is golden brown.<P>I think that the ROTK extended DVD might be a sort of burgundy color. Just an idea I had after seeing the color of Aragorn's clothing in the teaser poster. <P>Of course, we'll probably figure out what color the DVD will be once we see the theatrical poster.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:26 AM   #29
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmm Regarding Faramir and his shortness with the hobbits they may just mean that they show him in some sort of battle or something and that he is extemely weary, or like you all have been disgussing it may be some deep phsychological scaring of his fathers doing, we may guess until we are blue in the face but we'll all have to wait until nov. 29.(?). hmm can't wait
Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #30
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

ah! thank you! Now I am all excited, I'll never be able to wait that long for it! Four hours, though. Oh my! hehe It's worth it though.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote