The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question The LOTR Scenery

How good a job did Peter Jackson do on the scenery for all of the sites so far in the Lord of the Rings movies from The Fellowship of the Ring to The Two Towers. Please list all the ones you feel like and rate them according to the scale of 1-10, 1 being Awesome! and 10 being absolutely horrible.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Ahh I see you go against the more common 10 being highest, but no matter.<P>Well I think PJ and Weta did an awesome job. Perhaps the best possible with there time and money constraints, but I feel that if I give it a 1 then later on another movie will top it. I think there is always room for improvement so I give Them a 2.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I say 2 also. I would like to say one, but after further consideration I was going to give it a three. I chose three because there are somethings I don't think was accurate. One is Moria, with the geometrical thing Alan Lee was going for. Although, that was not PJ's idea. Then I moved it to two because of the way they improvised, which was really outstanding, even if it isn't real.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 05:26 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Edoras was superb. Top marks. Same for Helms Deep, Osgiliath, Minas Tirith, and oh.... everything!
Old 06-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I give it a 1. When I watch the movie I'm always amazed at how truely awesome all the scenery looks. I think they did a great job.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #6
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually one of my favorite things about the movies, maybe the best thing about them, is the way Middle Earth is brought to live. Of course the way PJ depicts it isn't necessarily the same way I have when I've been reading the books. In fact, there are a lot of differences - but the movies works beautifully in this respect, & I'm perfectly willing to accept PJ's alternative version (alternative from my own, I mean!).<P>I think I'll cheat & give it 1½!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
Sindalomewen36

Sting

one! The BEST definately!! Didn't u envy the actors for being there? in the on-site visits i mean. I would LOVE to go to New Zeland!! go bunge jumpin, mountin climing, ect.!!!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #8
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Pipe

I thought about it, and I read others' replies, and I think I'm going to say two and a half. <P>I wanted to say two, but to me, Lothlorien was not trully enchanting, and it was far too bright. Wasn't anything like I pictured in the books. Then I think of the entrance to Fangorn, and that could've been so much better. <P>But then, I look at Rivendell, and I'm blown away. I think of Helm's deep, and it *feels* right. So, a two and a half from me.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is weird to have "1" mean the best! <P>The Shire...1.. I found it beautiful and awesome!<P>Bree....5.. I liked what bit I saw, there just needed to be more of it!<P>Rivendell...5.. It was very pretty, but it seemed a little cool and stiff for me, not enough "homeliness" and people running about.<P>Caradthras...2..Cold, cruel, high and lonesome!<P>Moria...1.. It was awesome!<P>Lothlorien...7..I was disappointed, it wasn't beautiful or mystical enough. I didn't connect with it (the glory of nature and trees)like I did when I read the book.<P>The great river...1..It was very well done, better than I imagined!<P>Rohan...3..It was fine<P>Fangorn...6.. too dark! Digitally remixed in a boring monotone!<P>Edoras...1..Awesome again!<P>Helms Deep...1..Wonderful! The glitering caves were glittering too!<P>Dead marshes...3..pretty great, probably a little too attractive, too bad we couldn't smell them! <P>Black Gate...2..Huge and scary<P>Orthanc...1.. I loved the chamber room with the lines on the floor, vey mystic!<P>Enough! <p>[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 06-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For FotR, I would have to say a 2. I loved the Shire, Orthanc, Rivendell, Moria, Caradhras, Amon Hen, Amon Sul, the Anduin, the Argonath...you get the picture. The thing for me as well was Lothlorien. It wasn't supposed to be all <I>blue</I> and <I>grey</I> in Caras Galadhon! It was supposed to be <I>golden!</I> GOLDEN!<P>In TTT, I have to give it a 1. The scenery, Edoras, Helm's Deep gave me shivers! Emyn Muil, Osgiliath, everything! I loved the way the camera panned off Eowyn while she was standing on the 'porch' of Meduseld, with the wind blowing wildly and such. Simply fantastic.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #11
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I think that the Shire was great... also 1 but I got a nice picture of Bree when I read the book- in the film it was too unfriendly. Men were rude to hobbits but it was described to be a place where hobbits and men live in harmony! That makes it 5. I liked Rivendell very much though it didn't look like anyone's home (compare the film to the description given in the Hobbit). I'd give 2. the Orthanc IS awesome... can't believe that the Numenorians built it. Moria is great...dark but great...2. Lothlorien could have been more faithfull to the book. It would have been great to see the golden leaves still gets 3 (and the thing with the gifts- I mean Sam gets a rope?! *huh*) but great job! Can't wait RotK!

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Having a sweeping party... Quite embarrassing to read your own newbie posts. I don't have a clue what I was trying to say...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think just about all of the locations in the movie were great. Even Lothlorien! I might be just about the only one, but I always imagined Caras Galadhon as a place of pure light, with Galadriel as the center of it. I liked the way that it was in the movie.<P>I think that Rivendell was the best location in the entire movie. I loved the effect of perpetual autumn that it was in. It just seemed so...right.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #13
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think all the scenery was awesome and would give it a 2 overall, except for these things.<BR>Fangorn, in TTT didn't really work for me. It looked a bit fake, like when you prodded a tree it would spring back like rubber. <BR>Lothlorien wasn't fair and golden enough for me. We want the mallorn!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 PM   #14
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The shire and Orthanc alone were enough to earn fotr a "1"! I'm soooo glad they chose Alan Lee's Orthanc designs just supurb! As for TTT I give it a "2". Mostly because of Fangorn it looked a little fake and too few trees!
Old 06-17-2003, 12:11 PM   #15
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd give it all a 1 and a half, because the woods of Lothlorien just didn't catch my eye. It wasn't golden enough. <P>Everything else was just as I had imagined it. Wow.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #16
Sea Tiger
Newly Deceased

Sea Tiger has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I give it a 1!<BR>But then again I saw the movie before I read the <BR>books so I pictured it how I saw in the movie. Just with more people. But still I don't care about descriptions I picture it my way.<BR>Anybody got a problem with that?!<BR>No? Good.
Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote