The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Me Arwen. You Jane.

Okay. I think I found a mistake in the movie's Elvish translation, but I'm not sure and I was hoping someone could help me clear this up.<P>When we first (unfortunatly ) meet Arwen, she introduces herself to Frodo by saying in Sindarin, "Im Arwen" which the subtitles tell us means "I am Arwen." Now, I'm still a beginner in Sindarin, but I thought that "Im" was translated as "I"<P>Isn't "I am" "Non" in Sindarin? I think Arwen is saying "I Arwen" rather than "I am Arwen" ... Or is my translation wrong? If I'm correct, Arwen really needs some grammer lessons
Old 09-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #2
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

This is the exact translation that is given at the <A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie.htm" TARGET=_blank>Elvish Language and Literature</A> website:<P><I>Arwen</I>: Frodo, im Arwen. Telin le thaed. Lasto beth nīn, tolo dan nan galad.<P>Arwen: '<B>I am Arwen - I've come to help you. Hear my voice... Come back to the light.</B>' [lit. 'Frodo, I [am] Arwen. I come to help you. Listen to my word, come back to [the] light.'] <P>im <I>pron</I>. 'I'. <P>telin <I>v</I>. 'I come; I have come'; cf. <B>tol</B>- 'come'.<P>le <I>pron</I>. 'you'.<P>thaed <I>inf</I>. 'to help'; derivative of *<B>STA</B>- 'help'. <P>lasto <I>v</I>. <I>imp</I>. 'listen'.<P>beth <I>n</I>. 'word; *voice'; <A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/sindarin_phonetics.htm#soft" TARGET=_blank>lenited</A> form of <B>peth</B>. <P>nīn <I>pron</I>. 'my'. <P>tolo <I>v</I>. <I>imp</I>. 'come'. <P>dan <I>adv</I>. 'back'.<P>nan <I>adv</I>. 'to the'; it is derived from <B>na</B> 'to, towards' + <B>i(n)</B> 'the'<P>galad <I>n</I>. 'light'; <A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/sindarin_phonetics.htm#soft" TARGET=_blank>lenited</A> form of <B>calad</B> 'light'.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Ooo! Thanks for that! What a nice page... *adds to favorites* This could come in very handy...