The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3401
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think it's only appropriate to welcome our mass-poster back with such a flood of posts. (Although, I must say the SPM-level quality is still missing. )

Anyway, glad to see you're back, Saucie.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #3402
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
I'm not really new... but I did use to be online on the chat more and for many years to count not even that... was wondering if there's anyone here still remember ol' me...

Otherwise I'm from Bulgaria, got my education in Germany. Nice to meet you.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #3403
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkgirl View Post
I'm not really new... but I did use to be online on the chat more and for many years to count not even that... was wondering if there's anyone here still remember ol' me...

Otherwise I'm from Bulgaria, got my education in Germany. Nice to meet you.
Sorry Yu may have been before me or My memory stinks but at any rate YAY Someone who isn't a spambot!!! YAY
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #3404
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

If I only had the energy of a spambot...

happy to get a better welcome tho... I guess the whole tolkien business did die these days... not the best example myself I must admit
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #3405
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hi there Mirkgirl. I remember you from chat. There's still a few of us who carry the torch here.

Welcome back.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #3406
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Hi there Mirkgirl. I remember you from chat. There's still a few of us who carry the torch here.

Welcome back.
Spiffy, hi Bethberry How've you been doing?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #3407
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome back Mirkgirl. I remember you vaguely, if that helps. Hope to get to know you better now.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #3408
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
YAY Someone who isn't a spambot!!! YAY
Really nice for a change, isn't it? Hi Mirkgirl, pleased to meet you!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #3409
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi, Mirky! Oh my, it's been awhile! Nice to see you around again!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #3410
cisnynix

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #3411
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisnynix View Post
I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info
Please forgive my suspicion, if it is unwarranted. I have a few questions though, as your 'introduction' appears rather generic. Do you know what this forum is about? What we discuss? What do you think about the forum theme?

EDIT- Ah, banned already. It's so hard to be a spammer these days.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3412
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
They're getting more and more cunning these days. This one even introduced himself on the proper thread - and he almost sounded like "Nice Downerss, please don't ban poor Spamgol from their nice forum, we promises to be very nice, yes we doess, my precioussss!"
Kudos to the Security Forces for quick action!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #3413
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I was going to delete the spam post, but as it seems to be entertaining for the moment, I will leave it there for a short while.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #3414
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I was going to delete the spam post, but as it seems to be entertaining for the moment, I will leave it there for a short while.
I wouldn't say it was entertaining, so much as pitiful. You'd think after being banned many times they'd get the message. Surely there are other fora out there where they could post things like that with impunity. As it is, our mods and members have precious little patience with such obvious huckstering.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #3415
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
As it is, our mods and members have precious little patience with such obvious huckstering.
Nah. I'm just trying to up my post count...

Giving infractions do count, don't they?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #3416
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
Back again! Evening all.
Saucie??? SAUCIE?????

And there was dancing on the riverbank!

Does it have something to do with Daylight Savings TIme...?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #3417
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Okay, now for the silly question. Whatsa spambot?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #3418
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
a flaming nuisance... though occasionally diverting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #3419
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Oh.

Eeew.

Mith... Flanders Fields. I love your sig.
"....And in the sky,
the larks, still bravely singing, fly
scarce heard amod the guns below."
Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #3420
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
Hi from Mugwump!

Hello, everyone. Some of you here may (or maybe not) know me by this name. My introduction to fantasy and the Tolkien world began in 1976 when I first started playing Dungeons & Dragons. Mugwump was the name of a Dwarven character from "Talwaithe," a PBM (play-by-mail) fantasy game I ran in the early 1980s, reviewed in Space Gamer magazine, issue 60 (February 1983). I met the player of this character at a gaming convention sometime later, and he looked exactly like Mugwump: short, stocky, with long red hair and beard--not actually a human dwarf, but a perfect fit for a fantasy dwarf. I lost track of him after that, but thereafter I appropriated "Mugwump" as a Dwarven character for playing FRP games.

I'm currently playing Mugwump in LotRO (Lord of the Rings Online) on the Nimrodel server. Since then, I've noticed other "Mugwumps" springing up on other servers.

But that's just a bit of trivia about the name. I've loved The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion for a long time.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #3421
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Mugwump!

I know very little about RPGing and whatnot, but I think you'll find that whatever interests you about Tolkien, this is an excellent spot for discussing it.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #3422
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Welcome to the 'Downs, Mugwump! I hope you enjoy your death.

We do have a couple or three members here who have been on LOTRO, though I don't know if any of them are currently playing. There's a thread on it here, back when it was still in beta, if you want to check it out.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #3423
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Mugwump welcome I give one simple warning once you're on the downs you can't get away... it's too addicting!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #3424
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Hi Mugwump!

And welcome! It's always "fresh" to see older people join...

I hope you enjoy your time here. Just try everything... even the stupid-looking things. They're mostly fun and at best addicting, as Morsul already witnessed.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #3425
Mugwump
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Mugwump welcome I give one simple warning once you're on the downs you can't get away... it's too addicting!
Yeah, that almost happened to Frodo and his friends, didn't it? Except Bombadil helped them get away.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #3426
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
Yeah, that almost happened to Frodo and his friends, didn't it? Except Bombadil helped them get away.
But at. What. COST??? [/Shatner]

*tries and fails to scrub images of nekkid hobbits from her brain*
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #3427
Mugwump
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Hi Mugwump!
And welcome! It's always "fresh" to see older people join...
Whom are you calling "older"? I'm quite young by Númenórean standards!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #3428
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Whom are you calling "older"?
One of them older guys...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #3429
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Welcome among the ranks of the undead, Mugwump! Hope you like it here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Just try everything... even the stupid-looking things. They're mostly fun and at best addicting, as Morsul already witnessed.
Indeed, it's a perfect place, whether you like discussions or games or role-playing or riddles best, or weird humour and good-natured banter, or just reading and thinking, or a pleasant mixture of them all.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #3430
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
But that's just a bit of trivia about the name. I've loved The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion for a long time.

And now myself, I thought of the 60's rock band The_Mugwumps, which produced members of The Mamas and The Papas and Lovin Spoonful. Now I'll have to get their music out of my head and consciously think "dwarven" when I read your posts.

Welcome to the Downs, Mugwump!

Bethberry ~ otherwise known by her dwarven rpg name, Riverkindler
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #3431
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah, welcome Mugwump!

Did you ever read William S. Burroughs Naked Lunch by the way? You should because it's quite brilliant and also because there are Mugwumps in that novel, but since this is a family friendly site I will not link to any descriptions of these rather unsightly creatures.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #3432
Bes
Animated Skeleton

Bes has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bes Send a message via Yahoo to Bes Send a message via Skype™ to Bes
Hey folks. I heard about this place from Roa, and it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. I thought I'd come and give it a try.
Bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #3433
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hooray, another fresh corpse!

Enjoy your death, Bes!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #3434
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Yay! Another new Downer! And another new Werewolf player as well!
Welcome to the black-and-green netherworld, Bes! You may find there's a lot of fun to be had here besides WW, too - so tuck in and enjoy!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #3435
Mugwump
Wight

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Did you ever read William S. Burroughs Naked Lunch by the way? You should because it's quite brilliant and also because there are Mugwumps in that novel....
Yes, but the word's derivation is much earlier than that. Mugwump was an Americanism, an early 19th century revival of the Massachusett Indian word mugquomp, a syncopated form of muggumquomp, meaning war leader. About 50 years later mugwump was used to refer to any Republican who refused to support the party nominee, James Blaine, in the presidential campaign of 1884. Thereafter it was used to refer generally to a person unable to make up his mind, or who was neutral on a controversial political issue. The great cartoonist Walt Kelly used the word mugwump in this sense in his comic strip Pogo, to refer to the type of person who can never quite make up his mind, a fence-straddler.

Now is that more than you needed or ever wanted to know, or what?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #3436
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Welcome, one and all. I would like to wish you my customary greetings and salivations.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #3437
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome, Mugwump and Bes.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #3438
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Now is that more than you needed or ever wanted to know, or what?
Not at all... Though I did not think that Burroughs invented the word I nevertheless feel enlightened by that very Tolkenian derivation of your username. Cheers!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #3439
Mugwump
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I nevertheless feel enlightened by that very Tolkenian derivation of your username. Cheers!
Well... thanks, but I'd never claim that Mugwump was more Tolkienian than Skip.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #3440
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasstuart View Post
My name is Thomas and I'd just like to say hi to everyone. As everybody knows that nowadays forums are the best source of Knowledge, and through forums we can learn a lot. When I heard of the community I thought it would be wonderful to expand to a new community, meet like minded people and share thoughts and services with fellow members.I am sure there's a lot of interesting topics and discussions happening on this forum and wanted to check it out.I was looking for a new forum to join and the higher powers of Google has brought me here!
I look forward to meeting you all and wish you the best of success.
What's funny about this one is he tried to put a spam link in his sig and couldn't manage it.