The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #561
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
I am close to clueless how these thigns work
You turn on the thign by pulling on the thwitch.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #562
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I wonder if this thread might be part of the reason why people tend to spell better here than on many other websites...
Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #563
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I disagree with this hole notion of Sauron being 'stupid.' - clearly there must have been gaps in the argument...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #564
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Can we take a character's opinion to be Cannon?
There are certainly some incendiery opinions being thrown about here on the Downs, why not in Middle Earth?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #565
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Note meaning to imply that loyers are baddies, of course.
I suppose you slinked away after writing it out to stop him catching you? Otherwise he'll take you to a court of law!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #566
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up A Freudian slip -- just another coverup?

Now that might just be almost a true Freudian slip--a contest between superego and id?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #567
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Quote:
the creation of frankenfora
Is that the progreny that arise from a cross between the Gondor RP forum and the Mirth forum? Or the Books forum with the Movies forum?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #568
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tsk-tsk, a typo in the typos threat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
Is that the progreny that arise from a cross between the Gondor RP forum and the Mirth forum? Or the Books forum with the Movies forum?
Considering the original context, it could very well be something pro-greeny. I don't see the problem, actually, when Samwise became the Mayor, it was obvious that he was a candidate for the Green Party and the pro-green voters were those who got him elected.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #569
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Hanging my head

Wow. This is like having a pubescent voice-change-squeak in the middle of asking the pretty cheerleader for a date. I am experiencing a deeply-debilitating moment of personal shame.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #570
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate, bolding mine
Tsk-tsk, a typo in the typos threat?
If that was a typo, it was a hilarious one...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #571
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Back to the topic at hand

<Thenamir tries to change the subject>
Quote:
There seem to be several stores which are making available singed copies by Alan Lee
Those illustrations of Mount Doom are so realistic!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #572
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
the creation of frankenfora
Quote:
Is that the progeny that arise from a cross between the Gondor RP forum and the Mirth forum? Or the Books forum with the Movies forum?
Seeing Thenamir's clever conjoining of fora here on the Downs, I was prompted to imagine what else frankenfora could be. Possibly an attempt to avoid implying a hobbit twin along the lines of LMP's Lefun and Ritun? Then I went and reread the nasty source. Anyone who can write that scurriously of dear Sam deserves to be tarred with spelling indignities, is all I can say.

Quote:
There seem to be several stores which are making available singed copies by Alan Lee
He's such a hot property, Alan Lee, that I would never have suspected this of being a typo.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 03-28-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #573
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Galadriel - She is hot/beautiful (I could do with Cate Blanchet as well) and cleaver and powerful and all that Jazz
Is she?

Last edited by Thinlómien; 04-13-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #574
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
And now I assign the awareness of the Chat Swerl approaching at a monstrous speed!

Something like a tornado, eh?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #575
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
does anyone mind if I find out who he is and then write a scathing denuciation?
Wouldn't want a Tolkien critic to have nukes available to him, would we now!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #576
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
They ran away from him and came to a river that, little did they know, marked the boarder into Faerie.
A river was needed to indicate the presence of someone who ate Faerie food? (aka room & board)
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #577
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
I'll never be able to shake the inage of Noggie as Odin
That's psychologically quite an adept description. When men are young and cool they can easily feel themselves to be sky-Gods. Fortunately that age passes...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #578
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hey! I made it into the Typo thread! Hooray for meeeee....

Nogrod, if I recall correctly (and I've already showed my tendency to mix up people's ages ), you're not as old as you make yourself sound here...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #579
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Her arms around his waste pulled at him slightly and he shifted his weight to counter balance hers.
As this is a family-friendly site I'm not sure if I dare to make any comments on this one... but the action surely looks interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Nogrod, if I recall correctly (and I've already showed my tendency to mix up people's ages), you're not as old as you make yourself sound here...
That depends on how old you think I sound...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #580
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
That depends on how old you think I sound...
*ahem*

Quote:
When men are young and cool they can easily feel themselves to be sky-Gods. Fortunately that age passes...
That's what I was referring to...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #581
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Quote:
Even the valar experience the mistery of magic
Aha, I knew it! Even in Middle-Earth, "magic" is all smoke and mirrors.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #582
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
You're not looing good to me Rikae.
What should I make of this?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #583
Lucy the human

Quote:
a dwarf that forgot to use coloan
A dwarf with a loan or one who can't properly punctuate? Yes, I know it would be a colon- maybe he has a loan of a colon?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #584
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
I had tried to follow the destructions but it never worked.
Violence is never the answer.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #585
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Jay, that was deliberate .... ..albeit a part of a corrupted family patois which includes "suggestive biscuits", "aertex Ceilings" and " feeling legarthic"

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #586
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

In that case it can stand as testimony to your oddness.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #587
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

One of my teachers said I would be insulted to be described as normal...

You mean in is not usual to cherish others' malapropisms and incorporate them into one's vocabulary? Oh well, odd is good..... I embrace my eccentricity... as you may have noticed

Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #588
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
As this is a family-friendly site I'm not sure if I dare to make any comments on this one... but the action surely looks interesting!
Hmph. In such a case, I think the original author would prefer being PMed instead of having it flaunted about here.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #589
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

As my mamma would have said

Foley, "to the pure, all things are pure".

Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #590
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
the gridle of Melian
Ooooh, Maian pancakes?! I wonder of one of the Two Trees was a maple for syrup...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #591
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
[he] realised that he and the short guy had been seaking on top of each other
Pokémon, gotta catch 'em all! Apparently seaking weights 86lbs so you wouldn't want one on top of you.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #592
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Oh my...

Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #593
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Ah, I see. I dont think I quite understood why he was sewing. *opinion of PJ goes right back up*
Peter Jackson sews? *attempts to picture this* Hmm...interesting...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #594
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
another similarity is that Gringotts (the wizard bank) is guarded by goblins "So you'd be mad to rob it" and from what we know of tolkien dwarves they don't take kindly to robberry either.
I think I've just found a name for Bêthberry's evil doppelganger rpg character--or maybe a Robin Hood character version of her.

Or would that be a name for a Mr. Berry should Bethberry ever change her:

Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 AM   #595
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

There was a real Rob Berry at my school.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #596
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No comment ....

BAREBACK MOUNTING is one of the greatly overrated films of the last few years

Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #597
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr..... was that really somewhere, Mith? Or maybe it was an intentional joke....? Because that's quite ..... .....
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #598
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I didn't make it up I promise..

Old 08-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #599
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
BAREBACK MOUNTING is one of the greatly overrated films of the last few years
Hmm... ... when I read the post from which the above is taken I got the impression that "bareback mounting" was intentionally included by the poster.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #600
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
What if the souls of his slippers weren't as small as we tend to think?
Well, if swords can be sentient, why couldn't shoes have souls?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote