Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #921
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
OK, folks, my save is filled in. I offer my humble apologies to whoever wrote "The Music Man" and to Peter Schickele, whose sportscast version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is the highlight of my P.D.Q. Bach collection.

Thena, I greatly enjoyed your post! Alas, no time right now to be more specific.

Pray proceed, Saucy...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #922
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Pray proceed, Saucy...
I have duly proceeded.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 AM   #923
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Wonderful, Saucy! I love it when you loyers use your inside knowledge to post. I'm afraid it'll take me a couple of days to write up my post for Yawanna, as I had to wait in order to take all other factors into account. Besides that, I have a nasssty cold and am not thinking much right now, and none of that is creative!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #924
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The End?

I know we've been carrying on thru this story for quite some time, but there is a part of me that will be quite sorry to see it come to an end. Participating in this story has been a welcome distraction from two periods of unemployment and tense waiting for movie releases. There may be a bit left to write for the ending here, but before it's all over I want to say what a wonderful time I've had being a part of this epic two-pluss years in the making. God bless you all.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #925
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry folks, it's taking me a bit longer to get my head back together again, so I will have to try your patience a few days more. Come to think of it, why should I be the only one who learns patience?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #926
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've posted the first part of my Yawanna plot continuum - which will need editing, since I haven't completed the song lyrics yet. (I'm busy with preparations for a weekend away right now.) I will need at least another post or two to finish the current development, then we will proceed to the final (who am I kidding?! ) wrapup of the story. Everyone should plan to post at least once or twice in the next few weeks, please.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #927
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've edited my post to include the song lyrics for Yawanna. Saucy has a save up; after that I will continue the final confrontation before proceeding to the reunification. Please contact me if you have an idea and wish to post; as long as developments are coordinated, contributions are welcome!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #928
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My dear fellow Ent-ities!

While we wait for Saucy's post, I would like to share my thoughts upon nearing the end of our story. There are a number of possible reactions: relief at having stayed with it, more or less, and finally reaching the end (perhaps I should have T-shirts made with "I survived the Entish Bow" on them! ); satisfaction on a job well done; sadness that the Downs' longest-running RPG is over. I feel all of that and more - I am proud of having shared this experience with all of you. It was something very special, with excellent writing and wonderfully funny contributions, lovable characters, and a plot that was original in its own way, not just a parody of an existing story - and which often tooks turns that were unexpected even for me! To say nothing of our valiant attempts at continuity...

We have had quite a few readers, hopefully more than I know of, and even the discussion thread was eminently readable. I hope that some of them will post their reactions on the Gondorian RPG Reviews thread, which is empty so far.

The question which has come up is, should there be another episode of this franchise? I have two reactions to that question - on the one hand, I'm so glad to be finished with the responsibility of keeping this story going for such a long time and bringing it to completion, that I have no desire whatsoever to take on a task like that again; on the other hand, something would be missing in my life, and I know there are stories to be told. I have no idea of any of you have the desire to carry on with such an ambitious project, perhaps on a simpler level.

Who could be interested in continuing? Diamond is virtually gone from the Downs, a loss, but interests and priorities change, and that's valid. BW quit the RPG some time ago; Squatter ditto, and his presence here has been all too rare, alas; Rim is around occasionally, but not regularly; Kuru posts irregularly as well; Lush's posts are few and far between; Bb has been available only for cameos; Thena's online opportunities are sketchy at best; Mith and Saucy are busier than ever with work and family; and I have other projects which are time consuming. The list of our writers grows thin!

Shall we breathe a sigh of relief and let it pass to the West? Or is anyone interested in continuing their stay in Muddled Mirth?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #929
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I could continue in a new story, if we started sometime after the New Year.

This past (well, actually, still current) semester is my last before I do my thesis, so I (believe it or not) kind of had to prioritize (GASP!).

But whatever everybody else thinks.

Quote:
We have had quite a few readers
Perhaps you could draft a few of these alleged readers who might bring fresh blood (literally) to the tale and wouldn’t be afflicted by the bouts of ennui and idleness that beset the rest of us.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #930
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Esty, if I haven't said it before, to you and to all, please accept my apologies for my times of sporadic or non-existant posting.

If you have another episode in you, I would certainly be honored to be a part of it. At the moment, my online access is work-only, but lunchtime provides many an opportunity to read and/or write, and hopefully I will be back home by January. I can't chat from here, but I can post! And my last few posts have all been created under these circumstances.

That's not to say that we could not benefit from some fresh participants. Perhaps some of the Writers of Rohan (pun definitely intended).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #931
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I forgot to mention that I have filled my save.

Quote:
Shall we breathe a sigh of relief and let it pass to the West? Or is anyone interested in continuing their stay in Muddled Mirth?
Somehow, I suspect that my principal character ain't gonna to make it out of the tale alive.

Still, I would be happy to participate in a (second) sequel, if there was enough interest. Or perhaps it could be a prequel ...
Old 12-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #932
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A great post, Saucy! For some reason, portions of it seemed familiar somehow... deja vú, I guess! Much fun to read - and you even used "patchwork" in it! As to the last sentence, now that needs a week's answer, or none. I'll do my best to post soon.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #933
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
*cough*

I'm not really sure what's going on, but I've got a vacation coming up (after the 14th, to be precise), and I finally seem to be in the right state of mind to write something else besides elegies for all the family members I've lost this autumn.

So... let me know if you want Leninia resurrected, Esty.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #934
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Leninia is still alive and well, so your post will be very welcome, Lush! I will do my very best to finish off the current scene so that we can move on to the reunification - or at least the transition thereto - next week. Those who wish to post during the transition should plan to do so next week or soon thereafter, though posting during the reunification scene is also an option. However, anyone who does not post before the story ends will find a sudden and gruesome end!

I will try to keep the story moving, but I can't guarantee that we will finish within this year - maybe closing off the RPG should be our collective New Year's resolution?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #935
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry, it's taking me a few days longer to finish my post. Unfortunately, this week's creative writing energy was completely used up by figuring out many ways to say the same things, i. e. Christmas mail. I promise to do the best I can as soon as I can...

PS - My post is up now, and anyone may proceed with new posts. The Almost-Finished-Ship is travelling to the holy mountain of Tan-Quickly-Hill; comments on the happenings, and odes to O2 would be appropriate, as would interaction between the characters and descriptions of the journey. Those who do not post now may do so after the holidays, when the reunification ceremony will take place.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 12-15-2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: PS
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #936
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Drat! Drat and double Drat! And I would've gotten away with it if it had been for the meddlin' Pesky-Ship!

Great post Esty - apart from the doing away with Mogul bit.

If anyone posts before I get round to it, can you please remember to unearth Soregum from underneath the scattered Troll remains. He's slightly shaken, but not too stirred.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:03 AM   #937
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Okay... I'm on vacation, and am, of course, coming down with the deadly strain of avian flu, or something along the same lines. Bleh. I am flying to Kentucky tomorrow, and hopefully will have ample enough Internet access to put something up by Christmas. If I am too ill, and will die, I hope you all will miss me, knowing that my last thoughts where directed toward the Itship and its wonderful participants. Happy *cough wheeze* Christmas.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #938
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf A missive under the berrytoe

In full honour and respect of Lush's sick bed, (oh, would that--slap!) an advertisment has been offerred in lieu of your irregularly scheduled posts.

A small gift to tide you all over the seasonal interruptus.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #939
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What fun! Good ol' BST is back again! Thanks for an enjoyable post, Bb! You, a cameo writer, have set a good example for all "regulars". I hope to see more posts in the coming week; then the end draweth nigh...
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #940
Lush
Fair and Cold

Hokay... I'm finally coming back to Duke, to regular Internet access, and away from crazy relatives. Should post next week. Love you all. Kiss kiss.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #941
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The first post of my finalizing narrative is up. I will continue within the next days, breaking my part of the story into bite-sized posts. You are welcome to post any time you have an inspiration; however, there will also be ample opportunity to do so when the reunification ceremony is over.

"Tying up loose ends" is the motto for this last section; if your character, Muddled-Mirth or Velour, has unfinished business from the past, you may want to use that as a stepping stone for your post(s). I will write a burial scene for Orogarn in addition to the other business at hand.

Apologies to JRRT for lifting the poems almost verbatim from The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth...
Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #942
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Orogarn Two has been buried in all honour, but with only those who are present now attending the solemn rites - which are Merisu, Yawanna, and Falafel (all three played by yours truly, yes). I have no idea if any of the other players are still around, but I will give all a week or perhaps two to catch up and post at the barrow. It's fine if you intend to post later instead, but I do ask all of you to at least post on this thread briefly to let me know you're still alive after the holidays! Lush, you've spoken up, so don't necessarily have to answer roll call. (I have no objection to a post from you, however! ) Please, people, let me hear from you - I don't care to go through all the work of PMing each of you personally. Anyone who is lagging behind may meet with a terrible end; it is a dangerous land to walk through without a guide or guard...

By the way, Orogarn's heroic death is only a plot device, neither more nor less than that. It was suggested that the Itship should not get away without a loss, and that of a Hero seemed most appropriate. Besides, the Homecoming section with the barrow was too good not to parody! All similarities to site founders in real life is completely coincidental, of course!

Possibilities for posting ideas at this point - mourning the death of the only remaining hero; character interaction between Itship and Velour; browsing the barrows, reading the markers to see what on earth could be buried here in the Deathless Lands (besides plot continuity, of course! ) - or whatever inspiration occurs to you.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #943
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hurray, a post! I was beginning to feel lonely here, even almost invisible, since there was no reaction to my appeal for a roll call.

Thanks for another great, funny post, Kuruharan! I really enjoyed reading the Dwarf's high-falutin' speech and the conversations, both inner and outer. Manuël's complaint about the big words had me laughing out loud!

One minor discrepancy needs an edit - Gravlox is not walking with Merisu at this point; she, Yawanna, and Falafel are ahead with the cart. All others are lagging.

Anyone else ready to catch up - or at least to let me know here when you will be able to post? I would much appreciate hearing who's still alive and with us.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #944
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm still hoping for brief notices that

Saucy
Mith
Diamond
Thena
Rim

are still alive, as well as the promised post by Lush.

A change in my plans will keep me away from my keyboard most of the time during the next couple of weeks. Therefore you all have a bit of additional time for catching up. I will by posting the reunification scene before mid-February. I'd hate to have things breaking up after so long, so I will try to use your characters, but I can't guarantee that I will drag all missing characters along for the ride.

The current lack of interest in the end spurt confirms what I already thought about a third part of the saga - it's not going to happen.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #945
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I'm alive, but just barely. Access to Downs limited to infrequent visits to library. Am still in Phoenix, but job may open up in Houston in the next couple of days, which will open things up considerably. I will post here as I am able.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #946
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm here, and will try to contribute. Time has been short, but I will do what I can.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #947
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Esty

Since moving house, I have been having problems with the transfer of my Broadband connection which are ongoing, so I have only been able to log on to the Downs intermittently. Not sure when it's all going to be resolved, but hopefully shortly ...

I will certainly be posting during the Reunification and, if I can, will post something before we get there.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #948
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for your replies, guys! It's good to hear from you.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #949
Lush
Fair and Cold

Hey!

I'm so sorry. I'm juggling an honours thesis, three classes, a new part-time job, and searching for a real job. It's been awful trying to muster up enough energy to put up a Leninia post. I WILL do it over the next couple of weeks. I promise.

Thank you for putting up with me.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #950
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've been paging through the whole thread in an attempt to double-check my memory of all the pieces of Entish wood. Reading old (and I do mean old!) posts has reminded me of the wonderful times we had and the fantastic writing on this RPG - it's been grand! I shall do my best to end it well.

Anyway, as far as I can find, there were following pieces:
the Bow, Gravlox' wooden foot, the Great Foozle (found by Kuru), Leninia's Entish guitar, the Thighs of Soreham, the breadbox, and the broom. Did I miss anything?

My post should be up within the next few days. Alas, I am simultaneously working on a quilt for a competition with a deadline soon...
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #951
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The reunification ceremony is posted. I have assembled all of the wooden pieces and all of the characters, as far as I know. Should any of you have objections or additions, speak now or forever hold your pieces!

Kuru, I didn't know how to include Chrysophylax in this scene; there should be some task that he can accomplish, since he is sentient. I'm assuming that the other beasts of burden were left at Sethamir's.

Saucy's save is in accordance with a long-standing request of his. I look forward to seeing what he cooks up in those pans of his!

All others: I expect your posts either at this point or when the adventure is wrapped soon - better yet, both! Please consider what is to happen with your character(s) upon conclusion. Where do they go, what are their further plans, whether a marriage is in the offing, how they will get back from Valleyum to Muddled-Mirth...

Reaperneep will go on farther west all alone, in keeping with the original character that inspired him. Does anyone want to write that? If not I shall, to bring closure to his subplot.

Any questions?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #952
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm sort of waiting to see what will happen with The Saucepan Man's post. I do have a thing or two in mind to wrap up the saga of Kuruharan and Chrysophylax.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #953
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I'm workin' on it ...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #954
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! Don't worry, it doesn't advance the plot.

I filled my save in (having grown bored of waiting ). You'll just have to move your post, Saucy, I've maniacally stomped all over your dibs. Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #955
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Ah well, it's me own fault for being so incredibly slow about filling in my save.

Apologies to all. Save moved.

Mogul's return coming soon to a thread near you ...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #956
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's in the grand REB tradition, one person takes a long time to fill in a save and another writes a post about it. I say we should patent our system.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #957
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Mogul's return coming soon to a thread near you ...
That sounds good, but can the word "soon" be given a more precise temporal definition?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #958
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Quote:
That sounds good, but can the word "soon" be given a more precise temporal definition?
Surely you have realised by now, Esty, that time on this thread is relative.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #959
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I'm workin' on it ...
... still workin' on it ...

Actually, I really am working on it. I should have the save filled some time this weekend.

Sorry, Esty, for the overrun, but I hope that you can find it within yourself to indulge my tardiness ...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #960
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

OK. I'm done.