The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Smile when you say that, Gimli!

So, has anyone found a translation of the Dwarvish phrase that Gimli says to Haldir in Lothlorien? I watched the film with the English subtitles on, but there was no translation. <P>All we really know is that Aragorn did not think it was very "courteous". (Though I doubt that he said anything bad enough to be censored at the Barrow Downs. )
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

How could Aragorn had known? Dwarves never taught their language to outsiders....all we know is "Baruk Khazâd! Kazâd ai-mênu!!"<P>Of course, that is from the book....
Old 11-27-2002, 09:09 PM   #3
morima

Tolkien

There is no translation for it! Check <A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_elvish.htm#gimli" TARGET=_blank>this</A> out, that's a list of the Elvish/Black Speech/Dwarwish and so forth spoken in the movie. Gimli's remark means nothing, according to this list. And you're right, Manwë, Aragorn could never have known! That is a stupid move from PJ!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, well, everyone's entitled a stupid move, even PJ, though it's a little surprising from a man of his perfectionistic standards. I'll be able to argue this better once I've seen the extended version...come FRIDAY!!! Yay! Eru bless my lovely friend who invited me over!<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-27-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did wonder about that, but I considered Aragorn's reaction was more to the additude of Gimli, rather than what he said.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Manwe and Morima. Since I'm not well versed on all of Tolkien's other works, I was not aware of exactly how many words are recorded in the Dwarf language by Tolkien. <P>However; I respectfully suggest that neither do you, Morima. Here is a link with several more Dwarvish words and word fragments that have been recorded. <A HREF="http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/khuzdul.htm" TARGET=_blank>The Secret Tongue of the Dwarves</A><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>of course, that is from the book...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Of course, Manwe, We are talking about the film here. And NO film is ever "the book".<P>But since P.J. went to the trouble and expense to employ Tolkien scholars and linquists to assist him in the writing of dialog which uses the good professor's languages, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he probably worked closely with these people to get the proper "sound" of the Dwarf tongue, even if the words had no real meaning. <P>Now why would he do this? Because it gives us a wonderful little scene with a wealth of background information concerning the characters. It shows us Gimli's irracibility and stubborness, (Haldir is <I>this</I> close to shooting the pesky dwarf, but Gimli is still mouthing off at him.) It establishes the difference between the races, not just in appearance, but in their languages. <P>It also give us a quite a bit of insight into the character of Aragorn. By his "knowing" what Gimli is saying, it suggests that Aragorn a highly educated Man, (much more even than Haldir the Elf, since Haldir doesn't know what Gimli said - though he can probably guess). It also suggests that Aragorn has traveled widely and has had dealings with many different races.<P>That's a lot of information to convey in a scene that only lasts maybe 10 seconds. And THAT'S good film-making! So even though you tell me that the actual "words" had no meaning, I'm still going to defend P.J.'s use of that scene, and I'm very glad he took the time and effort to put that moment back in the film.<P>Oh, BTW: in the above article, it does give incidences where a select few Men and Elves were taught the Dwarf tongue. So it would be no stretch of the imagination to believe that Aragorn knew "Dwarvish". Who better than the heir of Isildur, and the future King of Gondor and Anor?<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:33 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yet in secert (a secret which unlike the Elves, they did not willingly unlock, even to their friends) they used their own strange tongue, changed little by the years; for it had become a tongue of lore rather than a cradle-speech, and they tended it and guarded it as a treasure of the past. <B>Few of other race have succeeded in learning it</B>. In this history it appears only in such place-names as Gimli reavealed to his companions; and is the battle-cry which he uttered in teh siege of teh Hornburg. That at least was not secret, and had been heard on many a field since the world was young. <I>Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!</I> 'Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So some learned the language, but were never taught by the Dwarves themselves. Perhaps Aragorn did learn from Elrond or Celeborn; we'll probably never know.<P>And I have no idea why I posted this...it should be in "Books".
Old 11-28-2002, 01:23 AM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I liked the scene, personally; it certainly showed that Gimli was less than thrilled about Haldir's "Welcome to Lorien" especially as it related to singling him out. The filmmakers had comparatively little time in which to get Gimli's displeasure across, and falling into one's native language is a pretty universal and clear sign of stress. Besides, it makes the contrast with his attitude after Galadriel's gifts much sharper.<P>As for the language - if it were Elvish, or a similar language on which Tolkien had left real notes, I'd say that the filmmakers should have taken the trouble to use the real thing. But if you look at the information on Dwarvish, there really isn't much there, and what there is mostly refers to geography, so unless you want to have Gimli describing the locations of Zirakzigil and Khazad-Dum, you're going to have to make something up.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:35 AM   #9
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Fleance Stoneycroft has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the scene is funny, too. But it is unfortunate it is no real Dwarvish. And I would like to hear more of the Black Speech in the next films. This interests me most.<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/the_dark_wizard_of_orthanc/sauron.html" TARGET=_blank>Horror and LotR</A><BR>PS: My tenth post!!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:37 AM   #10
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Aragorn's comment was on the fact that Gimli were, as already mentioned, very close to get if not shot, then at least kicked far out of Lórien, and then he's provoking Haldir like that. Anybody would think him stupid.<BR>And I'm pretty sure Dimli didn't speak Khuzdul out of stress; a few seconds earlier Legolas and Haldir babbled (hate to use that word) along in Elvish, which he didn't understand anything of, and by using <B>his</B> language, he wanted to show them, that he could do exactly the same thing. Not smart in that situation, but Dwarves you know <BR>Anyways, my point is, Gimli is provoking, not nervous.
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There is no translation for it! Check this out, that's a list of the Elvish/Black Speech/Dwarwish and so forth spoken in the movie. Gimli's remark means nothing, according to this list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Heh, even if what Gimli said doesn't really mean anything, he did sound royally P.O.'d, and I think that's what PJ was going for.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 AM   #12
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I'd venture to say it's something along the lines of "You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny"
Old 01-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
Arwen the Evenstar

Sting

I have been imagining him to say, "Take that bow and stick it where the sun don't shine, you pale bastard!" Only using much fouler language.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> even PJ, though it's a little surprising from a man of his perfectionistic standards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I want some of what Orual's smoking, it must make the movies much better. Where exactly was Éomer riding north to in TTT? Why does PJ appear playing two different and obvious characters in the movies? Ditto, his children?<P>We could always suppose that Aragorn doesn't understand Dwarvish, and that he was just saying in general that Gimli wasn't being very nice. Not likely, though.<P>I don't think Tolkien himself invented many words of Dwarvish, let alone complete grammar. I think they probably just used similar sounding words. I'd be interested to know whether it's an actual language or just gibberish. John Rhys-Davies is Welsh, right? Maybe it's Welsh! I just hope it's not Klingon...
Old 01-17-2003, 09:22 AM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I had presumed the line was Elvish and that's how Aragorn knew what Gimli said. However, if there are Elvish speakers telling me that it wasn't Elvish then that's ok.<P>It doesn't really matter. As someone already pointed out, we didn't know what Gimli said, but we could sure as hell figure out his tone and his mood!
Old 01-18-2003, 09:47 AM   #16
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I thought the "That was not very courteous" was funny! And who says Aragorn didn,t know? He lived in Rivendell for so long, he could have picked it up!
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:05 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It could be some kind of well known Dwarvish phrase. There are certainly a number of phrases from other languages in our world that most people know even though they don't speak the language itself.<P>H.C.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #18
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

The Eye

I think it's blatant Dwarf-bashing by the elitist elves and their Númenórean choreboys. I hated seeing Aragorn tell Gimli off, here and at Parth Galen. Gimli should have just bullrushed him and smacked him in the face. <P>Dwarf workers unite! Cast down the oppressive bourgeois elves! Snatch the means of production! Peter Jackson is a capitalist swine.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #19
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I want some of what Orual's smoking, it must make the movies much better. Where exactly was Éomer riding north to in TTT? Why does PJ appear playing two different and obvious characters in the movies? Ditto, his children? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Or maybe you could stop to consider that Orual made that post on November 27th.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #20
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

Good call. The major difference between FOTR and TTT for most of the fans on the Downs seems to be the adherence to the story (or lack thereof). I think everyone was more accepting of the changes in FOTR and saw them as a regrettable necessity. Many of the changes to TTT are just sacrilige and butchery. Of course, this doesn't mean that I don't still want some of what Orual's smoking.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
He (Gimli) Said I spit on your grave
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote