The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Coffe, Tea or ME?...a pragmatist guide to all three

Well now, if you’re looking for some European period that would cover all or any of the nearly seven thousand years presented in Middle-Earth since the Leaguer of Angband, you will not find it.

Whether intentional, or as logical as JRRT may have later wished, the Books relate as much to his memories of Victorian English countryside, as they do to the Iron Age Europe inhabiting the legends and so forth that he studied.

This Iron Age existed—-depending on the place and the scholar-—anywhere from one to several thousand years ago. Yet when it comes to cultural virtues and values, political economy, and low-population settlement patterns, Iron-age society is, arguably an excellent model for Middle-Earth.

In terms of commercial, social, political and military organization, the early Middle Ages, especially Anglo-Saxon Britain is the world that best animates the vision in the Books, particularly by way military technology and techniques.

But you are really looking at circa 17th Century Europe, when it comes to the style and feel of places like the Shire or Minas Tirith, as well as various foodstuffs and other technologies—-with two very critical exceptions-—the absence of movable-type printing and of firearms.

What’s really remarkable is that for the typical, historical European, at least, there was little in the way of serious technological change from the Classical Age up until pre-Industrial times, apart form the above two exceptions. When The Hobbit was written, there were no doubt a few corners of Europe left, for which its descriptions would not have seemed alien.

And to all of this, I say: So What? Middle-Earth is not the “Middle Ages,” but rather Endor that lies between the Land of the Sun and the immortal Blessed Land of Valinor. What does it matter…if it includes goods and commodities unknown to Alfred the Great?

There is paper, coffee, tea, coal, clocks, tobacco, optics, matches, violas, powder-based fireworks, marine navigation, forms of metallurgy, textile types, masonry methods, postal systems and other things that were not much invented, rediscovered, or introduced into Europe (from the Americas, Africa or East Asia) until the High Medieval period or centuries later.

In Middle-Earth, however, Elves, Dwarves and even Men can do things only comprehensible as “magic,” but JRRT leaves no doubt that that is not the proper way to think about such matters.

For me, I simply look at NW Middle-Earth as comparable to some generic, composite “Past” of our Western World, especially in relationship to Teutonic/Celtic/Baltic areas. But to cross the Channel, it might all be equally at home in the era of Louis XIV or in Frankish Gaul, but of course, it is in reality not even close to either of those.

I think it’s fine to assume a general distinction between things noted by derivation from the Red Book and items that we might buy today in the store, but I see no compelling reason to make Pipe-weed out as an unknown form of Nicotina; or to ascribe “pa-tat-oes” to another type of tuber; or to speculate about “malt coffee” whatever that may be! The things in the Books are what they are, and certainly relate to common enough references, even if irreconcilable with our own world’s antiquity. You can always think of our world as having only rediscovered these things, if you like.

Nonetheless, for certain food commodities, geography and trade would have been challenging, given the apparent isolation and insular nature of communities such as the Shire, and the vast stretches of “mostly” uninhabited and treacherous areas that existed.

Yet, I think it can be argued that such conditions were relatively recent by Frodo’s time and highly emphasized to underscore the troubles brewing with the impending War.

For one thing, the very ubiquity of the Westron suggests a not so distant time, in which considerable communication occurred on an actively sustained basis.

Even by SR 1400, the Butterburs were doing a fair amount of business, and Shire-folk had quite a bit of indirect and imprecise knowledge of distant lands and events, and certain Hobbits such as Farmer Maggot and others might have had regular intercourse with Lindon Elves, Big Folk and Dwarves.

However treacherous, the distances were not so great, when not trying to elude servants of the Enemy. And the dwarves in The Hobbit were inexplicably slow. Perhaps, they took detours in Eriador and the Elf Path’s power depended on it following an extremely wavy route to & fro among the woods.

Commerce was, nevertheless, fairly limited, and local self-sufficiency the rule. But one gets the sense that Dwarves never tilled the land or practiced husbandry, and that West-Elves didn’t much either by that time. So, they had to trade with others, either far or near, and that besides towns like Bree, there were likely still villages and hamlets dispersed across some other regions Eriador and not entirely cut-off. The Rangers must have been trying to protect more than only Bree-land and the Shire.

One can easily imagine Men or Dwarves with laden wagons traveling the Old South Road from time to time, or small cargo ships rather safely plying the largely uninhabited coastlines (Dunlending-like fisher-folk supposedly dwelt in parts of Enedwaith), as well as navigable lengths of the Gwathlo and Branduin. Cirdan’s mariners could have been quite involved, too.

This would have all been, at best, a medieval form of commerce—-no direct merchants between producer and consumer, but rather a network of middlemen, and the risks were certainly great with Orks, Trolls and other evil, along with foul weather, &c.

By our standards, however, the greatest challenge would have been the lack of readily interchangeable currency. But the hobbits’ dealings in Bree suggest the existence of species money that had recognizable value and utility for exchange.

Also, one can easily presume that prior to Boromir’s time, boats going up and down the Anduin were not so uncommon. The total desertion of Tharbad is treated in the FotR, as something not fully expected; maybe, the passing of the Nine Riders had been the final blow. I would think that the refugees in Bree, while aware and frightened by events in Ithilien, were themselves directly displaced from no farther away than areas west of Rohan, where their particular communities had, perhaps, run foul of Saruman’s growing power structure. Of course, all this did not prevent his maintaining connections to the South Farthing, or his (or the Black Rider’s) seeding such fugitive groups with spies.

In Bilbo’s time, I see no reason why districts south of Gondor, which either were not suppressed by Sauron’s hegemony, or were allowed to undertake trade to raise tribute, somehow didn’t transport non-strategic, non-perishables like coffee to ports in populous Gondor. From there it made its way to the Shire in exchange for dwarvish gold or hops. It seems not at all peculiar for the well-to-do Baggines or Dwarves of Durin’s Royal Line to be familiar with and often possess relatively exotic commodities such as tea.

Also, at the time of the Long-Expected Party, when North-South trade was evidently ebbing, there were thanks to the Bardings and Beornings, rather useable trade routes stretching from the Ered Luin to Dorwinion on the western shores of the Sea of Rhûn.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Interesting topic.

I've never really thought of Middle-earth as being part of our world, past, present or future. It seemed almost like an alternate reality to me. I know that Tolkien himself said we're in the 6th or 7th age, but our history and theirs just don't jive.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Isnt that why he wrote it? as a mythology for England?
Old 02-01-2003, 05:07 AM   #4
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ah, MotWold, you must study your Middle Earth history to address some of these questions.

Numenor is an echo of the British Empire and the legends of Atlantis. Note the domination of Middle Earth by a superior naval force, and strong indications of coastal trade (especially to the South and up the Anduin), as well as less-than-savory dealings with Harad under the leadership of Ar-Pharazon, reminiscent of Africa and the British Raj.

The fact that Numenor so easily dominated Middle Earth, despite their limited presence there indicates that their combination of Elvish 'technology' (the Palantiri for example) and abilities as shipwrights, made them considerably more advanced than the other cultures of Middle Earth. Though someone had to have brought the goods to the Anduin ports to trade with Numenor.

I propose that the culture of the majority of Middle Earth is Iron Age, while the Elves brought the culture of Numenor up to the standard of Victorian England. I think it likely that anomalies of Middle Earth, paper, tea, etc., are from Numenor (and indirectly from the western Elves.

With the fall of Numenor, the development of Middle Earth radically changed. The influence of Numenor spread as powerful Numenorian refugees displaced the indigenous people of Middle Earth. They carved out the north kingdom (near Bree) bequeated land to the Shire hobbits in exchange for fealty, and of course created a much larger kingdom to the south, Gondor.

After the last battle of elves and men, Gondor bequeated to Eorl the Young the kingdom of Rohan, displacing the Dunlanders; Gondor further remapped Middle Earth to suit themselves.

Immediately after the fall of Numenor, trade with Harad actually increased, though Numenor's naval presence slowly declined. There was a sort of golden age for Middle Earth, although Numenor meerely attempted to (unsuccessfully) recreate what they lost. They clung to their traditions and behaved much like the last vestiges of the Roman Empire in England, spreading the luxuries, styles and habits of their lost kingdom as it crumbled around them.

A further indication of Gondor's influence on trade was the fact the North-South road was established and maintained by the North kingdom. The location of Amon Sul (Weathertop) indicates they also guarded the East-West road as well (The Hobbit and FOTR suggests that the East-West road was very old however, and primarily used by the dwarves).

As Gondor declined, so did trade, though other factors effected it as well (Smaug is a good example, and the influence of the Beornings on the trade routes their lands controlled). The rangers, the last decendents of the northern kingdom continued their 'job' of policing the remainders of their kingdom. At, of course, a diminished capacity. So the influence of Numenor remained, though unrecognized.

-Maril
Old 02-01-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Thank You, I actually agree with you all. I was trying to rebut points often expressed with respect to references in The Hobbit and elsewhere. The gist of these points is that JRRT when he said clocks, coffee, pipe-weed/tabacco and the like was simply using a familiar term, as a matter of translation, for something that while similar was not what these things mean to us.

These arguments by others are put forth to reconcile such references with two propositions: (1) That Middle-Earth should match up technologically and so forth with the Old World of an era analogous to what is potrayed in the Books; and (2) That at least by the late Third Age most places were all but completely cut-off, such that the presence of essentially sub-tropical products needs to be explained away.

I think Maril's points are good, and provide more consideration for refuting number (2) above. Elves before them to some extent, but especially Second-Age Numenorean Faithful settlements in the North and the later Dunedain kingdoms would have established wide areas and long periods over which peaceful interchange happened.

Politically, and in terms of broad national economics, these conditions started to decline by the early part of the second millenium with the rise of Dol Guldor and Angmar, and later the Plague and Wainraiders.

Much of the trade then and later, however, was undertaken by everyday Men, Dwarves, later Hobbits, and earlier-on especially, Elves. So, even as the political/national frameworks deterioriated, the more prosaic commercial patterns could continue on, well enough, for some time.

Still, the time periods are enormous. No Dunedain King ruled for 969 years. I would argue that no modern European country could trace its national history back more than 1,000 years, in terms of really serious continuity. And, though the Stewards encouraged greater cultural/ethnic unity within Gondor, they did not appear to govern with the same authority as a King.

But still, I would concur that the patterns of trade were no doubt a legacy of Numenor and should have been quite enduring, even as they had shrunk to a rather low and sparodic level, and the places of origins for certain goods and news only matters of heresay and rumor.

As for number (1) above, I would also agree that Middle-Earth, while comparable, is not supposed to correspond to our world by way of any place or time. Undenialably, however, one of the great beauties of the Books is twofold
(1) That while there are many fantastic phenomena, people, creatures and so forth, these are all attributed to perceptions and metaphysics which make them simply special but natural features of life for the characters, who otherwise experience the world around them just as we do.
(2) At same time, the baseline for the physical world of Middle-Earth is clearly just like our world. So at once it is fantasy, and yet strangely easy with which to relate.

For these and other reasons, I'd hesitate before using a term like "alternate reality."
I would label it rather something more like "reality in a different but ingenious context."
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote