The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Peter Jackson's Dambusters

Just got to post this story here.

I'm not at all sure what to make of this. After recent horrific remakes that should have been chained to the bottom of the ocean with leaden chains, like the sacrilege of remaking The Wicker Man, I'm touchy about anyone remaking classic films right now. However I noted that the other option was Mel Gibson remaking the film, which would have made my blood go cold

So, what's this going to be like? Will the RAF pilots be correctly attired with done up collars and ties and brylcreem on their hair? Or will they be in open-necked shirts and flying jackets in casual Kiwi style? Will wee see Wing Commander Guy Gibson belching in the presence of Churchill to entice the youth element into the cinema? Or maybe Barnes Wallis surfing the Ruhr dam on the wing of a Lancaster bomber? A cameo from Douglas Bader for no good reason?

But despite my misgivings I have to say I'm a lot more excited by this than I was by King Kong, which I've still not seen.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Wholy cow! (Sorry, just trying to see it with my mind's eyes...)

I could have taken the Hobbit from PJ, just to see how he could make it. To see, whether there were a learning process that could be sold to the big guy -producers and the marketmen.

I saw King Kong from dvd about a month ago (or something). Even the 70's version with its ecological agenda almost ruining the film was better... (Not that ecological agendas are bad, on the contrary, but pushing ideologies too much spoil films - like pushing the cause of the consumerism as an identity destroys most of the hit movies of today)

King Kong was like PJ in the LotR: looks nice but feels shallow & hollow.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
King Kong was like PJ in the LotR: looks nice but feels shallow & hollow.
I could not disagree with you much more if I tried.

As for this planned remake of the Dambusters, I wonder what they will call the dog?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Jackson certainly must have a thing for English mythologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
As for this planned remake of the Dambusters, I wonder what they will call the dog?
More than likely omit the dog.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Knowing Jackson, the dog will became a stripey cat called Spot.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Oh God! I forgot about the dog!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Another re-hash?

Can't Peter Jackson find any new screenplays to direct? It seems that apart from LotR everything he's done recently has been a re-make of an existing film. As for The Dam Busters, I don't see a reason to film it again. Fair enough, the special effects were terrible by modern standards; but the script, the acting and the cinematography were all spot on, and it was much easier in those days to lay one's hands on authentic equipment. This looks to me like a continuation of lazy Hollywood film-making, which prefers to re-hash an established classic in an attempt to revive some of its profitability.

I must say that the name of Guy Gibson's dog is going to be a real poser for any modern production team. More difficult still is the fact that the original code word for the complete destruction of one of the dams was the same word, which isn't one which anyone will be able to get away with using. Another issue is that this will inevitably revive all the controversy about Sir Arthur Harris and his subordinates in Bomber Command, who are already anathema to many people in their own country. All in all, the spirit of the original film is one that will be very difficult to recapture, and I'm unsure of the wisdom of attempting it. What I would like to see is a completely new film about Operation Chastise, based on a new screenplay, that gives a contemporary view of events and characters, perhaps reflecting the fact that the world has moved on; and certainly giving a less one-sided view of events. To be honest, I could wait a good many years before I see another film about the Second World War: we in Britain seem to dwell on it more than is entirely healthy.

That said, done well and with a cast of British and Commonwealth actors, this could be a good tribute to some very brave men. I suppose I'm just worried that it will turn into more gun-happy Hollywood tripe, with facile one-liners in broad Californian accents dropping along with the bombs.

Wait: apart from Christopher Tolkien's wartime service with the R.A.F. what does this have to do with Tolkien anyway?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Wait: apart from Christopher Tolkien's wartime service with the R.A.F. what does this have to do with Tolkien anyway?
I've been wondering if Tolkien was directly inspired by the events of WWII - there are a lot of parallels......
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh Davem just can't resist, but his humour is not lost on me....he.he
Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

What does it have to do with Tolkien? Um, good question. Yes, it's Peter Jackson directing, he who made the LotR films, but you could indeed ask what they had to do with Tolkien.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
note on Gibson...

Gibson should NOT be allowed to make anything regarding WW2 i bet hs favorite bbokk is mein kamof the racist jerk!!!

anyway....steam lt off

'm not sure what Peter jackson wll do wth a hstory based movie...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
note on Gibson...

Gibson should NOT be allowed to make anything regarding WW2 i bet hs favorite bbokk is mein kamof the racist jerk!!!

anyway....steam lt off

'm not sure what Peter jackson wll do wth a hstory based movie...
Well, we've all said things when we're drunk that we've later regretted. I was introduced to Tolkien's grandaughter last Saturday night & apparently put my arm round her shoulder & told her 'You're my best mate, you are'

(Actually I'm told I behaved impeccably but that's not as funny...)
Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Can't Peter Jackson find any new screenplays to direct?
Well, he's apparently found one, and it's a fantasy--not high fantasy but alternate history. He has acquired the rights for Naomi Novik's fantasy series Temeraire, a series geared for young adult readers which features a squadron of battling dragons and the Napoleanic wars. Click here.

The flying sequences would seem to be right up PJ's alley but this pushes the Hobbit back even further since filming for Lovely Bones is supposed to start in 2007.

How is he going to do all these films in one lifetime?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age

How is he going to do all these films in one lifetime?
Badly, if LotR is anything to go by. Bloatedly & overlong, if King Kong is.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #15
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, King Kong was too long - but is still a very good movie (if I start watching the dvd 50 minutes in)

A few things - We should remember that PJ is the PRODUCER of this film, not the director. That's a very different kettle of fish. When do we moan or praise Barrie Osbourne on this site for the LOTR movies?

Also, it's got a budget of $30-$40m dollars - That's not gonna take them long to spend is it????!!!! So I can't see this film taking too much of PJ's time up.

And finally, why does PJ HAVE to direct The Hobbit? As good a job as he did on LOTR, maybe he'll decide he's had enough of Middle-earth - a new director could still use Weta Workshop et all for the work. Or perhaps PJ could always be the Producer of the Hobbit instead of the Director......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #16
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, Davem. You are too harsh. I have many quarrels with the films but some aspects-- like the visuals--are worthy of praise. Plus, having suffered through the release of Bakshi, and that dreadful Rankin-Bass Return of the King, I know we could have done much worse.

I was not happy with King Kong. I far prefer the original, but I will withold judgment on the Hobbit until I see it (which I hope to do some day).