The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Erucolindiel

Silmaril Theme song for ROTK

I don't know if this topic is already discussed in this forum, since i just logged in for the first time <P>I was wondering whether or not the "theme song" for the movie ROTK has been selected yet. In my opinion, Loreena McKennitt would have been the perfect artist to perform the song in the end credits for the movie. <P>Does anyone agree with me? I think this suggestion should be spread wide...
Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I must agree because she is rather like Enya when it comes to what they sing about. I don't think Sarah Mac Gloclin (I know I didn't spell that right but I don't care) would be a bad choice either. I have been keeping my eyes peeled on the music download sites for any that is even closely related to the ROTK soundtrack.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Eruco! Enjoy being dead. <P>I agree, and maybe even Sarah Harmer would be good.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oh, I am glad everyone agrees with me! Those would all be great choices (though I have never heard of the last one).<BR>I just hope it is a really great song. Something with a lot of emotion, and something really beautiful. I think it should be something more like "May it be" than "Gollum's Song", because I personally thought the first one was much more beautiful than the second.<P>Oh, and just to add, the theme song for ROTK has not been chosen (or it may have already been, but they just have not released the results to the public yet). If I hear any rumors I will be sure to post them here.<p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 07-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #5
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

All those artist would be perfect... Loreena McKennitt is one of my favorits. The May it be by Enya in fotr was nice but I liked Gollums Song better because it was so sad. I hope they make rotk even better!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The rumour so far is that it is probably called Arwen's Song, and Liv Tyler is singing it.<BR>Or that will be a song of Rotk, at least. Not necessarily the theme song, although it is highly likely.<p>[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 07-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

i heard something like that about arwen's song too. it was supposed to be in ttt but now it obviously appears in rotk.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #8
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hi newcomer ! I think Enya did a wonderful job in "May It Be" . But if to vote for the favorites I think Sarah Brightman would not be a bad choice . A really grate voice .
Old 07-04-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Even though this group is not part of that type of music genre, there is this song on Evanescense's CD that would go perfect with the movie. It's my favorite song called "My Immortal". As I listen to, I can see Sam. It's like the song takes Sam's feelings and puts it into song. But I highly doubt it would be the one.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 06:58 PM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I know this is a dumb question, but May It Be was sort of FOTR's theme song, correct? Then does that make Gollum's Song TTT's theme song? I thought that if you're thinking musical score, then TTT's would definitely be the Rohan theme played on the hardinger (Norwegian fiddle). Hehe, I like that word... hardinger....
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Hardinger... *giggles*<P>Yeh, they are the official theme songs, I suppose. If its on the credits, it usually is, I think. They wouldn't put anything else in such a prominent position.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:00 AM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes, "Gollum's Song" is the official Two Towers theme song. The theatrical DVD is going to have a Music Video for it. <P>Additionally I never thought that "Arwen's Song" was going to be the theme song. I was just thinking that it was going to be in the movie and that they were going to have a artist sing the song for the closing credits (though the soundtrack would probably get much more attention if it had a song by Rock Star Steven Tyler's daughter on it). Though it could fit in for the closing credits especially if at the very end of the movie they go over the end of Arwen and Aragorn's lives. It could express Arwen's sadness of leaving Arda after so long of a life there.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:10 AM   #13
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Britney Spears fo' sho'!<BR>Nah! <P>Ive heard the Liv Tyler story. And i think both theme songs so far have been great! but i do agree with Eruwen, that song by Evansecence is great, so i think it should be them who do it. But whoever does it, one thing is certain: THE SONG MUST HAVE A UNIQUE SOUND TO IT!.. The common thing between the two previous songs has been that they have both been unique...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:29 AM   #14
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Even though this group is not part of that type of music genre, there is this song on Evanescense's CD that would go perfect with the movie. It's my favorite song called "My Immortal". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That's exactly what I was thinking. I would absolutely love it if Amy Lee sang for ROTK, although it probably won't happen. Her voice is so beautiful; my mom says it reminds her of Judy Collins. Listening to that song makes me wish that Evanescence put more slow songs on their cd.<P>For all those who have not heard "My Immortal" yet, you can find a clip here: <A HREF="http://music.walmart.com/m/006/01/50/13/06/32/0060150130632.01.01.004.mp3" TARGET=_blank>RealOne Player</A> It's a real pretty song.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:28 AM   #15
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think the ROTK theme song should be about leaving and loss but continued hope... Does that make sense?<P>EDIT: Thanks for the link Brinniel!- that seems to fit really well with Frodo and the fact that he had to leave because of everything that had happened to him (wounds that cannot heal).<p>[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:43 PM   #16
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I don't like that song. It's not right for Lotr, either.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:44 PM   #17
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> that seems to fit really well with Frodo and the fact that he had to leave because of everything that had happened to him (wounds that cannot heal).<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm. Like Eruwen, I was thinking more on the terms of Sam, but I can see how the song fits for Frodo.<P>Lyric Examples:<P>Sam:<BR><I>When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears <BR>When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears <BR>And I've held you hand through all of these years <BR>But you still have all of me</I><P>Frodo:<BR><I>I'm so tired of being here <BR>Suppressed by all of my childish fears <BR>And if you have to leaave <BR>I wish that you would just leave <BR>Because your presence still lingers here And it won't leave me alone <P>These wounds won't seem to heal This pain is just too real <BR>There's just too much that time cannot erase</I><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't think Sarah Mac Gloclin (I know I didn't spell that right but I don't care) would be a bad choice either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree. Sarah McLachlan has this airy quality to her voice. I love it. <P>Has anyone heard of Beth Nielsen Chapman? She has a beautiful voice, though I'm not sure if it would entirely fit for Middle-earth.<BR>I also wouldn't mind if Sheila Chandra did another song for LOTR (especially if it were the theme song). She's one of my favorite artists.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:42 AM   #18
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

No, I think that Evanescence should do a different song for ROTK, one of a pervious album would not be as origional.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Well, of course. All the music for ROTK must be original (otherwise it wouldn't have a chance at the Oscars). But I still think it would be real great if Amy Lee (of Evanescence) sang the theme song. That is why I originally put up the link for "My Immortal"; to listen to her voice. Sorry, I guess I got sidetracked.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:32 AM   #20
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

yeah, i would LOVE to see Amy Lee do the song... Lets hope is any of the music people for RotK ever stumble across the forum they hear our cries!...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #21
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

It would be so cool it Amy Lee sang the song. I think My Imortal would be a perfect song. It is so amazing even though I only head a clip of it. I also think the corush of the song whisper is kingd of like it <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>don't turn away<BR>don't give in to the pain<BR>don't try to hide<BR>though they're screaming your name<BR>don't close your eyes<BR>God knows what lies behind them<BR>don't turn out the light<BR>never sleep never die<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>But that's just me <p>[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:49 AM   #22
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i may be the dinosaur in this group but i havent heard anyone bring up Yes. That was the background music for us fossils in the 70's when we were reading JRRT. "Awaken" was inspired by the Silm i believe......
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:33 AM   #23
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I actually thought I was the only one thinking that My Immortal would be perfect for RotK. Amy Lee's voice is just amazing in that song! And when I first heard it, I instantly remembered RotK. Weird, huh?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #24
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

i was reviewing the dvd of yessongs - what a flashback! lol<BR>I could swear that all those dudes have some elvish blood in them
Old 07-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #25
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have never heard of Yes before but I am checking them out now. Gotta check out anything inspired by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. My mom better not have know about them all this time and not told me...*shakes fist* Just joking. I just listened to My Immortal and to think of it in terms of Sam and Frodo brought tears to my eyes. It would be perfect for the end of ROTK.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:00 AM   #26
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

I've been searching on <A HREF="http://www.narada.com/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>narada.com</A> for some artists who I think should be considered for the ROTK soundtrack. Here are the artists I found:<P>Azam Ali: <A HREF="http://www.narada.com/audio/PortalsGrace/11390_01AMAB.ram" TARGET=_blank>RealOne Player</A><P>Altan: <A HREF="http://www.narada.com/audio/AnotherSky/48838-09AMAB.ram" TARGET=_blank>RealOne Player</A><P>Mary McLaughlin: <A HREF="http://www.narada.com/audio/FaireCelts/48733-04AMAB.ram" TARGET=_blank>RealOne Player</A> <P>And my favorite...<P>Sheila Chandra (she was featured in the TT soundtrack): <A HREF="http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~s-600111/0005072_0103_00_0002.ra" TARGET=_blank>RealOne Player</A>
Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #27
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

I found this on the one ring: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sven writes: I've just been watching an interview programme in Oz called "Enough Rope" with Andrew Denton. This evening one of his guests was Annie Lennox of "Eurythmics" fame. It was an engaging interview but of particular interest was her mention of spending the "last couple of days in studio" recording music that she's been invited to work on for "the next Lord Of The Rings film..". Looks like we'll be hearing her beautiful voice in ROTK. Can't wait! <P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe she will be singing the theme song.<P>Forever-Earwen<p>[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #28
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

My guess is that it will be a newly composed song for the theme.I've been sounding out melodies for ages now, and none that I have come up with have said "ROTK" to me. I am sooooo hopeless in composing music! Oh well, I can't wait to hear the song!<P>Nehani of the Forests

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:51 PM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I read on theonering that Annie Lennox was doing it.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #30
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That would be...interesting I guess. I think that Lorena McKennit would be awesome, but I also like that "Immortal" song (is that what it's called? ). I can't wait to hear the soundtrack though!! It's going to be great!
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #31
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

dunno about My Immortal but Awaken is from Yes' album entitled Going for the One
Old 08-15-2003, 03:23 AM   #32
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

You know who would be really bad singing the theme song?... Casey Chambers "true colours." oh gawd! that would be horrible...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #33
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Dear Eru, I hope it's not "Arwen's song". I would throw up right in the theater if I heard that...<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-22-2003, 05:06 AM   #34
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Arwen's song was a joke. (I think and hope)<P>And if Evanescence do the song for The Return Of The King I will scream with anger and horror.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #35
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I hope it's not a joke. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:49 AM   #36
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really liked Enya's preformance in FOTR I think she should do ROTK too, but if Annie Lennox can sing with a real Elvish air, (if ya know what i mean) then I'm cool with it!