The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2002, 11:47 AM   #1
legolas33

The Eye whats with that??

how come when ever frodo put the ring on you couldn't tell right from left?<BR>when bilbo put it on he just walked right up to bag end slipped it off and closed the door?and that one scene when frodo put it on to get away from borimir he climbed that statue and saw the eye?help me out here people.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:49 AM   #2
orc999

i have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

you got me the only thing i can guess is when sam put on the ring he discribes it as a foggy haze
Old 01-16-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
rhudladion

Sting

Ah, yet another downfall of the movie. One reason for frodo having a different experience with the ring is this: It was 17 years between the time Bilbo left the Party and Frodo took up the quest. (They didn't let you know this in the movie.) Therefore, by this point in time Sauron was searching for the ring and bending his power toward it, rendering the outcome of putting on the ring different for Frodo than for Bilbo. The eye was looking for his ring now, and was bent towards it much like a dog picking up the scent of his prey.<p>[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Rhudladion ]
Old 01-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #5
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I would say so too. But they could have been a little more clear on it.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

In the movie, the first time Frodo had the ring on was in Bree. It was in an envelope prior to that, so he wasn't experienced with the effects it had.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #7
rhudladion

Sting

Elrian, I think Legolas33's question is centered more around why the effect of the ring was different for Frodo than for Bilbo. I am inclined to think that the ring didn't take Bilbo into the "hazy realm" as it did Frodo. Legolas, is this correct or am I mistaken?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:40 AM   #8
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Both Gandulf and Frodo experienced the Eye when coming into contact with the ring (Gandulf when it was left on the floor by Bilbo when he left) Also, Frodo saw the Eye when looking into the mirror of Galadriel.<P>neither Gandult or Frodo were wearing the ring on these occasions yet the ring had grown in strength enough since Bilbos time to allow the eye to get through.<P>Well, thats my take on it
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
rhudladion

Sting

Again, it's not that the ring grew in strength; it's that Sauron was bending all his will towards finding it.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:23 AM   #10
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree with Rhudladion.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:38 PM   #11
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I was looking for a quote in the book and I came across this one, it might not mean much, but maybe even when Bilbo had the ring, Sauron was starting to bend his full will on it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> “It has been growing on my mind lately. Sometimes I have felt it was like an eye looking at me.”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Bilbo says this to Gandalf before he leaves the Shire.<P>But over the years , Sauron spent more and more of his power and will over searching for the ring. Hence the effect on Frodo, when he wears the ring.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:56 PM   #12
RHUDLADION

Sting

Excellent quote, Zifnab!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:11 PM   #13
Nazgul

Sting

Which ever one of you is using my old name stop now. And about the question I think it is bacause the ring wants to do what ever it can to not be destroyed.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:39 PM   #14
Dûrkriswen
Pile O'Bones

Dûrkriswen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

In the book, when you put on the ring, your sight becomes slightly dim, they seem to have exagerated that a lot in the movie. The reason Frodo saw the eye at the rock was because it was a special seat (I forget the name) where the kings of old could look out over all the surrounding land (including the realm of Sauron). Read the last few pages of the FOTR and you will read all that Frodo saw. Also, with the ring on so close to Mordor, Sauron was bound to feel its presence and come searching for it with his eye. In the book, however, Frodo "feels" the eye searching for him, rather than see it. The shire was far away from Mordor, and at the time Bilbo put it on, Sauron didn't have his eye turned that way. In the movie, the eye appears to Frodo at Bree, that should have been cut out, it doesn't fit with the book. So to put in short all that I just said, THE MOVIE IS MESSED UP! I hate it when they change stuff!!
Dûrkriswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:41 AM   #15
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dûrkriswen:<BR><STRONG>So to put in short all that I just said, THE MOVIE IS MESSED UP! I hate it when they change stuff!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As I say to everyone who says this: "Get over it, you'll never be able to have a movie that is exactly true to the book"<BR>Learn how movies work and you'll know why.<P>Besides, I think it would be different for Frodo, because Sauron is watching him AND he knows Frodo is trying to destroy the ring. Bilbo didn't even know what the ring really was, neither did Gollum.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote