The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
nenohantar

Tolkien book vs movie

the book was better
Old 07-26-2002, 06:30 PM   #2
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
The Eye

The movie was v. great visually and musically, but they butchered the story somewhat. The book was great too, and allowed you to use your imagination. Plus nothing was cut out or added on to it because it was the original.

I like both the book and the movie equally.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i tend to agree with The Fifth(though it's never wise to upset a ringwraith-i've heard they've nasty tempers...)
Old 07-26-2002, 10:18 PM   #4
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

No. I'm with nenohantar. No matter how good I don't think movies can ever compare to the books they're based on. Especially not LotR. There's simply too much in the books. The movie loses too much in translation. Tho they did an incredible job wi it. The only things that the movie did have that could've used some improvement was the casting of Elrond (sorry, good actor, but he doesn't look like an elf!) and Galadriel. But that's just a personnal opinion anyhow. Fortunately we now have both! Now they just need to come out wi the next 2 movies...
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They're so different that you can't compare them.I mean, a movie, even a three hour one, is meant to be short, enjoyed in one blast, and then over. A book is meant to be enjoyed slower. It's not that the books are better, just that they're completely different. I would always enjoy the books more.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:44 PM   #6
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

Well, that was subtle, nenohantar. And completely agree with you. The movies, while they are great image to give color to the words Tolkien already wrote, they do not compare to them. i mean, PJ did a wonderful job, and i give him full marks, but the books are truly the best. i remember the first time I read them, it was sooo awesome, and full of life. I can't wait for TTT to come out, so that i can put pictures to the book, just cause i like to, lol.
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:55 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the main reason that there is so much conflict and satisfaction in some minds between the movie and book is because this is Tolkien. Tolkien was always so descriptive of the scenery that he comes much closer to playing a movie for the reader (than other authors)...it's just that the movie isn't long enough to include all he written.

In that sense, the books could be easily translated to a movie because it's a script in itself. The books don't leave so much for personal interpretation (mainly visualization that I'm speaking of) like so many others do, therefore when put to film, any alteration will immediately be frowned upon.

The leaving out of parts the author wrote (Old Man Willow, Bombadil, Barrow-Downs) bothers me but is more acceptable than altering what he wrote, modifying it to fit popular culture.

I could've hurled when I saw Arwen in the place of Glorfindel.

*holds stomach*

Someone said she'd also be at Helm's Deep; is this true?

*blows chunks*

I prefer the books, though I do still like the movies. Something about seeing certain moments make it all too real, like the Argonath, for instance. The book, too, has these moments though, and they seem to be more plentiful. Perhaps because I read them first.

In any event, I recommend you do the same, even if you saw The Fellowship of the Ring in theatres first.

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 07-28-2002, 07:27 AM   #8
Arwen Undómiel
Pile O'Bones

Arwen Undómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of Course the book is better!! But is always nice to see what you read in film [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 02:17 PM   #9
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've heard Arwen is at Helms Deep too. Apparently (I'm not sure so don't quote me on this!) her and Elrond flee Rivendell to Lothlorien. Then Arwen leads a band of Elves to Helms Deep to help and all the Elves die except her! Now, I don't know about the rest of you but that just seems wrong! Wrong because Elrond would never flee Rivendell and wrong because the Elves (save Legolas, Elrohir, Elladan e.t.c.) are not meant to be involved in the War of the Ring! Tell me if I'm wrong though! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Anyway, just thought you'd like to know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I answer to the actual question, I'd agree that you can't really compare the books and the movies. They are both good in their own ways. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #10
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I believe that the books and the movies can be compared, but that the answer depends on the person. I also believe that to make a judgement on the movies having seen only one and comparing that one to the three (or possibly more) books that we have would be unfair.

Personally I think that the books are always superior to a Movie made of them, unless the book came after the movie and was a story based on the film. I think it is to do with originallity. When you read words you paint a picture in your head of all the characters and places, but when you see a film you see pictures of others imaginations and this can lead to disappointment. That disappointment however is not down to anyone involved in making the film, as i'm sure that if I were to make a film, my interpretations of the text would be very different to most others who would want to see it.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:44 PM   #11
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the movie was good. i understood it better.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:55 PM   #12
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
ya, the movie was kind of eaiser to understand, but you know, movies cant be really confusing or no one will watch them! except crazy ppl like me)
the book was an amazing book, and the movie was an amazing movie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 02:59 PM   #13
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I loved the book. It was sooo good. And for about 6 months I thought the book was better. Until now. I don't know why, but my opinion has somewhat changed.

I mean, yeah. The movie can NEVER even remotely campare to the great wonders of the book. But, personally, I hate reading. It was these books that got me actually reading again. But I think I like watching the story on a tv or theater screen better than seeing it in my head. {If you understand that.}

Anway, my point is, sometimes my imagination doesn't give the book as much credit as it deserves while I'm picturing it in my head. That's why I like watching the movie. Cause it's like I'm seeing Tolkien's imagination come to life and not my own. He can picture it way better than I can. And that is why I like to "watch" the story instead of read it.

Ok. I have talked way too long. If anyone understands what I have said, then you are very smart. Cause I don't think I made a bit of sense. Anyway, I'm done now.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:00 PM   #14
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

im gonna be honest.

the book was crap.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:07 PM   #15
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
the book was crap
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] are you serious?
Old 07-30-2002, 03:08 PM   #16
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

yup.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] you crazy
Old 07-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #18
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

i dont like things i cant understand

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #19
Brionna
Pile O'Bones

Brionna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think SOMEONE is just trying to get "Tolkienites" all riled up.

As for me, of course, of course the book is better than the movie. Can anyone think of an instance when this wasn't true? I think that the movie was very accurate in capturing the spirit of the book.

Visually stunning, elegant and powerful- good times! The only real issue I took with the movie was the beefing up of Arwen's part. But then, every Hollywood movie needs a little romance, and if LOTR lacks in any area, it would be there.
Brionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:22 PM   #20
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

no im not. and my name is mystra, not someone. and if rimbaud is here, im sorry i lost my temper, and how long am i banned for?

*bursts into tears and grovels

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:39 PM   #21
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Quote:
of course the book is better than the movie. Can anyone think of an instance when this wasn't true?
Yes. Forrest Gump. I liked the movie, but the book was terrible.

Tell us why you didn't like it, mystra. Flat saying it's bad doesn't tell us anything.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:40 AM   #22
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

i said why i didnt like it.

i didnt understand it.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:26 AM   #23
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

oooh ouch stephanos!

well i luv the movie (not slightly becos one of the actors if fine...elwood elwood elwood...) but there is the obvious thing in the movie that u all seem to have somehow overlooked-

The barrowdowns was completely left out of the movie!

ps. Stephanos- where did u get ure pic or is it someone u know?
pps. how did u get to be a moderator so soon?

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 08-01-2002, 10:49 PM   #24
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw FotR in the theatres before I started reading the books, and I having seen FotR before reading it, I didn't enjoy it as much as when I read TTT and RotK. However, i can't sit down and read an entire LotR book in 3 hours, so I think the movies are good for a solid blast of Middle-earth when ever I feel the need for it.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:06 AM   #25
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

That thing about Arwen fleeing Rivendell for helm's deep must be wrong. I know that she's in the next movie, despite not being in the book, but wouldn't PJ get lynched if he tried that? I mean, enough people got angry when he replaced glorfindel with her (which i reckon was good, anyway) but he wouldn't make her like some kind of general. At least I hope he doesn't. It would ruin that bit for me if he did.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:49 AM   #26
TheGentleman

Sting

Shadow of Udûn suggested that you cannot compare the two, Gorothlammothiel suggested that you can. This is a classic example of arguing the wrong point. People these days are too involved in seeing whether or not they can, they do not stop to think whether they should. A valid, fair, and comprehensive comparison of the two works may well be possible, but why even attempt it? What would be gained from the analysis?

Surely the two deserve to be judge on their own merit? Considering the time Tolkien put into LotR it should be judge as an individual’s unique work; conversely, considering the thousands of people involved in the creation of the LotR film (the actors, film crew, make-up artists, musicians, designers) it should be judged as a unique group effort. In my view a comparison of the two is moot.

I agree that you can judge the film on its reflection of the book, Tolkien did this himself with the Ralf Bakshi film (and was rather scathing). This is not a comparison, rather a critique. What Tolkien did was give his (authoritive) opinion on where the film failed in its portrayal of his book, he did not do this in order to announce that “it wasn’t as good as the book”, he was simply judging the film on its own (poor) merits.

Mystra makes a perfectly valid point, she(?) just doesn’t make it very well. For me, LotR stands the test of time because of the story and the values inherent within, not because of the writing style. I am as big a fan of Tolkien as anyone here but I only read it now (I’ve read it every year for the past 8 years) out of loyalty and love of the story. If I were honest I enjoy reading the latest King/Herbert/Koontz/Pratchett/Lumley/Reilly more. I would be insterested in learning what exactly Mystra did not understand. I would deduce however that the LotR was purhaps a little too mature for her(?).

Fandom is a strange thing; it makes us almost irrational in our analysis of anything even slightly related to the world we have adopted. Remember that he who breaks a thing just to find out how it works has left the path of wisdom…

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]
Old 08-02-2002, 12:32 PM   #27
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Book. end of discussion. (for me)

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:17 PM   #28
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White-Hand

The Book of course. PJ imagination could never rival that of JRRT.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:32 AM   #29
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes, the bit on the elves fleeing rivendell makes no sense-yet, there will be a shadow of doubt in the back of my mind til i see TTT myself-what i heard before this was that Narsil would be reforged in TTT(something that happened in book 1 but wasn't seen in the FOTR movie itself) and Arwen would bring it to Aragorn. but if the above rumor is true...et tu, PJ?
Old 08-12-2002, 05:01 AM   #30
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just wanted to say, I don't know whether the Arwen thing is actually true! That's just what I heard! It might be, it might not! We'll just have to wait and see!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2002, 03:04 PM   #31
Duramarthiel

Ring

Ah! Book VS Movie.

Hmm... Well Tolkien was very very very descriptive in the book, something that is much better interpreted through movies. So much description that I got bored at times! Watching the movie, you could just observe it... I wasn't bored for a SECOND with the movie.

I know that they changed a lot of things, but I believe that the change of Arwen's character was a pretty good one. After all, when I was reading the books, they only had about one or two mentions of Arwen until you find out her and Aragorn get married. I didn't know who the HECK she was! To include her more was a pretty good thing...

Over all-- The movies ruled, the bookes ruled, it all ruled.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #32
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Ring ruled Duramarthiel [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the downs, may your rest be long and peaceful. An eternity amongst your fellow downers is not long enough! Enjoy your time here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: Gorothlammothiel ]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote