The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Question favorite main Hobbit character

Whom do you guys like better, Bilbo (main character of The Hobbit), or Frodo (main character of Lord of the Rings)? I thought it would be interesting to see which main hobbit character was more popular. I would set this as a poll, but I'm not really sure how to make polls.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Frodo.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Ring

Since not everyone seems to have internet access
at the moment, this response is forwarded.

"We hates Thief Baggins!. We hates him forever!
Nice Smeagol likes the good hobbit (Master Frodo), gollum... gollum..."
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
R.
Animated Skeleton

R. has just left Hobbiton.
I was never crazy about Frodo. That said i always thought Bilbo was great my favorite character.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Definitely Bilbo, for me. I always liked how unprepared and unwilling he was for his 'adventure' before gradually settling into it and eventually becoming quite good at it, whereas, to me, Frodo always seemed to accept it from the beginning as soon as Gandalf told him, and I just didn't find that as entertaining.
Maedhros_the_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favorite out of the two Hobbits is Bilbo, so that currently makes it:

Bilbo: 3
Frodo: 2
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My opinion is: *dum dum dum* Bilbo!

A much better hero in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What makes both of these hobbits amazing is that they were both chosen for something that did not concern them and came out of their adventures victorious!

Bilbo's adventure is an amazing tale of self sacrifice and loyalty. However, Frodo's adventure is one on an even greater epic scale! Frodo actually was wounded and had troubles far greater than being eaten by Gollum (that was one of his problems too). Frodo in my opinion is the ultimate hobbit, sacrificing himself for something he loved, and ends up leaving it all in the end.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Bilbo does well, but he never experiences the suffering Frodo has to go through. Frodo for me.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Bilbo gave up the ring of his own free will - something even Frodo could not do, But, to be fair, Frodo's test was much harder (I take it the ring's power grew with proximity to Sauron) and so there can't really be any comparison. They are both similarly endearing and unexpectedly strong - Frodo, as Groin says, on a greater scale.

That said, the movies kind of ruined Frodo for me, sadly. That wide-eyed teenager was not Frodo, and now my original Frodo seems to have vanished from my mind.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
But Bilbo didn't have the pressure of all the free peopels of ME on him, and he did it voluntarily (Well, not exactly). Also, he almost managed to stop a battle. Frodo, if anything, didn't do that (In fact, I'm pretty sure he started at least one, or at least, it was beause of him).
Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Frodo is a much better character in my opinion. Bilbo doesn't suffer like Frodo does. Frodo's story is so much more interesting than Bilbo's - although they are both part of a whole - they can be treated seperately.

Once Bilbo jumped into his adventure after his initial sluggish ways he jumped right in, right? Frodo was reluctant all along, but performed his duty nonetheless. I think Frodo is a deeper character.