The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Hearing inconsistencies

Besides the visual inconsistencies (being discussed in another thread) there were a few "hearing inconsistencies" I noticed. One being when in ROTK, Faramir asks his father "you wish that our lives had been switched, that Boromir had lived..etc," Denethor "Yes, I wish that." Then, I ask, why in TTT Extended Edition did Denethor tell Boromir to go to Rivendell? First of it was totally opposite from the book, second why send Boromir? Was this PJ just trying to show Denethor's early "craziness" or was it that PJ just kind of forgot the script of TTT? The other one I could think of was when Pippin had just looked into the Palantir and Gandalf decided to ride to Minas Tirith. Gandalf said "it's 3 days as the nazgul flies...etc." First it took Gandalf and Pippin 3 days to get there just riding, so that would me the nazgul flying would definately take less. If there are any others anyone noticed, please share them.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

well gandalf had shadowfax and second Framir said you now wish Denetor had originally wished for boromir to go now he regrets it
Old 07-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Denethor held Boromir higher then all the rest, with this council at rivendell, he wanted Boromir to take the ring and return it to Gondor, Denethor beleive that boromir is the best basically...
Old 07-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

To add on Gil-Galad's though, Denethor probably believed Faramir wasn't worthy enough to bring back a gift as mighty as the ring. Denethor thought Boromir more reliable. He had no idea he was sending he son to his death, so it seemed like a great idea. (except from Faramir's P.O.V. )
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

The way I see it, Denethor didn't trust Faramir to bring the Ring back to him. He knew Faramir was more akin to his mother, but Boromir shared the love of battle and power as his father.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Denethor pretty much viewed Faramir as less worthy than Boromir. When he said that line, he didn't mean that he wished he had sent Faramir in the first place, but simply that Boromir, his favorite son, had lived and Faramir, the lesser, had died. Although both brothers held great love for Minas Tirith and Gondor, Boromir was more of the warrior type, while Faramir strikes me as a bit more scholarly.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! very true

Encaintare yes Boromir is more of a warrior and cared nothing for lore. All he truely cared about was the survival of Gondor. Faramir on the other hand was more like his dad, he was smarter, and was much wiser in lore.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Flight time

It's pretty obvious Denethor favored Boromir and would love to take him back and have Faramir gone forever. It's pretty pathetic though that he sent his remaining son to his death because of that.

As far as the 'nazgul flies', he just meant in a straight path. When we say fifty miles as the crow flies, we mean fifty miles straight there. But, alas, roads don't always take us where we straight to where want to go(sometimes quite the opposite ), so it invarialbe takes more than fifty miles to reach our destination. Gandalf was simply stating 'It'll take us three days going straight there, provided no sidetracking or pitstops'.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #9
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Besides the visual inconsistencies (being discussed in another thread) there were a few "hearing inconsistencies" I noticed. One being when in ROTK, Faramir asks his father "you wish that our lives had been switched, that Boromir had lived..etc," Denethor "Yes, I wish that." Then, I ask, why in TTT Extended Edition did Denethor tell Boromir to go to Rivendell? First of it was totally opposite from the book, second why send Boromir? Was this PJ just trying to show Denethor's early "craziness" or was it that PJ just kind of forgot the script of TTT? The other one I could think of was when Pippin had just looked into the Palantir and Gandalf decided to ride to Minas Tirith. Gandalf said "it's 3 days as the nazgul flies...etc." First it took Gandalf and Pippin 3 days to get there just riding, so that would me the nazgul flying would definately take less. If there are any others anyone noticed, please share them.
1)Doesn't the fact that Denethor sends Boromir to an important council at Rivendell make it logical that he is considered the 'Alpha-son'?

2)Shadowfax is really fast. hahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
As far as the 'nazgul flies', he just meant in a straight path. When we say fifty miles as the crow flies, we mean fifty miles straight there. But, alas, roads don't always take us where we straight to where want to go(sometimes quite the opposite ), so it invarialbe takes more than fifty miles to reach our destination. Gandalf was simply stating 'It'll take us three days going straight there, provided no sidetracking or pitstops'.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
The other one I could think of was when Pippin had just looked into the Palantir and Gandalf decided to ride to Minas Tirith. Gandalf said "it's 3 days as the nazgul flies...etc." First it took Gandalf and Pippin 3 days to get there just riding, so that would me the nazgul flying would definately take less. If there are any others anyone noticed, please share them.
Here's another one that involves Gandalf and Pippin: On the balcony, Gandalf says "Sauron has yet to release his greatest weapon…the Witch-King of Angmar. You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop." But wait, if Sauron hadn't unleashed him yet, why was he there to attack Frodo?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #11
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Although I do not believe that PJ and the other screenwriters quite realized that they had made this little mistake, it could be argued that the "release" of the Witch King refers more to his finally revealing all of his power, as opposed to his having ever been to Middle Earth. I'm sure that Sauron had his own plans to "surprise" his enemies by finally alowing the Witch King to reveal himself. Aragorn acted in a much similar way. He did not "introduce" himself (or was not "released") as the true King of Gondor until he looks into the Palantir. But he was still around before then, fighting orcs and other evils, though he had yet to claim himself.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #12
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Back to something someone said earlier about that the Nazgul should get to Minas Tirith much faster than Gandalf. This is true but when Pippin looked in the palantir and they set off Sauron would still assume that they were in Edoras so the Nazgul would be sent there rather than to Minas Tirith. Sauron would then not know where Pippin was so it would fit that Pippin and Gandalf would reach it first.