The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
Brian Sibley
Haunting Spirit

Brian Sibley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Now, I note from checking my first edition copies that Hithaeglin only appears on the First edition maps, & was corrected to Hithaeglir for the Second Edition - so, were you working from the First Edition map or was that just an interesting typo on the list you sent CT?
I was working from the 2nd Impression of the Second Edition (1967) and the map in that edition shows Hithaeglir as Hithaiglin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
I did read somewhere that LotR is the most requested programme for a repeat on Radio 7. I don't expect to hear the series broadcast again, sadly the BBC seems to be a lot less adventurous as regards radio drama these days. I doubt they'd commision anything like LotR again. Puts paid to my dream of a Silmarillion dramatisation - or even a Children of Hurin...
A few years ago, I had a short-lived discussion with the BBC about The Silmarillion when they were thinking of having a Tolkien Day with sections of TS broadcast throughout the day. It came to nothing...
Brian Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sibley View Post
I was working from the 2nd Impression of the Second Edition (1967) and the map in that edition shows Hithaeglir as Hithaiglin.
Yes - my mistake. I've re-checked my copies - in my 1965 First edition (& no, for the pedants out there its not a first/first, but it is the first ed. text & map) the map shows Hithaiglin, & also in my second ed. Two Towers from 1969 its Hithaiglin (as also in my 1976 paperback set - which was the first copy of LotR I bought). Its Hithaeglir in the Alan Lee illustrated deluxe ed - which was the 2nd edition copy I checked for comparison - but I think the correction might have been made originally in the re-drawn map which CT did for Unfinished Tales in 1981.

Er....sorry everybody for that rather dull digression......
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Episode 4: The Ring Goes South

Transcript: http://www.tolkienradio.com/ringgoessouth.html

I love this episode. We begin in the peace & security of Rvendell & end in the darkness & horror of Moria. Along the way we pass through Hollin, suffer the attack of Wargs, struggle through the snows of Caradhras & face the long dark of Moria.

Again, so much of the power of the drama comes from the use of Tolkien's own words, both via narration & dialogue. I particularly liked the gathering of the Fellowship scene . We get the sense that Elrond is facing a truly painful decision (though as with the book we aren't told why, exactly, he feels the need to choose nine companions, rather than 5, 10, or a nice round dozen!). The scene between Frodo & Bilbo, and particularly Frodo's awkward expression of gratitude to Bilbo for everything he has done for him (clearly extending right back to his adopting him after his parents' deaths) is quite beautiful. You get the sense that he's never actually said thankyou before - well, not in words (typically English - as is Bilbo's response - telling him not to mention it), but he knows this may be the last time they get the chance to say it.

One thing I liked was the way Gandalf's determination to get the Company into Moria was constantly played up - he is clearly steering them that way, & grabbing every opportunity to get the idea into the forefront of their minds. He wants them all to go through the Mines - as if he is aware that his destiny lies that way.

Another thing: Gimli. A person rather than comic relief. He is full of old lore & the wisdom of his folk. He chants the Song of Durin - & Sam is enthralled. In fact, what I love about this adaptation is that all the characters are given the chance to reveal their characters (often via little scenes or asides & comments). Sam's little comments to Bill are nice & really bring home how much he cares about him. His grief over the death of Balin, & the state to which Moria has come is subtly done but quite heartbreaking.

Anyway, as this is by way of an introduction to our discussion of the episode I'll keep it short. The only other thing I wanted to mention was the Balrog confrontation. David Collings was amazing - the sheer terror in his cry as the Balrog appeared was heart-stopping, & communicates to the audience a whole hidden history. Even a listener who does not know what a Balrog is (we are given no explanation of what it is, & no description of what it looks like), knows that this is the ultimate manifestation of destructive evil & sheer horror - the actors' voices convey that perfectly.

So, off we go....
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Time

Well I listen to this section and started the next one today on the drive home. My son has confirmed Influenza Type A so I don't have a lot of time right now (want to make sure he is ok, and he is watching the Extended Two Towers so I can sit with him through that) and the post I had spent 10 minutes putting together became lost as my MacBook Pro lost connection with my wireless adapter (I need to buy a new wireless adapter to work with the one in the MacBook Pro). So I'll post on this section tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've seen that someone posted on this thread on the 'alternate universe' version of the forum - I can't get there, so hopefully this will be seen and read. It is difficult to get a coherent discussion together, so it might be wise to wait until this glitch is fixed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I've seen that someone posted on this thread on the 'alternate universe' version of the forum - I can't get there, so hopefully this will be seen and read. It is difficult to get a coherent discussion together, so it might be wise to wait until this glitch is fixed.
try http://barrowdowns.com/
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Am I posting . . . ?

Hello, I feel like the Def Leopard song "Foolin" at least this part:

"I realized that . . .
Is anybody out there, anybody there
Does anybody wonder, anybody care
Oh, I just gotta know
If youre really there and you really care"

So this is a test to see if this post sticks . . .

I'm probably not going to post on this until I know the posts are sticking. I noticed that Brian's new post has been deleted as well.

Last edited by ArathornJax; 03-10-2008 at 11:56 AM.
ArathornJax is offline   Reply With Quote