The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #321
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

During marching band practice when my director wants us to go through the set we just learned, he says "do the move". I always hear it as 'Do the wave!', and the first few times I yelled out "for Boromir the Disco King!" And y'know what the funniest thing about it is? The song we're playing for halftime show is 'Disco Inferno'!

Quote:
Burn Borri Burn! Disco inferno! Burn Borri Burn! Boromir the Disco King! I'm still Doing The WAVE!!
Thanks for that, Naurwen_of_Lothlorien, now I crack up every time we practice it in rehearsal. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 PM   #322
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

you squeel with delight everytime someone replies to your post or you get a PM
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:21 PM   #323
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Quote:
you squeel with delight everytime someone replies to your post or you get a PM
Heh heh...yep. That's me...

This one goes out to Sapphire_Flame: I've been on here so much that I've been catching myself saying "snork" on several occations... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] That gives me two points; one for quoting you, and another for doing the whole *asterick action* thing...

Heh heh heh... I love you guys *big hug*
Old 09-13-2003, 06:08 AM   #324
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You know you're obsessed when you enter www.barrowdowns.com as your homepage in forms - not because it is your homepage, but because it's your home... Not that I do that of course... *whistles* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And you might also be slightly obsessed when you spend more time trying to solve mr. BW and Sharkú's crosswords than doing your homework... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #325
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
I love you guys *big hug*
*hugs!*

I am begining to frighten myself. (see "epitaphs" for my latest action of addiction.)
Old 09-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #326
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

When your mom is telling you to get off the 'downs, and says "stop acting like an addict or you'll be kicked off permanently"(scary thought) and you reply "I'm not acting like an addict" while thinking, "I am one, I don't have to act."
Old 09-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #327
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American. There's just too many of you Europeans here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #328
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

You have a discussion about seafood with your friends and manage to say, 'whatever floats your oyster' and 'wave kings at boromir the disco squid'
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #329
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

When you write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" all over the book cover on your US History AP book, and your very Mexican teacher walks over, looks at it, and goes back to his desk looking confused. (No offense against Mexicans! I love those people!)
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #330
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American.
hehehe I do that all the time! My teachers circle the words and write a bunch of question makrs near it. It is pretty funny.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:35 PM   #331
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

--When you daydream about being like Cuthalion and Maikadilwen or burrahobbit and obloquy and meeting your true love on the site.

--When you make a pair of earrings in black and green and plan to wear them everywhere, hoping that someone will recognize the BD colors.

--When you convince two people who had never heard of the Downs to join just on your say-so.

--When you revive this thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #332
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

When you convince most of the 11th grade at your school to dress as Hobbits next Monday to celebrate Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday, bring a cake, and get your friend who is a DJ on the radio station to announce, "Do the
Wave for Boromir the Disco King! Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo!" on the radio station during lunch.

*rubs hands together and grins evilly* Ahhhh, connections, connections! What would we do without them?? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:44 AM   #333
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
When you convince two people who had never heard of the Downs to join just on your say-so.
I'm currently in the process of doing something similar to that.

I just met a girl in my Geometry class who's is just as obesessed as I. When she showed me her One Ring, her LOTR covered notebook, and the FOTR book she was rereading, and then told me she once attempted learning Elvish, I immediately wrote down the BD website on her notebook. She seemed interested in checking out this site, so now I just have to convince her to visit it and register.

Quote:
When you convince most of the 11th grade at your school to dress as Hobbits next Monday to celebrate Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday
This week is homecoming week at my school and every day we have to dress up as something different. I should have convinced student council to make Monday Hobbit Day. Unfortunately, it's too late for that. Monday is Hawaiian Day. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2003, 02:00 PM   #334
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Monday is Hawaiian Day.
So be a Hawaiian Hobbit. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

--When you literally can't stop talking about the Downs.

--When the week you were grounded from the computer was the worst week of your life.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:26 PM   #335
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

When you wake up at six in the morning today to celebrate the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo, by making French toast in the shape of rings, and writing "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King" on them with vanilla icing, and your dad walks by, steals one, and tells you that a better present for them would be to get a life.

(He actually liked them, I swear!)
Old 09-22-2003, 02:50 PM   #336
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When you see that your friend has finally posted on the downs you scream, drop the
keyboard and run around the house for the next ten minutes screaming. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #337
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

--When you sneak on to the downs in the middle of your economics class, while ostensibly looking up statistics on Belgium and Nigeria.

--When you write DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING in random places.

--When you plot to put in a reference to squid on one of the posters for sci-fi club, hoping that a BDer will get the reference to Boromir.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:05 AM   #338
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

When you shout "DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!!!" as a result of a social command on a mud RPG that you occasionally frequent. You are 'noshouted' as a result, but you don't care.

When you recomment BD to any and every fantasy fan you meet.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #339
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

~ When you pretend to be taking notes in class, but you are actually writing posts. (I wrote four posts in class today, including this one.)
Old 10-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #340
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

-When you haven't even been here long and you already come here everyday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-When you giggle at anything that says "flammable" because it reminds you of Meela and Denethor [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-When you stole a balloon from the pep rally and wrote all over it "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" and get funny looks from people who read it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I really like this smilie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #341
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

-When you kelebrate that last post, thankful of the converts [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Downs, Elwen_starmaiden, and enjoy being dead!

*That was my first time saying that, and boy did it feel good!*
Old 10-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #342
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

- When you write epic LotR-related poetry in your Spanish class instead of listening to the teacher and reviewing for your 1st Quarter Exam.

- When said teacher threatens to take away the notebook in which you are writing, and your face develops an expression remarkably similar to Gollum's when he sees the Ring around Frodo's neck for the first time.

(Needless to say, my Spanish teacher backed off!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img])

- When you meet a fellow LotR fan at the beach because you're walking in the surf singing "To the Sea" and suddenly this voice joins in with yours, and you meet another fan.

- When you pretend to be studying for your 1st Quarter Exams, but instead are posting in this thread.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #343
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Needless to say, my Spanish teacher backed off
We wants try try that, yesss... Not that I've got Spanish, but hopefully it works at French teachers as well [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I also think I counts as slightly obsessive when you actually walk all over Oslo to find a store that sells prostetic elf ears, even though you know you can't afford them, all the while thinking about how much this'll improve your RtR mileage...

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 10-11-2003, 01:51 PM   #344
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I think I'm in trouble, I just re-read the first half of this thread just to find some comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one who's dangerously addicted. I think there might even be people who are more addicted than me.. But since page 2 I've also learnt how to spell Marileangorifurnimaluim, Eärendil [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your quotes still trouble me though... You do know we wanted to rename the thread, to name it after you?
Old 10-11-2003, 04:31 PM   #345
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When your posts are just questions asking about in jokes. Speaking of that, where did the meela-denethor thing start? I feel really stupid right now. I just found out about Boromir the Disco King a week ago.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #346
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

When you giggle like a maniac whenever someone mentions "Denethor" or "fire."

When you tell your teachers you have a project to work on, just so you can get a pass to go to the school library to get on the Downs.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:29 PM   #347
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I've only read this page on the thread, so if this one's been posted before, please don't shoot me!!

When you put as your signature in other LotR message boards, 'Do the wave for Boromir the disco king,' in hopes of finding another Downie there, or making some converts [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 01:44 AM   #348
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

The Boromir the Disco King-thing is really mad [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I never read the thread where it came from, I don't really know what it's all about, but I picture Boromir dancing all the time. Yesterday a guy in my class pretended to do some disco dancing, and I started giggling hysterically.. He suddenly stopped dancing [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #349
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

the only way I can do me homework is: do a problem, read a post, do a problem, read a post hehe
Old 10-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #350
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

When you are talking about the 'downs, and your guy-friend says "Is it a bad thing that I don't go to freaky obsessive websites?" and before he finishes the sentence you yell "YES!" Scared him pretty bad, I did, yes, preciousss... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 05:43 PM   #351
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

You see a lisence plate with 'PFC' on it, and you instantly think 'Purplefluffychainsaw!' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 07:57 PM   #352
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

not sure if something like this has been done, but:

If ever the barrow downs is not working, you start freaking out, are really snappy, and bite your nails, possibly pulling out hair, because you are unable to visit one of the best forums ever!!!

yup something like that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #353
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow that really describes me... Hehe
Old 10-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #354
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Boots

Quote:
--When the week you were grounded from the computer was the worst week of your life.
Actually its the worst time of your life when your phone company sets your internet limit to 8 free hours a month.Then your computer's harddrive decides to crash preventing you to have no internet, no Downs', and no Middle Earth Mirth for a whole month.Yes people I just got through enduring this.I got my new computer yesterday, and this is my first offical post on the Downs' in over a month. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Black, Green, and a Computer Screen,
Vuelve

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: Vuelve ]
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:03 PM   #355
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

-When you see 'PM' you think 'private message' rather than 'afternoon.'
Old 12-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #356
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American.
I've done that.. & on English papers, too! I'm waiting to get me papers back.. I think I wrote something once when I used "me" like just did & it got marked on [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #357
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yeah... I got points off a lot of assignments in typing class for using European spelling. My stupid teacher doesn't know about it. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Or, I should say didn't know about it, as I informed her. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 08:08 AM   #358
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I guess you're addicted to the 'Downs when you say, "I'll be a Ghost Prince before 2004!"

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod

P.S. Well what did you know...I am a Ghost Prince!
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #359
Catlyn21
Pile O'Bones

Location: Probably stalking Orlando. Or Viggo. Or Dom. Or Johnny Depp, for that matter.
Catlyn21 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This thread is hysterical!

Okay, my pitiful contribution:

*After just 1 day of being on this site, you're instantly hooked

*When you spend thousands of dollars buying a new computer so that Barrowdowns will load faster

*You wake up at 11am, go see ROTK for the fourth time, come home, log onto Barrowdowns, and at approx. 11pm you realize that all you've had to eat the entire day was 1/2 a bag of greasy, buttery popcorn. You then realize that food is no longer important, and stay on til about 12:30. **my life story**

*Sleep? What is this "sleep" you speak of? We of this age know nothing of "sleep." The only proper use for that word is when it is proceeded by "I'll catch up on my" and followed by "in study hall." And that's only if you can't get to the library to use the computers!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

< I just realized my location makes me sound like a total fangirl........
Catlyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:59 AM   #360
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read this thread when I first joined BD this summer, and thought, "This is gonna be me, isn't it?" I bet after these past four months I can come up with ten signs, no sweat. All of these are taken from real experience, except #2. When I get to #2, it's time to check myself into the loony bin. (Or dump my boyfriend. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

1. Your friends limit you to one Barrowdowns related exclamation per day.

2. Barrowdowns takes precedence over calling your boyfriend.

3. You've redecorated your room in Black, Green, and Gold to make you feel more at home.

4. You need more school notebooks halfway through the semester, not because your classes have covered that much information, but because you've written that many posts in the back of your notebooks.

5. You're not only familiar with the terms "Legolover" and "Leggybopper", you've applied them in real life.

6. The only time you're not on the Barrows is when you're reading Tolkien's books, or Walking to Rivendell.

7. Your spell checker is filled with Elvish words.

8. You carry on a lengthily hypothetical discussion with your friends, never revealing to them that the hypothetocity is in fact your latest RPG situation.

9. Everything you see reminds you of someone on barrowdowns. (Pepsi Blue, Fire, Disco anything, the Wave, Enni Minne Minny Moe...)

10. You carry a notebook with you everywhere, in case you think of another top ten sign.