The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #41
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
The 'spammer/user' thing is spreading to other sites as well. I have a 'friend' on facebook who keeps sending me these offers for cheap vintage jewellery but is perfectly civil the rest of the time. What's going on here? Is there a massive spamming conspiracy happening?
Hacked account. Tell your friend that this is happening, so they change their password.

This could happen on BD as well, I guess - I mean, if it already happens on Twitter... Keeping our passwords nice and complicated is always a good policy in general.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #42
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Three in a row... that's bad.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #43
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
And another three in a row. Goodness me...

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #44
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

We should at least have fun with it; otherwise it'll drive us mad.

Ask yourself: What would Turgon do?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #45
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Ask yourself: What would Turgon do?
Once they had found their way to his hidden city unbidden, I believe the usual procedure was to keep them there for the rest of their lives. Doesn't really seem like what we'd want to do.
Then again, if they became a nuisance, he'd send them bungee-jumping off Caragdûr without a rope. That sounds more attractive.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #46
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I was suggesting the rather drastic step of building very large walls around this city.

Those who wish to join would have to get past the eagles.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #47
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Or let's get a nice little Melian-ish fence around us, preciousss!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #48
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, a lot of these idjits are Trolls, here to disrupt rather than sell spam (which is why they should be ignored and left to be deleted by the moderators). Perhaps if we could find a way to get them to crawl out of their dark holes and into the sunlight, they'd turn to stone and save us a lot of time in building the walls.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #49
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Some of these spammers are an odd breed indeed. Not sure they are Trolls though because they get kicks trolling for replies and reactions by posting stuff that isn't sincere but generates heat. Around here a good troll topic would be: PJ is a great film maker who made a dull book exiting or Balrogs have wings, dumbass. But I can't see how anyone could find it amusing to post the dull and barely literate posts of today for example. And for us it's mildly annoying but hardly something that raises the blood pressure. My guess (as a computer illiterate) are slightly more sophisticated spambots, first posing as a serious poster (and Danielle Steele fans apparently ) without trying to sell anything, hoping to remain unnoticed and then... uhm... gets down to some sort of dirty business no doubt...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #50
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
We could always add a new requirement to the registering form - instead of typing Tolkien, they would have to type the name of the Downer who got them on the site, or the reason they found it. If they don't have a reason or a sponser, then die, evil spambot.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #51
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

But then they would just invent reasons, either with standard texts or generated from real posts. Granted, it might be easy to spot a few of these generated ones - say:

I like werewolf but I agree with Mister Underhill. Inktomi Slurp Spiders have wings.

That's little problem. But can we refuse a new member for simply stating:

I like Lord of the Rings

? Easy for the bots, but simple also for prospective Downers.

Perhaps Esty should just interview everyone via chat. Give her a raise and I'm sure she'll do it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #52
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Actually, that (interviews with potential newbies) has the potential to be extremely amusing (at least to me). Hm...*contemplates writing a fanfic about it* Maybe over the weekend.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #53
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"How do we stop them?"

"To fight the bug, we must understand the bug. We can ill afford another Klendathu."

"We must meet this threat with our courage, our valor, indeed with our very lives to ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates this galaxy *now and always*!"

Or something like that.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #54
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I guess the interviews are a joke right?

Just googled a bit looking for possible answers on how to achieve this on a vBulletin forum. Upgrading to version 3.6 would bring improved image captchas, but I'm not sure how much that would help... it would against bots, but if these are real people then it wouldn't help.

Also, a couple of addons were mentioned which either make it unattractive for spammers to post in the forum by blocking the links they post or addons detecting keywords in their posts as spam and sending them to the moderation queue.

Otherwise, the only other idea I found interesting was moderating new members, so only allowing them to post once they were manually unlocked by an admin. Not sure how well that would work though.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #55
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I guess the interviews are a joke right?
Yes. That's why I added the . Mostly I am always joking, so it's a pretty safe assumption to make.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #56
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Following on from Loslote's idea, change typing Tolkien to answering a question....What has it got in its pocketsss?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #57
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I might suggest asking people to type something like my name, but then, even I have to cut and paste it to get it right. And even most Tolkien fans look at it and go "what the ----?"
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #58
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dear member who used several * to tell a spammer to leave: annoying as they may be, they are bots. They will not react to any responses by you or others, whether polite or profane. The only solution is for us to ban them and delete their posts/threads, which we do as fast as we can. Thank you.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #59
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It seems that two of them have recently joined, but not yet posted (1 and 2).

Just thought I'd mention it as I saw in them in the Active and Newest members section at the bottom of the front page, and they have no posts yet.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #60
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
If you search the Members List by the number of posts, probably the last eight or nine pages or so (ie, the ones that have zero posts) are almost exclusively spammers. Sometimes they'll lie dormant for a while before slamming the host forum.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #61
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
It seems that two of them have recently joined, but not yet posted (1 and 2).

Just thought I'd mention it as I saw in them in the Active and Newest members section at the bottom of the front page, and they have no posts yet.
At least one of them will have a bad hair day when it posts.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #62
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thanks, Eonwe! Both banned.

I do often check the newest member and ban obvious spammers, and I've gone through the last pages of the member list a few times and cleaned them out. I'll do so again soon if I get a chance.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #63
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

I'd like to say that I applaud the recent efforts of the Admin and Mod staff to curb the spammers.
In the last few weeks especially, I've seen many obvious spammers (random-looking Member Names, with links in the sig line to product or service websites) banned almost as soon as they joined.
Additionally, a great number of them that had registered in the past but had never posted, were cleared from the Members List.

Thanks for your hard work, and keep it up please!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #64
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
To turn this into a total love-fest, let me say that the diligence of members in giving us the heads-up on spam and spammers is a huge factor in helping us keep a relatively tight lid on the problem. So good work and keep it up back at ya!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #65
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe in addition to typing Tolkien new "members" should be required to answer a basic LOTR question - something pretty obvious that also is obvious in the movies. Something like Who was NOT a member of the Fellowship: and then choices a)Frodo, b)Gandalf, and c)Sauron.
Or something along the lines of that. Maybe they should type the name of so-and-so instead of "guess&checking". That would make people use their brains ** and it is known that spammers usually don't have them.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #66
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Anyone else notice that we have a better class of spambot these days? Latest one posts something vaguely relevant to thread title - if they had 't given them selves away with obviously advertising name and sig-link they are getting close to ressembling a hapless newcomer whose English isn't as remarkable as so many of our ESL speakers.... scary...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #67
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The rape (in the Proserpine not DSK sense) of an actual RP thread always feels disproportionately traumatic
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #68
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
The rape (in the Proserpine not DSK sense) of an actual RP thread always feels disproportionately traumatic
As a curiosity, Google search reveals that all those educational facts about "Max the Mad, Duke of Gascoyne" come from another "King's Players" game.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #69
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nerwen, you are truly a noted scholar and thinker
Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #70
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Anyone else notice that we have a better class of spambot these days? Latest one posts something vaguely relevant to thread title - if they had 't given them selves away with obviously advertising name and sig-link they are getting close to ressembling a hapless newcomer whose English isn't as remarkable as so many of our ESL speakers.... scary...
I am still wondering about the efficacy of a spambot. Is there any industry numbers that show statistically that this is a useful marketing tool? I can see a group of spambots at dinner at the Ashtabula Marriot Motel, Convention Center and Gas 'n' Go all sharing their experiences online in the past year:

beejhay13: you are rite, arwen did see aragorn. the rx100 vacuum system has dander free hepa filter.

zhongjian: i can't agree more, the film was interesting. MP3 players @ cut-rates.

divina33: This a is very conversation good. I would like more to learn. Cat Spray Deterrent 100% effective.

jacquewaldos: nude photos of prince charles and camilla.

youbian123: I never thought that. It is not something Tolkein discuss. Caribbean cruises 1/2 off.

Waiter: I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. I'll ask again, what did you folks want to order for dinner?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #71
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Nerwen, you are truly a noted scholar and thinker
Indeed, Ang dear you may have met your Antipodean match... (in the intellectual sense, quite enough of the other sort going on already... ).

It is particularly horrid when the little subcreated worlds are invaded - I neg repped a futile tirade against the one who landed in WF a while back. The one on the LOTR Score had ripped off something almost eloquent.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #72
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Apparently, the spam bots are preparing to fight a revolution...would somebody like to get rid of henryclinton15 before he gets his troops in line? It might be awhile though...apparently, the troops have to pay for airline flights with credit card rewards.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #73
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
Apparently, the spam bots are preparing to fight a revolution...would somebody like to get rid of henryclinton15 before he gets his troops in line? It might be awhile though...apparently, the troops have to pay for airline flights with credit card rewards.
I'd like to zap them as soon as I see those worthless links in their sig line. It can be frustrating watching them setting up their profiles and being helpless. Neg-repping the ones that are brave enough to post gives some satisfaction, though.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #74
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'd like to zap them as soon as I see those worthless links in their sig line. It can be frustrating watching them setting up their profiles and being helpless.
Ditto. It's also frustrating having to wait until they post before you can do anything about it, even though you know they are spammers (a bit obvious, when they have all kinds of links in their siggies).

I don't really understand why they are doing all that. It's useles, and a waste of their time. I'm sure that they're sure they can profit from it, but hasn't it been proven worthless?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #75
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
I'd like to zap them as soon as I see those worthless links in their sig line. It can be frustrating watching them setting up their profiles and being helpless. Neg-repping the ones that are brave enough to post gives some satisfaction, though.
Very frustrating - I wish there was a way to report them, same as spam posts can be reported. Especially since a lot of them seem to join late at night...and it's just me and the spammers, all alone.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #76
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I don't really understand why they are doing all that. It's useles, and a waste of their time. I'm sure that they're sure they can profit from it, but hasn't it been proven worthless?
There are some who advertise the same website or company again and again. I've Googled the ones who look like legitimate businesses and verified that the URLs matched what was in the spam links, then I've e-mailed the business complaining about the spam (though I haven't specifically named the Downs as a victim).
To date, I've received a response from one company. The respondent told me they'd had a problem with competitors spamming their website on forums to somehow drive down their rating on Google and other search engines. Not being all that knowledgeable about such things, I wasn't sure if I believed them or not.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #77
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
Very frustrating - I wish there was a way to report them, same as spam posts can be reported. Especially since a lot of them seem to join late at night...and it's just me and the spammers, all alone.
I wish so too. And it's not only you: very often I see 2 members on the Online list - me and a spammer whom I can't report because they haven't posted yet.

Zil: I'm also not so sure I believe them.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #78
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
To date, I've received a response from one company. The respondent told me they'd had a problem with competitors spamming their website on forums to somehow drive down their rating on Google and other search engines. Not being all that knowledgeable about such things, I wasn't sure if I believed them or not.
Except isn't it the exact opposite? The more pages you're on, the higher your results on Google, etc. Or at least that's how I understood it.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #79
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Except isn't it the exact opposite? The more pages you're on, the higher your results on Google, etc. Or at least that's how I understood it.
You probably know more about it than I. At least they replied, though.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #80
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
You probably know more about it than I. At least they replied, though.
True. That's more than most companies will do. And I'm not sure if I'm right or not, but I'd heard that as an explanation for why spammers do stuff like this in the first place, so I don't know.

Also, look, we've got another one. Oh joy.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote