The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2003, 01:35 AM   #1
celeborn

Sting i LOVE this book!

isn't this just the bets book ever!

i had such a good time reading it
it blew me away!
Old 06-22-2003, 02:02 AM   #2
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm really gld you liked it but I think this belongs in the novice and newcomers section
Old 06-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey there!

Seems like I'm following you around, eh?
Just to inform you, celeborn, The Books forum is for in-depth discussions on Tolkien. You can go to the Novices and Newcomers thread if you'd like to express your passionate opinion and rather post in The Books when you're a bit more experianced Barrow-downer. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Best,

Tarien Ithil

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Yes, the Novices and Newcomers forum is the place for this topic, so I'm moving the thread there, where you may continue to read and post.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's a good book. Not my favourite, but it has its qualities.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

LOTR is definitely on my Top 10 list of all time favorite books I have read in my life and yes I have read quite a few [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I can honestly say that this is the only 1000+ page book I have ever read twice with a third time in the works!

Yes, this is one of the best books ever written! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Exactly which book are you talking about, celeborn? I suppose that really doesn't matter, because any Tolkien book is good, in my opinion, and I can safely assume that I do and will love them all. I suppose my favourite though would have to be the Return of the King book from the LOTR trilogy. The Silmarillion would probably be next in line, with the Fellowship of the Ring close behind(gotta love Tom Bombadil [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).
Peace
Old 06-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #8
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Ring

I am truly glad you liked it!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I despised Tolkien and all he stood for [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Just kidding....obvuiously [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I loved the guy and his works, otherwis ei wouldn;t be here
Old 06-25-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

These are the only three books that I have read close to six times in two years.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:17 AM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My favorite book in the trilogy is definitely Return of the King, with Fellowship of the Ring as a close second. My second-favorite Tolkien book is The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales is my third favorite. I've always loved the stories of the First Age, so I read just about every book on them that I can get my hands on.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #12
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

I read this book when I was ten, and have since read it about four times (I'm not sure exactly how many, because sometimes I just pick it up and randomly start reading. You should try it sometime)

Tolkien's work is definately among my favorite books of all time.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:50 AM   #13
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
read this book when I was ten
*whistles* Tinuviel, I am impressed! Really, this book is quite complicated for a ten-year-old, but well done for reading it at such a young age! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Old 07-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Ooh, I feel complimented too... I read it at 10 as well. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 07-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #15
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was about 12 when I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings - and was just crushed when I couldn't get through the Silmarillion. I was in University before I had the courage to pick it up again! (Early traumas... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
The youngest I've ever heard of anyone reading Tolkien was starting the Hobbit at 4, followed by LOTR between 5 and 6. That wasn't fully independant reading, though, as the stories had been read aloud to the child first.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #16
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I attempted Lord of the Rings when I was 11 - but I stopped for a month half way through the Two Towers and just couldn't get back into it without restarting. Then I read them when I was 12 and I was hooked, even though my interest wasn't seriously rekindled until the movie came out, when I reread them about 4 times [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 PM   #17
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

I read the Silm when I was 11 (though it took me several tries to get to the end.)

I must say that reading the story at such a young age may be impressive, but I missed a great deal of depth, as I was only interested in "What happens next?"
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:32 PM   #18
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

I agree completely. At twelve, I really WAS only interested in "What happens next?" But, then I went and read them again and again. And every couple years I noticed something in the books that I'd never seen there before.
Sure, young kids don't get the same things out of the books that they will when they are older, but I don't think that means they shouldn't read them.
I think it just means that they should someday read the book again and find out what they missed the first time through.
(Similarly, I remember being amazed at the social and political subtexts in Animal Farm when we studied it in highschool - I'd read it as a kid and seriously thought it was just a story about some animals being mean to each other, lol!)
Old 07-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #19
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lord of the Rings at 8, Silmarillion at 11 (after a failed attempt at age 9). LotR is truly great. I'd disagree with those who say that youngsters don't get as much out of it. Perhaps I'm more emotional when I read it now, but I did get a full sense of character, as well an understanding of the Fellowship's struggles, and the utter length of the Quest.

Iarwain

edit-I fixed a typo in my signature

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 07-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #20
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

I read LOTR, Sil, The Hobbit, Ut and The Lost Tale Part 1 & 2 when I was 11. The Lost Tales took me forever but The rest I went though so fast because they were so good. Some of you were differnt than me because you sayed that all you cared about what happend next but for me I was thinking what happens next and I don't want this part to end durring the whole book. Now I'm 12 and I've reread my favorite parts in the books many times. It feals odd because I know I'm one of the youngest people here but I feal like my knowalge of Tolkien's books is just as good as anybody's here.

Quote:
I just pick it up and randomly start reading
I do that a lot but I mostly read my favorite parts.

Quote:
I'd disagree with those who say that youngsters don't get as much out of it.
I rearly disagree with anyone whoi thought young people couldn't get anything out of it, because I feal like I have gotten a lot out of it.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:48 AM   #21
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Maybe it would be fair to say that when you are younger, you get something different out of the Lord of the Rings than when you are older?
Different doesn't have to mean less. And what that difference might be, could be different for each person.
But I have found that growing up (and I personally plan to keep on "growing up" until I die) has really changed the way I read the books. Me personally, I couldn't have appreciated Sam's role before I had children - and found myself in devoted service to short unreasonable people who rarely notice how I'm feeling about anything, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].
Old 07-12-2003, 04:39 AM   #22
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

It's different for every person. Some can read it at 8 (well done, Iarwain! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) and soem read it as adults. I read it at 12. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Crickhollow