The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2002, 06:35 PM   #1
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting The Powers of the Istari

I posted this in the Sauron Eyeball Thread. It was rather off-topic for that thread, so here's a new one.

Quote:
Observed or was forced to abide by these rules.
Observed. Gandalf could have turned his back on these rules, as Saruman did. He instead made himself wholly subject to them, and it was only because of this that his mission succeeded.

Quote:
Don't you think Saruman would have used his real power if he could?
I think Saruman did use his real power. This is why he seemed so much stronger than Gandalf before Gandalf's return as the White. If the Istari actually had a certain measure of their power taken away from them by the Valar, why would Saruman be allowed more than Gandalf? What would be the purpose of an actual power handicap? What more would Saruman have had to do for you to say, Hey, I think he just broke one of the rules of the Istari! I think the limits on their power were just these:
Quote:
whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.
I don't believe that their spiritual potency was restricted, but that they were limited in the ways they could openly use that potency. Saruman did 'reveal himself in a form of majesty', and he did 'seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power'. Saruman broke the rules, and thus appeared more powerful through the same means that Sauron did -- in armies and domination.

Check this out from Letters:
Quote:
For in his condition it was for him a sacrifice to perish on the Bridge in defence of his companions, less perhaps than for a mortal Man or Hobbit, since he had a far greater inner power than they; but also more, since it was a humbling and abnegation of himself in conformity to 'the Rules': for all he could know at that moment he was the only person who could direct the resistance to Sauron successfully, and all his mission was vain. He was handing over to the Authority that ordained the Rules, and giving up personal hope of success.
Pretty groovy, eh?

Gandalf, though greater in original spirit, submitted to Saruman's authority as the head of the order because that was how it was set up. He was humble, and in this lies the very key to his success. Here is more of my argument for Gandalf > Saruman. In addition to that, if we accept the quote I provided from Unfinished Tales about Gandalf and Sauron being equal in their beginnings; and we accept this quote, also from UT:
Quote:
And Curunír 'Lân, Saruman the White, fell from his high errand, and becoming proud and impatient and enamoured of power sought to have his own will by force, and to oust Sauron; but he was ensnared by that dark spirit, mightier than he.
...then it is only logical for us to consider Gandalf mightier than Saruman.

Quote:
In the form he was in, Sauron was the strongest at that time. It's not just a matter of one being's sole power, but his influence as well...It's not just the one being that is powerful, but all under his control.
I can agree that Sauron's "team" was stronger than Gandalf's. That's exactly what Gandalf meant when he said what O'Boile quoted.

Quote:
His influence was great yes, but his sheer power was not equal to Sauron's.
You're right that Sauron, with the resources he commanded, was capable of more action -- be it mobilizing armies, destroying villages, besieging cities -- in Middle-earth than Gandalf. But the being that was Sauron and the being that was Gandalf, in their beginnings, had equally potent spirits.

They were different beings, though. The bad guys are usually "more powerful" than the good guys because they are willing to do anything to achieve their ends, and are not inhibited by morals, honesty, or compassion. Gandalf was a very meek spirit, and even expressed to Manwe a fear of Sauron. Manwe was confident in Gandalf, though, because of that humility.

Edit: Updated link at HerenIstarion's request.

Last edited by obloquy; 11-30-2004 at 02:17 PM.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote