The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2002, 08:44 AM   #1
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What's their best line? What's their worst line?

Okay, here's what you do. I am going to randomly pick a character from the FOTR movie and you put down what think is his/her best and worst line. If someone has already put down the line you thought of post a reply voting for that line. The lines that gets the most votes within a week to 2 weeks time (depending on how fast people respond to this)will be declared as the official best line and the official worst line. <P>Rule 1. You can put down up to three lines for the character's best or worst line.<BR>Rule 2. You don't have to put down a best and worst line. <BR>Rule 3. You can only vote once.<BR>Rule 4. The line has to be from the movie.<P>Okay, without further ado, the first charater is Aragorn. In my mind his best line is... <BR>"If by my life or death I can protect you, I will."<BR>Worst line...<BR>"The same blood flows in my veins, the sam weakness."
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:59 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Worst line...<BR>"The same blood flows in my veins, the same weakness."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am curious - how did you come to the choice of this line for his worst one?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:41 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I do enjoy it when he says "Indeed!"<P>But the best line could be "Be at peace, Son Of Gondor"<P>His worst line is unquestionably "Let's hunt some Orc!"<P>I defy you to find a worse line.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Legolas.<P>Best line: "Goblins!"<P>Worst line: "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn".<P>I just think that sounds really, really awkward. Like PJ just thought "I have to fit Strider's real name in here somewhere, and Orlie is always complaining about not having enough lines..."<P>And I love the line about goblins. It just sounds good.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:43 AM   #5
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Piosenniel, the way a came to that line for his worst was because that line gets on my nerves every time I watch the movie!!! And we're not doing Legolas right now Elenna, we're doing Aragorn. We'll do Legolas next.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 AM   #6
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

good thing i read that u were doin Aragorn 1st! i was about to put my reply on Frodo! well i saved it 4 when u do him. <P>But about Aragorn, i think his best line is also... "Be at peace, son of Gondor." and i was just wondering, i read on another post sumwhere else how everyone dislikes the line "Let's hunt some orc." i guess i'll choose that 2 as his worst line. <P>(The reason i don't dislike it as much was because in the theater, my friend, who now lives in CA shouted out "MMMMMMMMM!!!! PORK!!!!" because she thought he said "let's go hunt some pork"!) lolol
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<B>Firondoiel</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Piosenniel, the way a came to that line for his worst was because that line gets on my nerves every time I watch the movie!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>One last question and I promise to let this inquiry drop - Is it because it seems to make Aragorn appear weak that you dislike this line so much?<P>BTW - Welcome to the Downs!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best:<BR>Strider: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.<BR>Because he is so smart and scary!<P>Worst<BR>Let's hunt some orc! <BR>Self explanitory, well maybe not. It is so out of character and just does not seem to fit.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I also vote for "Let's hunt some orc" as worst line. But I think it was because of the delivery.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:11 AM   #10
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Best line<BR>Boromir: They have a cave troll!!! <P>Worst line<BR>Gimli: I'll be dead before i see the ring in the hands of an elf!!<BR>Dumb move being in Rivendell at the time, look closely the guy on Lregolas' left. Looks like he is about to lunge at Gimli.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #11
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I don't like that line because it changes Aragorn's character from the book.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:47 PM   #12
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn<BR>Best line: "I would have followed you into the very heart of Mordor." (Sorry for the inexact quoting)<P>Worst line: "Let us hunt some Orc."
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 04:10 PM   #13
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So far "Be at peace, Son of Gondor." is in the lead for best line and "Let's hunt some orc." is in the lead for worst line. I think the "winners" will be declared either Monday, Sept. 2nd. ot Tuesday, Sept. 3rd.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:58 PM   #14
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Best Line: <BR>"I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor."<P>Worst Line:<BR>"Let's hunt some orc!"
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:41 PM   #15
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

aragorn's best line: "i do not know what strength is in my blood , but i swear to you, i will not let the white city fall"
Old 09-01-2002, 07:15 AM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The delivery? Look, the Terminator would say "Lets hunt some Orc"<P>Aragorn Son of Arathorn, Elessar, True King of Gondor and Arnor, would not. It's so far out of character it's unreal.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #17
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Okay the worst line was "Let's hunt some orc." and there was a tie for best line. "I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor." and "Be at peace, Son of Gondor". The next character is <B>Legolas</B>.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:14 PM   #18
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Eye

legolas : "this is no mere ranger, he is aragorn son of arathorn"
Old 09-06-2002, 09:02 PM   #19
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

ok 4 Legolas i choose.... <BR>*best line(s)* <BR> 1) "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and you own him your alligence." <BR> 2) "There is a fell voice on the air."<BR> 3) "You mean not to follow them."<P>*worst lines* dang! i seriously can't find his worst line. i even skimmed though the script! sry!
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:30 PM   #20
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Aragon's best lines where when he was in Bree.<P>And what's with everyone? I thought Aragorn's last line was great. "Let's hunt some orc!" It just get's your spirits up. I'm gonna stand against the crowd and say the Aragorn's best line is "Let's hunt some orc!"<P><BR>Oh, I just noticed. We're doing Legolas. <P>Best line: I vote for "Fell voice on the air" just cause it's fun watching him walk on the snow.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:33 PM   #21
Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Legolas' best line? Well, in My humble opinion, its,<P>"((I forgot the first part)) Gandalf...What did they say about him? I have no the heart to tell you, for Me the greife is still to near"<P>I aploigze if I got some of it wrong and I deffently hit Myself over the head with an Orc for forgetting the first part.<P>Worst line?<BR>ORCS!<P>Thats just My opinion though...
Old 09-07-2002, 03:07 AM   #22
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

legolas:<P>Best: You mean not to follow them <P>Worst: There is a fell voice in the air <P>Sorry if I quoted them slightly wrong!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:43 AM   #23
Maltaharma
Pile O'Bones

Maltaharma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maltaharma
Tolkien

I personally think Aragorn's best line is when he says "I will not let the white city fall!" Worst line: when they're at the council of Elrond and he's says, "...it has no other master!" Did anyone else noticed how wierd his voice sounded right then? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Never trust an elf." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #24
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Legolas's "Orcs" and "Goblins" don't really count for me because they are only one word each. Plus, they're kind of funny....<P>Legolas's best line is "I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near"<P>And he doesn't really have many lines does he? So I'll say "Orcs" because he screws his face up as he says it and it's sort of bad.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:53 PM   #25
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

best for legolas "you mean no to follow him"<P>or "lament of gandalf"..."I have not the heart to tell you for the grief is still to near" but i was sort of paraphrasing.<BR> <BR>worst<BR>"(some obscure word?) from dunland!"<P>or "the horn of gondor" i don't know he jst sort of roles his "r"s funnily, sounds sort of inconsistent.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:50 PM   #26
Wight

Eye

I do the same with My " R "s...Whats that called???
Old 09-07-2002, 09:24 PM   #27
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

i like how aragorns voice, sounds, especially at the council of elrond. theirs something about it thats so cool
Old 09-08-2002, 10:11 AM   #28
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Aragorn always sounds and acts like nothing bads going on. Especially in Bree. Like: Oh ya Sauron's taking over, but I'm a Ranger, I can deal.<P>I still say his best line is "Let's hunt some Orc"
Old 09-08-2002, 10:20 AM   #29
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
I actually liked Aragorn's line of "Let's hunt some orc!"
Old 09-10-2002, 03:21 AM   #30
Thriwien

Silmaril

The best: "Thou shalt not pass!!!!"<BR>by: Gandalf
Old 09-10-2002, 02:31 PM   #31
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Okay in my opinion on Legolas...<BR>Best:"A lament for Gandalf...I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near."<BR>Worst: "Orcs"
Old 09-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #32
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

OK, I know that 30 people are gonna kick me when I say this... But I dont really think "lets go hunt some orc" was the worst line...<BR>I just crack up when I hear him say it, but I don't think its bad...<BR>Besides, it was in the book wasnt it?<P>Best:"<I>The world is changing. I feel it in the water, I feel it in the air...</I>" or words to that effect. So cool and mysterious.<BR>Worst:<BR>Arwen: Do you remember when we first met?<BR>Aragon: I thought I was in a dream.<BR>Tacky or what?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:19 AM   #33
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Maybe you should do a funniest line as well?<BR>Because there are a lot of funny lines in FOTR...<BR>Just a suggestion.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:24 PM   #34
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I really hate this<BR>Sam: What are you doin' those wraiths are still out there?<BR>Damn that sounds way to american aren't the Hobbits meant to be miniature Brits.<P>I also think that Legolas' lines are some of the worst in the movie. <BR>Some crazy fan-girl is going to try to kill me now, right.<P>Aragorn and Boromir have the best lines. But Aragorn's accent keeps changing.<p>[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Dimaldaeon ]

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 02:30 PM   #35
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Anastasia, thank you for the suggestion but there already is a place were you can post the funniest lines.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #36
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

so what character are we on to now then?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #37
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Results for Legolas...<P>Best: I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near.<P>Worst: Orcs!<P>Okay, the next character is <B>Gandalf</B>.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #38
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hm....Gandalf.<P>Best line:YOU SHALL NOT PASS! <P>I'll have to think of a worst line.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:08 PM   #39
Wight

Eye

Puuurrrrsonally, I like "Go you fools!"<BR>Its the selflessness thats put into them and motavates him to say it that realy gets Me...Of corse, I am a but lunny.<BR>Or "We must figure out what to do with the time thats given to us" Speech...Too bad Ic ant remember it to quote it! <P>*Dose a football tackle on Dimaldaeon and tosses her over the fence* Sorry, don't take it personally. Its born-reflex to do that kinda stuff to people who insult <B>L</B>egolas...
Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 PM   #40
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dont remember who asked but no, "lets hunt some orc" is not in the book.. The line in the book reads "I will follow the orcs." in answer to the debate of whether to follow Frodo and Sam and thereby leave Merry and Pip to torment and death, or to follow the Orcs, which we all know he decides the fate of the ring bearer was no longer in his hands.<P>I was rather miffed at the lines that were seemingly needlessly changed.<P>Oh and for whoever asked about the r's it's called "rolling your r's" and it's apparently the correct pronunciation for many of the languages of Middle-Earth. <P>all in all I cast my vote as "lets hunt some orc" as among the worst lines of the movie. I think there were too many lines that seemed very out of character for the speaker.