The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe WWJ V: The Broken Souls

Something inside me screams,
These streets are haunted,
And the silence of sleep has been ripped away by these messy dreams,
I can feel them watching me, I am wanted.

Her hair was red, stained by blood,
Her smile was terror, those teeth were fangs,
She carried us all away in the horror of the flood,
And on day by day another one of us hangs.

I look at you, you look at me,
As their bodies burned on in the never-ending holes,
We both agree this is how it was supposed to be,
And you know, we're just another pair of broken souls.

-Sleepy Ranger

---

Rules

-Non-Retraceable Votes
-Double Lynchings are allowed
-When making a vote please keep it in a line seperate from the rest of the post and have it in bold with two pluses (++). (Even you, dear)
-Please stay invisible for your duration of the game.
-Refrain from discussing the game outside the playing area.
-There shall be no posting during the night.
-The deadline is 2pm EST, 3pm CST and 7pm GMT.
-It may be cliched but, 'Enjoy yourself!'

---

Players

JennyHallu - The friendly neighborhood nutcase waving a doomsday sign around
Roa_Aoife - Babysitter, the blonde, large chested one that always runs upstairs when she should be running out of the house
Nogrod - Post-Structuralist musician
Thinlomien - Sculpter specialiazing in making nightmarish birds.
Naria - Butcher
Valier - The Cruel Duchess Valier
Gil-Galad - Bell Ringer
Anguirel - Herald at arms
THE Ka - Moreish Pavlovian Psychologist
Witch_Queen - Homeless guy
Eonwe - Gold Miner
Valesse - Poultry gender analysist
Holbytlass - Governess
Littlemanpoet - Traveling minstrel/bard
Encaitare - a scientist who specializes in analyzing small pebbles and other silly things

---

It is now night, werewolves you may PM each other. Seers, PM each other and decide who you wish to dream about. I'll need your name before the night is up.

"Gentlemen, ladies, Are you ready? Let the games begin!"

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 02-27-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

JennyHallu

It was a chilly day in an age long past. Alone in a street corner stood a woman, carrying a sign proclaiming the end of the world. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her for a while, especially not a stranger. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Jenny believed him, it would be over soon.

Roa_Aoife

She sat there counting her money on a park bench by herself. They had called her stupid, they had laughed at her. She would show them who was better, it wouldn't be long now. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her when she was in one of those moods. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Roa believed him, it would be over soon.

Nogrod

There he was, a lone boy with his music. He was staring at a brick wall and had no idea where his life was headed. Things had not been good for Nogrod but he still tried, he was sure he would have a run of good luck eventually. His steps were quick and noiseless, he never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of him he just looked up in wonder, the man smiled. Nobody would smile at him these days, nobody cared about some random guy on the street. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Nogrod believed him, it would be over soon.

Thinlomien

She sat there putting the finishing touches on her newest masterpiece. She had been cast away by society, she had been called a freak due to what she made. The people were too narrow-minded to see the beauty in her work. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her sculptures before. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Thinlomien believed him, it would be over soon.

Naria
She laughed as she cut the meat that nobody would buy. Her small store was rarely visited by anyone, it reeked of the smell of death but that did not bother her, she just laughed as she did her job. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her inside her store before. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Naria believed him, it would be over soon.

Valier

She stood at the gate of her manor, getting drenched in the rain. She watched the shadowy world go by, each one was just a trinket to her but she didn't want a trinket. She wanted pure gold. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her, they had always kept away from her. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Valier believed him, it would be over soon.

Gil-Galad

*ding**ding**ding* There he stood under a tree ringing bells to his hearts desire. Many who passed him sneered at him and told him to shut that infernal racket but he did not listen to them, only to the bells. His steps were quick and noiseless, he never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of him he just looked up in wonder, the man smiled. Nobody had smiled at him when he was ringing his bells. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Gil-Galad believed him, it would be over soon.

Anguirel

Everyday he ran around giving message from one man to another. None of these people ever really bothered to look at him and that suited Anguirel just fine. One day when he was loitering around instead of doing his job he found himself mesmeriesed by the flow of a nearby river, it looked different in a way. His steps were quick and noiseless, he never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of him he just looked up in wonder, the man smiled. Nobody had smiled at him before, nobody would even look at him. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Anguirel believed him, it would be over soon.

THE Ka

She lay there on the grass staring upwards at the night sky. Today had in no way been a good day, in fact it seemed life had begun a steady journey downwards. She sighed, things weren't in her hands anymore or so it seemed. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her for the last few months, it seemed money did buy friends. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Ka believed him, it would be over soon.

Witch_Queen

As she sat there by her precious cardboard box, the cool wind cutting her to the bone, she whistled a tune of an old song she had heard somewhere. The only creatures she had for company were rats. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her, they had always kept away from her. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Witch Queen believed him, it would be over soon.

Eonwe

As he sat outside his mine, drinking water in large sips, sweat cracking his broken body. There had been no gold till now, maybe he ought to consider changing his occupation to mining from gold mining. His steps were quick and noiseless, he never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of him he just looked up in wonder, the man smiled. Nobody had smiled at him before, nobody even knew he existed. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Eonwe believed him, it would be over soon.

Valesse

She stood there just outside her house. Figuring out the gender of poultry was a strange job but this was a strange lady here. She stood there looking at the tree across the street as if waiting for it to move. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had smiled at her and if they had she wouldn't care but now she did. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Valesse believed him, it would be over soon.

Holbytlass

Being a governess was a tiring job, you had to move about and talk to fake people while being marginably fake yourself but it was one she managed to do with ease. Yet here as she stood alone after a speech she felt sorrowful. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had given her a real smile, they were all masks but here she had before her a true smile. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Holbytlass believed him, it would be over soon.

Littlemanpoet

He stepped out of the inn for some fresh air, after breathing in all the smoke filled air the cool, dawn air was a pleasent sensation. Jumping from town to town had never been pleasent but that was the life he had chosen and that was the life he would live but he oft did wish it had been different. His steps were quick and noiseless, he never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of him he just looked up in wonder, the man smiled. Nobody had smiled at him before, not that friendly smile that this man was giving him. "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and LMP believed him, it would be over soon.

Encaitare

She was observing some pebbles after getting thrown out of the 'Biggest Scientific Meeting Ever'. She then moved onto buckets and kept on looking at various other things, her studies had gathered her many haters. His steps were quick and noiseless, she never saw him coming but once he stood there in front of her she just looked up in wonder, he smiled. Nobody had given smiled at her before, though they had laughed at her "It shall be over soon." He said, his voice was soothing and Encaitare believed him, it would be over soon.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

And so it was that the fates of these fifteen people had become intertwined. As the years went by they grew closer to this man, he visited them often and was full of many magnificent and wonderful tales. He revealed his name to be Sleepy Ranger but not once did he breathe word of one to the other. None of the fifteen knew the other existed. Then one evening each of them recieved a letter,

Dear friend,
We have known each other for many years now and I believe it is time to head forward and make something of these lives. Travel to the mountains, I will meet you there.

Your Friend,
Sleepy Ranger

And so they left, each of them left their homes and their lives and headed to where they had been directed. He met each of them seperately and led them to a town surrounded by hills. It was a beautiful place and there they lived togther in peace and harmony until one night it all changed.

One night all through out the mountains strange whirring of machinery could be heard and near daybreak there was a shrill shriek heard throughout the city. Sleepy Ranger had vanished but nobody was worried, he would leave ocassionaly without giving word to anyone but he would always be back in a few days, a month passed. Sleepy still hadn't returned. People grew worried and the community began to fall apart, those who had once been friends were now bitter foes but those fifteen who had known him so well came together and under the cover of the night they left the city in search of Sleepy, leaving the rest behind to kill each other.

After three months of searching they finally found him, he explained that he had been called away on urgent business and on the way back he had suffered an injury which detained him. When they explained what had become of the land they loved so much Sleepy sighed, there was pure sorrow on his face and he seemed to be on the verge of tears but he led them forth once again and finally after a month they found a place to call home for a while. Near it was an abandone city, Sleepy warned them to go nowhere near it and when they asked why all he would say was, " 'Tis evil."

Two months later Sleepy had again vanished, this time his friends decided to take immediate action. Intuition drove them into the abandoned town and sure enough they found Sleepy in the center of the town. He had been impaled on the cupid's arrow that had once provided water for the fountain, it now spurted blood, Sleepy's. Upon further examination it was discovered that his throat had been slashed and his head was just barely connected to his body, when it tilted back a bit a fountain of blood would gush out of his corpse. They tied a tourniquet around his neck and began to carry him back to his home, where they would give him their final respects.

But no, all gates leading in and out of the town had been shut. They were trapped there was no way out. An insane voice spoke up from nowhere, "Welcome to my town, won't you stay? Won't you? We can have so much fun!" The sentence trailed into a series of insane chuckles. "You want to go? Spoilsports! Thats no fun, just for that I'm going to keep the fountains filled with fresh blood. His..." Sleepy Ranger's corpse just vanished, vanished right in front of them. "...and yours!" the voice broke off into hysterical laughter. "Look there!" pointed one of them, due to all the confusion it was impossible to remember who it was but in the place where Sleepy's body had been was now a note,

"They planned it! They're our friends, how could they? But no, they've planned it! They'll kill us all! May you be safe my friends, I love you all even those who betrayed us."
-Sleepy Ranger

JennyHallu
Roa_Aoife
Nogrod
Thinlomien
xSleepy Rangerx (Ooooh! You're so dead now!)
Naria
Valier
Gil-Galad
Anguirel
THE Ka
Witch_Queen
Eonwe
Valesse
Holbytlass
Littlemanpoet
Encaitare

The fifteen looked from one to another. Sleepy was dead, it was up to them now to ensure that they would get out of here alive. Their eyes crossed one another as darkness conquered the sky.

---

Night 1

Alive

JennyHallu - The friendly neighborhood nutcase waving a doomsday sign around
Roa_Aoife - Babysitter, the blonde, large chested one that always runs upstairs when she should be running out of the house
Nogrod - Post-Structuralist musician
Thinlomien - Sculpter specialiazing in making nightmarish birds.
Naria - Butcher
Valier - Cruel Duchess
Gil-Galad - Bell Ringer
Anguirel - Herald at arms
THE Ka - Moreish Pavlovian Psychologist
Witch_Queen - Homeless guy
Eonwe - Gold Miner
Valesse - Poultry gender analysist
Holbytlass - Governess
Littlemanpoet - Traveling minstrel/bard
Encaitare - a scientist who specializes in analyzing small pebbles and other silly things

Dead

Sleepy Ranger (mod) - Impaled on a cupid's arrow with his head nearly cut off.

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 09-29-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

And as the sun rose the same voice echoed through the town. "Rise and shine my dears. Its time for the games to begin." All of them, surprisingly, had managed to get enough sleep that night. They had set watch at different times yet none of them had any idea who a large pile of weapons had appeared near their camp in the morning. Near it was a note, written in the same childish hand-writing that had scribbled down the names at the end of Sleepy's note. "For your killing pleasure." it read. The fifteen looked from one to the other, they knew one of them wouldn't survive the day.

Wolves and Seers stop PMing. It is now day time, now is the time the game truly begins, my players. Use your time well and good luck to all sides.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
An eerie silence grasps this cursed burgh.
Its citizens seem to be slain in war...
Yet we must speak, while time to us remains.
Perhaps 'tis fitting that the herald's lips
Which oft did gory battle-plain embroil
Do now commence this combat, vile and grim.
Where are ye, gentles? Answer this, my cry!
Think ye that spillers of most goodely blood
The blessed Ranger strong and somnolent
Yet come from us? Ah, fie upon such treason!
To arms, fellows, to arms! Avenge the stalwart lost!
And ponder on the cruel slayer and scribe.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
A nervous laughter came from the butcher's mouth. I know that I haven't been getting much business as of late but this is ridiculous! Now I not only have non existent customers, but I also have no shop. What is going on?!
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, now, locked in a demonic city whose fountains are filled with blood, eh? Bodes not well, my friends. However, I will set instantly to work with my pickaxe: hopefully I will happen upon an ancient aquaduct or sewer system, or whatnot.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We've lost our leader! May he be mourned!
Traitors trouble us, scorn is their skill!
They'll kill in the dark till death's our doom.
Speak, each one of us, for in words the Were
may be found then fettered, and done to death
if luck be our guide. Let us begin.

{With these words declaimed in chant, LMP (also known as Elempí) began.}

I'll not jest nor riddle my way through these dire days ahead. Nor shall I claim innocence or guilt. Rather, by my aid in our attempts to oust our foes shall you see proven that I have not betrayed you. And so, for now, I will listen a while.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Lest yonder songster my high speech deride,
Or call a usurpation of his staves,
I do refrain form poet's lofty place,
I speak but as a gentleman's envoy,
A knight's forerunner now without a knight,
Just as in camps, or armaments, or siege
The heralds trumpet to a crimson sky,
And vaunt their masters' fame in "poesy".

Alas that to base rhyme I now resort!
Forgive me minstrel-'twould disgrace a court.
Now, butcher, miner, all ye peasants stout
What think ye of the murderer about?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Now please my friends and fellows, and our common enemies! Even though it seems a time of despair, let's speak some sense.

I can then deconstruct it for you later...

But what to do? As a friend of peace, I'll suggest some talking before getting over each others throaths with willy-nilly, out of hunch suspicions.

And just to stress my urge on frank exhange of ideas, I would suggest, that if there is even one among us today, that just hides in the shadows and does not show him/herself to be helpful in getting us out of this misery, we should point our suspicions there.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Vhat Shall ve do? I don't vant to sleep out of doors again! Vhat vith a madman on ze loose! Our poor Sleepy! E vas one ov my favorite clients. Vhy! Vhy!

Vhat es all thes about? Vhy vould anyone do zhis to us? Games? Vhat games? I do not vant to play any game, but my game. Vith my rules! *Pouts*

And Vhat? I say Vhat? are all thoze veapons for? I need no veapon but my own vhip! (as she artfully flicks her vhip..I mean whip)

Zhis iz unaczeptable! Ve need to do someving!

Last edited by Valier; 02-28-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: cross posted with Nogrod
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sleepy was the first person who didn't laugh at me for my studies of pebbles, and the average dimensions of buckets, and the usefulness of detached lizards' tails. His support inspired me to write my dissertation on whether birds get hangnails. And best of all, knowing him brought me lovely friends. It saddens me to think that we most likely are doomed to turn against each other like the others did when he left.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Lest yonder songster my high speech deride...
Never would I deride your speech, oh herald.
Rather I would hear from those who have not spoken yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrod
if there is even one among us today, that just hides in the shadows and does not show him/herself to be helpful in getting us out of this misery, we should point our suspicions there.
A reasonable point of suspicion no doubt, but let us not with a single thread weave the pattern of our decision this day. Other just as useful evidences may supply themselves before long.

So far I find nothing of any merit on which to decide a thing or comment .... that is, in terms of werewolves and murderers.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-28-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I must confess that all this company
Did me surprise: all consorts of the late
And much missed Ranger. Yet he sought out such
As Valier, ill-famed whirler of whips
As Jenny Hallu-a mere flagellant
And prophet of destruction-Enca too
Unhealthily absorbed in stolid stones.
Yet of these oddments heroes may be made,
To rise against the poignarders and fiends
Who have purposed this baleful felonie.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrog
if there is even one among us today, that just hides in the shadows and does not show him/herself to be helpful in getting us out of this misery, we should point our suspicions there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
A reasonable point of suspicion no doubt, but let us not with a single thread weave the pattern of our decision this day. Other just as useful evidences may supply themselves before long.

So far I find nothing of any merit on which to decide a thing or comment .... that is, in terms of werewolves and murderers.
The thing I'm afraid, are the random deeds,
which something or -one might exploit,
by hiding this very first day,
and let us happily each other devour.

But having this mentality,
of suspecting silence,
we might drive out the devil,
to show even a part of himself,
or her, who knows?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
This ruins my platform for a Utopian Society.
Come! Let all speak and save those who have piety!

On careful analysis of the letter(s), I for one do not recognize the style of writng.
At this point, I'm answering the summons of roll call. Nothing at this time that warrants suspicion. Which is the norm for things at the beginning.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, for the sake of honour, you varlets, stop all this versifying. I too shall now leave it to the minstrel. Really, poetry isn't made to spread like a plague, but if it does it can be just as deadly.

Alas, we seem to have few present of proper military standing-I suspect the "Duchess" has a somewhat dubious claim to nobility-where is her coat of arms, I say?

In the absence of any noble paladins or even anyone much who can wield a blade, I propose to take charge, and I implore that we stop all this cod-rhyme, wrenched from the professionals, and get some talk going. Which was my purpose to start with.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Oh, for the sake of honour, you varlets, stop all this versifying. I too shall now leave it to the minstrel. Really, poetry isn't made to spread like a plague, but if it does it can be just as deadly.
I must say that I agree with this one. I do tried to adjust myself with the mood of the discussion in my last post (happily as a deconstructionist, I didn't have to do it in rhyme). With English not as a first language, it's quite hard to come with believable stuff prima vista.

So, what say you about the idea of pressuring the silent ones? Not from the joy of pressuring good people, but to make our traitors on the move and acting! As we probably won't have anything to base a real suspicion when the night falls, with all propabilities, we will be ending some miserable innnocent's days anyhow. So let us even try to wrench out something to hunt those evil souls in the days to follow?

EDIT: I'm not trying deliberately to haste things for any other reason as for the fact that I'll have to go to sleep in a minute, and may join you only towards the evening of the gameday - and would like to have offered something to the discussion before I go.

Last edited by Nogrod; 02-28-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I sometimes prefer silence to artificial noise.

And on that cryptic note, I shall leave you for a while to gather my energies...
Old 02-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Some degree of pressure on quiet players is a good thing -- a nudge like "I'd like to hear more from so-and-so" is likely to do the trick. And it's better if everyone talks, because then at least there is something substantial to back up your opinions of people.

However... while there is often one wolf who is one of "the quiet ones," we shouldn't base guilt solely on how much one talks. There are sometimes other reasons for being quiet -- RL conflicts, or as the game gets more heated, it takes a long time to actually read and process everyone else's posts!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I do agree with both Anguirel and Encaitare in their basic points.

It just feels to me too easy for one or two of the real villains to escape the first day, and thence kind of assure the already great probability rate to them - and what's the worst, not leaving a track to follow...

So, I'm not talking about this "pressure over the silent" as a whole-game tactics, but just as a way to make this wretched first day up and going - and maybe giving the villagers some tracks to follow the oncoming days (or with the best of luck, even this first day as the baddies would have to open their mouths).

If you think, that everyone could just stay silent if they wish, and be then ready to admit the benefit of doubt to anyone acting like that, then it's your opinion. Without better clues, I'll vote for the "silents". With some clues believable enough, I'll stick to them, of course. But how to get clues from villains who can trust their first day with two innocents dying just by staying silent?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Our dear beloved Ranger! Sleepy, you will be missed! And now, to find ourselves trapped, with a murderor and a traitor in our midst?

I fear my profession has perhaps been vindicated.

But I fear that nothing will be gained by pointing fingers at the quiet among us. All have different ways of dealing with grief...

We must be careful. It would be far too easy to point fingers at one who is too loud, or too quiet. What is more telling is what is or isn't said.

Therefore I must join my fellow herald (albeit of far different dooms) in urging the company gather together and work to understand the threat among us. Perhaps the traitor will slip.

EDIT: xposted with Nogrod.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Therefore I must join my fellow herald (albeit of far different dooms) in urging the company gather together and work to understand the threat among us. Perhaps the traitor will slip.
Well, probably not, if we say out aloud, that we will not lynch anyone holding his/her tongue silent today!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It seems that the most vocal tend to gain highest suspicion and then are lynched, innocent or not, leaving the village with least talkative and least likely to have left patterns. There is a town message board (Tol-in-Gauroth Jr thread) for extenuating circumstances. Of course, votes should be spread out but it would be nice for the quieter ones to feel the heat sooner than later.

Alert the scrollers-my contraversial statement
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #25
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Double post

Quote:
At least mine was only two lines!!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
It seems that the most vocal tend to gain highest suspicion and then are lynched, innocent or not, leaving the village with least talkative and least likely to have left patterns...... Of course, votes should be spread out but it would be nice for the quieter ones to feel the heat sooner than later.
Exactly to the point! (Well we post-structuralists tend to be such loudmouths anyhow, and more often than not, get ourselves nailed to the first tree there is.)

I do hope, than when I return, I won't be the one with most posts sent...
Old 02-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #27
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Perhaps five or six vote getters would be sufficient to spread out the vote enough to catch out a furry fanged one. Seems like this was a reasonable suggestion in a folkloric story some time back hence.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
tis a shame... all this woe that has befallen our fair village... i shall ring the death-bell at once
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #29
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Whew... Whats all of this, now?

My expert opinion really doesn't go very far on the subject of murders... I squeeze baby chickens for a living, you see... but how is it exactly that we can pick out a likely suspect just by how much he or she talks today? Everyone appears in agreement that one can either talk too much or too little and look suspicious, but that might just be their personality-like thing... or some such extra fancy lyrical vocabulary word. Not that I do not enjoy the poetry, just that some folks here are a little, well... simpler.

Now, that whole long rant was not meant to offend anyone. Its just near impossible to call a hen by its color... if you catch my meaning-- oh! Of course you don't. I mean to judge a book by its cover.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #30
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Dear, dear, Holy Freud and Pavlov above! Our much admired Sleepy has left our collective conciousness on this plane of existence!

A post-tramatic event we indeed have now! But, even though our psyche's are now in whirlwind of confusion, and soon as likely will go to blaming to justify the long forgotten happiness we wish to have, alas, let us not be too hasty and call ourselves Hamlets and Ophelias!

Reason and a good talk are needed here, and maybe even some bells - but the fact of the collectively agreed upon matter is, to look at this whole event and bring about in our concious state some agreed upon facts that we may have as to what caused this horribly depressing event to us all.

Let us discuss this out in a manner as to decide what can be the negative factors to Sleepy's death, and to our regression in finding justice to this matter.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #31
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
(Sorry 'bout the delay, RL kept me busy.) Well, I guess we're trapped with a psychokiller. Anyone have an attic I can hide in?

In all seriousness, there's likely to be nothing real to actually find out our attacker today alone. I imagine most guesses will simply have to be random. I agree with LMP, though. Spreading the vote, though not too thin, will definitely help sound things out. Now, the in-character things are all well and good, but we need sustance with it, if you can. If not, forego the character.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Really now, all this talk about 'taking a closer look' at the quiet ones....and this early in the first DAY...pish-aww!

I think the first DAY is pretty much a wait and see kind of thing--wait and see what everyone has posted and go from there closer to vote time. However, I really do wish right about now that I had my trusty meat cleaver with me....make me feel a little more protected against those of you who are evil.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #33
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It has fallen to me your minstrel, apparently, to open up the true debate.
I offer no plans, no brilliant schemes.
Instead, simply this: we have yet to hear from Thinlomien & Witch Queen. And to stir the pot just a wee bit, I choose now to adopt a certain method that comes down the paths of folklore over the many years.

There are three Wolves amongst us, and I know who they are:

Thinlomien
Witch Queen
Valesse

Please be so kind as to defend yourselves. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #34
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

Thinlomien
Witch Queen
Valesse

Please be so kind as to defend yourselves. Thank you.
I'm sorry, what?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #35
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
And to stir the pot just a wee bit, I choose now to adopt a certain method that comes down the paths of folklore over the many years.
Would that method be selecting a random villager and making them frantically sweat out exactly what they might have said that "tipped you off", good littleman minstrel?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa Aoife
I'm sorry, what?
Surely you do not require me to repeat myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse
Would that method be selecting a random villager and making them frantically sweat out exactly what they might have said that "tipped you off", good littleman minstrel?
Quite. Most obliged.

EDIT: I must to bed. I will have spotty ability to post from here on out toDay, and am somewhat disappointed at the hesitant posting so far (by many). My vote will come after a scurrying scan some time before noon tomorrow RL; it's too early toDay to vote now.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-28-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #37
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Are ve throwing accuzationz out alveady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP

Thinlomien
Witch Queen
Valesse

I vould like to hear vhy you KNOW zhey are ze enemies? I may be cruel but I do not vink ve should pick on va quviet vones yet. Some people handle tings diffently vhan udders.
But zince we must accuze zomeone I underzand your thoughtz, but ow do you KNOW?

I zink today we chould look at ooh is likely to betray uz
ooh among us as predicted dis all along Jenny! dats who!
And you Roa_ Aoife I am zo much prettyier zan you and your "azzets" you muzzt be jealouz!
But Thinlomien your birdzz ave alvays gave me de ebbey jeebyz

Ve must hurry! I vant to go ome to my manor! I ave not brushed my air in forever!

(*Thought I would spread out the choices a bit...I know they're random, but hey.*)
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria
Really now, all this talk about 'taking a closer look' at the quiet ones....and this early in the first DAY...pish-aww!

I think the first DAY is pretty much a wait and see kind of thing--wait and see what everyone has posted and go from there closer to vote time.
I meant not to take a closer look at the quiet ones this early! Just hoped us to voice our intention to do it when this first evening falls: as to lay some pressure on them to actually contribute something during the day. If the quiet one is a wulf, and knows to be safe by staying quiet, we most probably kill an innocent player posting much, and so being a good contributor to the game at later stages, and even enjoyable to play with: be s/he ordo, gifted or even a wulf!

Obviously our chances of killing an innocent are great in any case, but why to make the situation even worse? Or why to ruin our gaming-satisfaction by leaving all-non-contributors to stay alive and kill the productive & entertaining posters?

All these are thoughts on the tactics of the first day! As soon as we have something more solid on hand, we should go for it then and kill the maniac-cursed-villain, even if s/he be the most entertaining poster around!

PS. By quieteness I also mean posting nonsense...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #39
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

The problem is, Nogrod me ole deconstructionist, that not all who like to avoid attention are villains.

And not all who soak up attention through their every pore and embrace it like a long-lost love are innocents.

We can't be quite so formulaic.

The minstrel spoke some sense before he scarpered; of his three, I particularly suspect (on instinct, mind) Witch_Queen and Valesse. Largely because I know that...well, certainly Valesse is capable of expressing herself subtly and ought to have a good deal more to say. I expect she'll lean back on the old Day One excuse.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #40
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

In this town in particular, moaning about Day Ones is the act of a piteous coward, poltroon and fool. Remember the words of our recently lost friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
Well the first two will definately affect the game in some way but after that it all depends on how the game plays out. I won't be dropping off any hints but if you look closely enough you may just find something you could use to your advantage.
So in other words...any of us with more than a little sense should be spending time frantically analysing and over-analysing the introduction to our peril. Evidence could be right in front of our noses...